Ride West mucked up my clutch - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2008, 8:37 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Unhappy Ride West mucked up my clutch

I ride 2.5 hours each way to take my bike ('03 RS) to this Seattle dealership for service and I always get the work done on Saturday. They give me a loaner (an 800 twin this time which was less fun than I expected), and I'm on my way at the end of the day or earlier.

This time I get a call around 1PM and they say they've broken/cut or otherwise screwed up my clutch cable. I say cable? It's hydraulic. They say cable or hose, whatever - we can't get a part today and you'll have to leave your bike until Tuesday at the minimum.

I get a better loaner, add bags from the sales dept (reluctantly) and go home and do my errands on the way. This is the Labor Day weekend but I didn't have a bike ride planned - just getting ready for a big one in two weeks.

So I go back on Thursday (weekday Seattle traffic from the North is not to be desired), go to the service dept and ask to see the clutch 'cable'. It's been thrown away. I ask the manager (not the substitute who was there Saturday) what had happened and she doesn't have a clue - they just broke the cable.

I then ask to see the boss as I'd like to be compensated for my 5 hours of time spent as a result of their mistake. She's the boss I'm told. I explain why I want compensation and it seems a bit incredulous to her. I go off and connect my Givi case, check my bike for other f**k-ups and come back to the desk. She says there's 100 bucks for my trouble. I say you don't think very highly of my time, but leave it at that and take it.

I look in my Givi and find that they haven't installed something I asked to be done. No written documentation, just my word. The substitute manager didn't write it down even though I gave him the parts and explained it clearly. Obviously the other screw-up distracted them.

She offered to install the parts for free if it takes the 1/2 hour as we agreed it should.

By the way this service cost $922 with tax and it's not uncommon to spend that kind of dough at this joint - $90/hr for the 'skilled' technicians.

So, add this to my other minor pet peeves (repeat service for gasket leaks) and I can't see returning - even if I get a 'free' 1/2 of service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2008, 12:59 pm
Enthusiast

Try South Sound BMW in Fife

You should consider trying the Fife dealership. It is a whole different world down there. I have only been in the Seattle store a few times but did not care for the vibe I picked up there. Brendon the store manager runs a tight operation. I have had nothing but a stellar experience in Fife. Professional, courteous and competent.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2008, 2:20 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilynator
You should consider trying the Fife dealership. ...
I've thought about it but the extra 70 miles and travel through Seattle on I-5 makes little sense. I'd have to go 6.5 to 7.5 hours round trip for every service.

It is a good choice for anyone central or to the South, I'm coming down from the North.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2008, 4:23 pm

I won't go near Rape West anymore. I do all my business via South Sound BMW in Fife. The difference between the dealerships is night and day. Neil at the service desk is awesome, and Aaron the parts dude is top notch. I've never been done wrong there. And a lot of that falls on Brendan the GM. He's nothing like a normal GM. You would never guess he was in that role looking at him.

The weird part... Ride West and South Sound are owned by the same people. But they are managed independently as competing dealers.

Anyway, worth the ride my friend, I promise. Oh and there are back ways around Seattle. PM me if you want some advice next time you need service.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2008, 10:04 pm

Exclamation

Lessee, the dealer had a problem while doing the work, they called you and stood up for what had happened, gave you a loaner for the entire duration your bike was down, made the bike right, paid you a C-note for your "time" and installed for free something you may or may not have purchased from them. And you go off on them in an internet forum because you think they haven't treated you right?? Jayzuz, it's no wonder BMW riders acquire a bad rep WRT attitude and rude behavior. I think your dealer was very fair with you, and you less so with them. All I can say is you ought to try pulling the same crap in a Japanese marque dealership. They'll have fun laughing after they've thrown your sorry butt out the door.....

$0.02 worth,

GTRider
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2008, 10:47 am Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRider
Lessee, the dealer had a problem while doing the work, they called you and stood up for what had happened, gave you a loaner for the entire duration your bike was down, made the bike right, paid you a C-note for your "time" and installed for free something you may or may not have purchased from them. And you go off on them in an internet forum because you think they haven't treated you right?? Jayzuz, it's no wonder BMW riders acquire a bad rep WRT attitude and rude behavior. I think your dealer was very fair with you, and you less so with them. All I can say is you ought to try pulling the same crap in a Japanese marque dealership. They'll have fun laughing after they've thrown your sorry butt out the door.....

$0.02 worth,

GTRider
And your time may be worth $0.02 but mine is worth more. Considering they charge $90/hr. and don't get it right, waste 5 hours of my time and can't explain what went wrong, didn't offer any compensation and forgot to install the item I had requested - forcing me to re-visit their 'sorry butts' one more time - maybe you get the picture...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2008, 11:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispat
And your time may be worth $0.02 but mine is worth more. <snip> - maybe you get the picture...
Hoooahhhhh, that's a hoot. Look, if you're in the bike delivery and shuttle business then your time is worth something when a dealer holds you up. When you're having a (largely recreational) vehicle repaired your time isn't worth a dime, 'cept in the self-delusional recesses of your spolied, self-centered mind. You've apparently never worked in business, you sound like a university prof or similar out-of-touch with reality type. What, the grocer should give me a free bag of groceries because the bagger took too long, in my opinion, to bag my order?

Your dealer stood up straight for you, even kissed your arse and tucked a c-note in the crack for good measure. You were probably rude and I'm betting a PITA to deal with in the process. If I were your dealer next time you brought the bike in you'd be given at least a two-week lead time and assigned a completion date two weeks hence, for even the simplest service. Hopefully, there'd be another "perfect" dealer nearby you could try in the interim....

Sorry, but that's the way I see it and I'd bet I'm not alone in that--I just took time to put it on paper....

GTRIder
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2008, 3:05 am Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Hoooahhhhh, that's a hoot. Look, if you're in the bike delivery and shuttle business then your time is worth something when a dealer holds you up. ..................

GTRIder
Hey Nibley GT, too bad you're wrong on most counts. Funny you say the dealer "holds you up"; exactly the way I felt. I think everyone's time is worth something, even your $.02. Now, rude and pain in the ass is they way I'd describe your attitude, you weren't there so you can't make a judgment. No need to defend what I do for a living - just trust me, being intelligent doesn't preclude working for a business.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2008, 11:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispat
I think everyone's time is worth something, even your $.02. Now, rude and pain in the ass is they way I'd describe your attitude, you weren't there so you can't make a judgment. No need to defend what I do for a living - just trust me, being intelligent doesn't preclude working for a business.
Bottom line: The dealer you are ripping did, according to your own description, go way above and beyond normal standards of business in trying to make you happy. In return, you ripped him publicly in an international forum. I challenge you to find another dealer who, in the same circumstance, will pay you for what you seem to think your recreational time is worth. Please, share that tidbit of information with us!

As someone with no small degree of experience in selling and servicing high-ticket goods I can tell you that in any business deal there are three elements: Great Price, Great Product, and Great Service/Delivery time. You get two out of three on any good business deal. The problem seems to be the astonishing number of BMW owners and riders who feel they are entitled to all three, all the time.

These are machines, not monuments or museum pieces. We ride them, they wear, they need service. And when people work on things, real people using real tools and making a living at it, things don't always go perfectly. Your dealer more than stepped up to take care of the issue with your service and even gave you something for your oh-so-valuable time. Were I he, I'd happily welcome back your service business but at a special, just for you rate-- X2 the normal shop rate so there'd be money there to pay you for your time. Oh yes, you'd need to add to the service cost the time I'd bill to the job while waiting for *you* to show up and collect the machine once we'd called to notify of completion. The dealer's time and floor space is worth something, too.......

Have a great ride,

GTRider

sds
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 11:13 am Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Bottom line: The dealer you are ripping did, according to your own description, go way above and beyond normal standards of business in trying to make you happy. In return, you ripped him publicly in an international forum....
GTRider
I believe I stated the facts, and did not "rip" anyone. The fact that this dealer has made mistakes in servicing my bike in the past also prompted me to express my opinion.

If someone reads my first comment and sees that I was compensated for what I thought to be an inconvenience then they might get a good opinion of this dealer. The fact that the service technician made a serious mistake is indisputable. The fact that the service writer forgot something is the same. If I pay close to $1000 for a single service I expect at least average if not good quality.

BTW: picking the bike up a day after their call cannot be considered unreasonable - they state the allowed time you can leave your bike on every contract. It's already worked into the cost of service; but of course you know that - you were in the business. Colored glasses come to mind.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode