Big Twin Boise Id - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2005, 2:38 pm Thread Starter

Big Twin Boise Id

When on a 27 day Rocky Mountain ride I went to Big Twin for oil, tyres and front brake pads. When it didn't feel right up in the mountains just after I left I pulled over and checked it out=one brake pad put in backwards. Ruined rotor and pads. Just before I pulled over I was up to 145mph racing a Triumph Tiger just west of Sun Valley. This was the third near death experience from BMW service departments. Check all their work all the time. I don't think BMW auto's would put up with this kind of service. Maybe thay make their mecahnics go to BMW school. Big Twin did send me a rotor and pay for the repair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2832.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	751   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2835.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	361.8 KB
ID:	753  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2005, 4:12 pm

WOW !!! Im Glad your OK!!! Thats why I like working on my own vehicles, Unless it is technical. Happy riding.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2005, 4:29 am

Put the brake pad in backwards? Isn't that like putting sod down upside down?

"We deal in lead, friend"
----------------------------
'04 K12RS (capri blue)
'07 Triumph Speed Triple
'00 HD Road King
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2005, 6:25 pm

I think this represents an extremely unusual incident with Big Twin. I've had service done there for years and have always been very satisfied with the work. They did a clutch pack/rear main and spline lube on my R11RS when it was still under warranty, the bike has gone almost 90k since then (120k total) without clutch or splines being looked at. I watched their mechanic re-assemble and he was meticulous about everything. They also checked the rest of the bike over and replaced a couple of smaller items-- sidestand cutout switch, for one--that were on the verge of failure, and did so at *their* insistance, they wanted the machine right. Mind you, this was all on a motorcycle that I had purchased at another dealership! So, I can understand your surprise and dismay at finding the brake pad problem but I don't think it's indicative of the work that normally comes out of that shop. Also, I note thay they sent you a replacement rotor and paid for the repair, and I'm betting they did so with no problem. One sure sign of a good dealer is when they step up and take care of their mistakes--and the only way to have mechanics of any caliber make no mistakes is to have them doing nothing.

I have no financial interest in Big Twin, just a satisfied customer for a lotta years.

GTRider
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 2005, 2:15 pm

oh my, how quickly things can change

Just look at the financial devastation the United States had endured in only 5 years after electing a new President......Well, maybe then you can imagine what can happen when one or both of your dealers 2 mechanics walk-out, retire or whatever.........and then mistakenly the dealer hires the 3 stooges to take over the service dept...

Yes, it happens that quickly.....

WWWOOOOOWOWOWOWOWWOWWWOOOOOO!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode