Cost of Replacing Tires?? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 8:04 am Thread Starter

Cost of Replacing Tires??

While my '03 GT was at the dealer (Dunbar Eurosports in Brockton, MA) having the final drive seals and pivot bearings replaced (for the 2nd time in 3 years/13K miles!) to the tune of about $700, I asked them to change the tires with the new set of Dunlop Roadsmarts I supplied.

The tab for the tire replacement was $184.30! ($75.00 per wheel to replace the tires, $3.45 per balanceing weight - they used 4, and $6.75 per valve stem).

This seems a little exorbitant - I guess it's simply the dealer's way of making sure that buying tires somewhere else is no bargain. I'm sure I could have bought the tires from the dealer (at a much higher price) in which case the mounting charge woul have been less - but anyway you look at it, it chews up $400+ for new tires - price of admission to BMW ownership, I guess.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Mark

'03 BMW K1200GT (Orient Blue)
'00 BMW R1100SA (Mandarin/Silver)
'56 BMW R50 (for sale)
'74 R90S (Daytona Orange)
'06 Ducati Paul Smart Replica (for sale)
'81 Honda CBX SuperSport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 11:19 am
Enthusiast

You can see now why those that go through a lot of tires end up purchasing their own tire mounting units...

Gary
2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Grey
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 2008, 9:04 am
Addict

The price is way out of line for mounting the new skins, but I'm big believer in monitoring tires, and changing them probably earlier then I should. Guys new to riding are astonished when I tell them I swaped out a pair of Bridgestones at 6, 000 miles. I 've had much better luck with MZ-6's. They seem to wear much better, and somehow have better traction while providing higher mileage. I had a set of MZ-6's go 10,000 miles, and looked better than the Bridgestones with 6,000. I have noticed on other guys bikes as well that Bridgstones front tires cup out quickly. As luck would have it of course my 08 GT came from the dealer with Bridgestones. I'm sure 6,000 miles from now, I'll be mounting a set of Metzler's Z-6's. Back to your pricing question labor here is about $90.00 per hour looks like he hit you for 1 1/2 hours labour the rest is all that B.S. charges including the famous disposal charge for the old tires which they actually sell, and make money on. Don't let the price stop you from putting on new tires, it's the most important piece of equipment on the bike.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2008, 3:24 am
Enthusiast

Just had a set of Roadsmarts mounted and balanced at a local MC shop and was charged $20 per tire. I brought the wheels in myself so I saved the dismounting/mounting labor charge if they were still on the bike...

Gary
2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Grey
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2008, 8:26 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltown
Just had a set of Roadsmarts mounted and balanced at a local MC shop and was charged $20 per tire. I brought the wheels in myself so I saved the dismounting/mounting labor charge if they were still on the bike...

Amen on that...bring em in loose...save alot of cash....pluse you get a chance to really get the front wheel clean and check the bearings and at the same time easy and cheap to RnR the pads
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2008, 11:24 am
Looking for better limits...

Just replaced a Pilot Road 2 (nail) with another.

$5.00 - weights
$5.10 - valve stem
$35.00 - labor
$238.00 OTD - Bought the tire there
Could have done the online purchase then look for a place that would mount it, I suppose. Supposed to be raining all week, so the downtime wouldn't be that painful...but I also like the dealership, and my 2˘ may help keep them in business.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2009, 7:45 pm
Addict

Certainly sounds like you got stiffed.
The hourly rate for a shop tech shouldnt vary whether hes fitting tyres or changing oil.
They usually put trainee or apprentice techs on tyre duty so the cost to them is lower.
I cant imagine it taking them any more than an hour and I wouldnt be paying $184 an hour for workshop labour unless it included gratuitous sex while I was waiting.
I too change tyres early cos I love what it does to my bike but I tend to think about tyres in the light of what Im getting for my money rather than what they cost.

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2009, 9:18 pm
Enthusiast

YIKES - Tommy is a great guy - once you get to know him. Do your own tires - again they is someone on the south shore who does mt. & balance for 25-30 a tire - you ship or bring to him.
The seal issue & bearing is another issue!

'91 K75S
'06 K1200S
BMWMOA # 119240
Yankee Beemer # 153
NRA # 154764753
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2009, 11:18 am
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008-K1200GT
The price is way out of line for mounting the new skins, but I'm big believer in monitoring tires, and changing them probably earlier then I should. Guys new to riding are astonished when I tell them I swaped out a pair of Bridgestones at 6, 000 miles. I 've had much better luck with MZ-6's. They seem to wear much better, and somehow have better traction while providing higher mileage. I had a set of MZ-6's go 10,000 miles, and looked better than the Bridgestones with 6,000. I have noticed on other guys bikes as well that Bridgstones front tires cup out quickly. As luck would have it of course my 08 GT came from the dealer with Bridgestones. I'm sure 6,000 miles from now, I'll be mounting a set of Metzler's Z-6's. Back to your pricing question labor here is about $90.00 per hour looks like he hit you for 1 1/2 hours labour the rest is all that B.S. charges including the famous disposal charge for the old tires which they actually sell, and make money on. Don't let the price stop you from putting on new tires, it's the most important piece of equipment on the bike.
I don't know where you live, but not only do dealers have to pay to have old tires taken away. NYS has a $2.50 charge for every new tire sold.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2009, 2:34 pm

Just had the 12K service done and had two Avon Storms thrown on. $400 for the tires and $65 per tire to 'Renew' ( remove from bikes, dismount old tire, mount new tire , balance new tire, and reinstall).

Looking at some of the mounting and balancing machines available, What is the consensus?

At 130, a machine would pay for itself in 5-7 changes.

The Z-6s were getting squirrelly.

Terry

2007 K1200 GT
1998 R1100 RT traded in

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode