BMW of Daytona/Orlando.....worst ever!!!! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2009, 12:12 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thumbs down BMW of Daytona/Orlando.....worst ever!!!!

I'm a BMW newby, and I hate that this is my first post on the forum. I've been riding for almost 40 years, and have bought and sold a lot of bikes. This was the worst treatment that I've had buying ANY vehicle. Below is the complaint I sent to BMW USA:

"I want to complain about my treatment at BMW of Daytona/Orlando, while buying a new 2008 K1200S this week. I live near Fort Worth, Texas and flew out to Orlando to pick up the bike and ride it back. This is my first BMW purchase, and may be my last, based on the way the dealership treated me. Here is a list of my complaints:

1. While negotiating the deal with BMW of Daytona; Ty, the salesperson, agreed to give me 10% off accessories with free installation. Ty gave me a total out the door price, I gave him a credit card deposit, and I sent him an email to verify all that we had discussed. He responded by refusing to provide me with free installation of the $1500 worth of accessories I had purchased. The next day, Frank, the manager, also refused. As evidence, I reminded them both that I had never been given a price for the installation cost. I wound up paying the $135 for the install.
2. After agreeing on a price, being provided an out the door cost, providing the dealership with a $1000 credit card deposit, creating a cashiers check for the balance, and making airline reservations, the dealership notified me the next day that they had forgotten to add a $500 fee for dealer prep. I asked, "At what point do we reach a verbal contract on the price?" We had agreed on a price, and I had provided a deposit, based on that price. If they made a mistake, they should suffer the consequences and absorb that fee. They refused to consider my position, and charged my credit card for the difference. At this point I was almost $650 over the agreed upon price (forgotten fee, and installation fee).
3. The bike was transferred from their Daytona facility, to their Orlando facility for delivery. My airline reservations had me arriving at Orlando, which is just a few miles from the dealership. I asked if someone could pick me up at the airport. They refused, costing me $40 in cab fare.
4. At delivery I had to specifically request an orientation on the bike. While the staff was polite, they seemed to have little time for me once I gave them the cashiers check. Since I was mailed all the paperwork in advanced, and told to sign it, I never had an opportunity to go through the delivery checklist at the dealership, with the bike.
5. Upon leaving the dealership, I noticed a "LAMPF!"warning on the computer. Because I was behind schedule, and in heavy traffic, I did not return to the dealership. I knew this would be a warranty issue I could take care of later. However, it was evidence to me that the dealership had not performed a thorough pre-delivery inspection. This issue is still outstanding, but will be resolved at my local dealership in Fort Worth, Texas.
6. While cleaning up the bike at home, I discovered chemical damage to the inside of the windscreen. At some point, it appears that brake fluid had sprayed onto the inside of the windscreen, from the master cylinder bleeder. The only way I can account for this damage would be that the dealership allowed brake fluid to spray the inside of the windscreen during the delivery prep. Daytona told me that there was NO WAY their guys would have done this, and implied that I had somehow caused it. My problem is that I need a new windscreen under warranty, and I'm not sure how the Fort Worth Dealership will respond, since they did not cause the damage.

Bottom line is that BMW of Daytona/Orlando made this the worst buying experience of my life. I've been riding bikes for almost 40 years, and this is my first BMW. I made every effort to be clear, and polite when complaining to the dealership, and they refused to respond. I feel like I was deceived during the buying process, and dealership refused to compensate me for their mistakes. The delivery was inadequate. Basically, I walked in, gave them the check, and they gave me the keys. I was totally dissatisfied.

While BMW of Daytona/Orlando may use the economy as an excuse for their declining sales, a larger problem is their poor management and customer service. It doesn't take long for the online forums to fill with stories like mine, when they are providing a poor customer service. The only reason I tolerated this abuse was because they have a monopoly on the 2008 K1200S, and they are offering a price that reflects the rebates offered by BMW. I'll never recommend or use their services, again.

At this point, I need is help in getting a new windshield installed under warranty. I'll be going to BMW of Fort Worth, for this service."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2009, 5:43 am
Veteran

But other than that, it's a great bike. After a few days, you will forget the bad experience and enjoy the bike more.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2009, 7:26 am
Enthusiast

I am sorry for all your trouble, but there is a lesson in there for you too. Get a signed contract in front of you prior to forking over any money. You need to protect yourself. The world is full of people that are not looking out for your best interests.

In the end, did you end up with a better out the door deal than the local dealer was offering? Was the difference worth the problems?

Don't let this spoil the fun you are going to have with that new bike....and congrats on the new ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2009, 7:37 am

And there may be another lesson - while the local dealer may not be the cheapest, there is value in buying local. Had Pecan done that, the issues wouldn't have been issues.

For example, I bought one of the aluminum paint K12S bikes last winter. Base gasket of front brake reservoir leaked a bit, put a few spots in the paint. Replaced under warranty, zero problem.

Lest I sound too sanctimonious, I have been guilty of visting strange women, I mean dealers, in a few purchases, but mostly deal locally now.

K100RS 1985
2008 GS Adventure
S1000RR
KTM 525EXC
Keeps me off the streets
Keeps BMW in the black
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2009, 11:34 am
JCW
contributor

I'll bet that this was one of the bargain basement leftover K1200S with a fairly slim profit margin.

You know, the ones hurting the resale value of our bikes. The ones that are selling for nearly $7000 less than a lot of people paid just a year ago.

Just saying...

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2009, 12:55 pm
Looking for better limits...

Must be one of those that was selling for $10,999 as advertised on the back of some motorcycle magazines...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2009, 1:40 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for all of the insights.

Yes, it is one of the last "clearanced" K1200S's. I'm not going to apologize for taking advantage of a good deal. However, that is no excuse for the treatment I received. I actually talked to my local dealership about the entire situation, before buying. Seeing that they had no more 2008's, they acknowlegded that it was worth taking advantage of the bargain, and I expect they will give me good service, regardless.

Yes, I did have a written contract overnighted to me after all the verbal contracts via the phone. But, it corrected all the mistakes the dealership had made over the phone, in their favor.

The bike is amazing, and on a different level than anything I've ever ridden. I've done the R1 cross country, and the Concourse cross country. This bike is a perfect blend of both. I have nothing bad to say about it.

J
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2009, 2:14 pm
Addict-oholic

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecanflyboy
Thanks for all of the insights.
The bike is amazing, and on a different level than anything I've ever ridden. I've done the R1 cross country, and the Concourse cross country. This bike is a perfect blend of both. I have nothing bad to say about it.J
That says it all !!!

Forget where you bought it, and you had little choice as they were the only people to have your bike.

On the other hand, I have nothing but good things to say about the 2 dealers I talked to about buying a new bike. I went with the dealer that had the best price and wanted my business and did what I needed to get my confidence

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2009, 6:16 pm
OVD

Wait a minute... Are you guys blaming the guy for buying the bike at a cheap price, taking advantage of the promotion BMW itself has initiated?! Common, people, that's just brutal and snobbish...

2009 K1300S
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2009, 7:58 pm
Addict-oholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVD
Wait a minute... Are you guys blaming the guy for buying the bike at a cheap price, taking advantage of the promotion BMW itself has initiated?! Common, people, that's just brutal and snobbish...
No, it's not the purchaser's fault. It is the dealer who is at fault here. I don't blame the purchaser for being upset. Fortunately, all BMW dealers are not like the one he is pissed at!.

I took adavantage of the recent promotion at a cheaper price than it was previously.. And, my BMW dealers were good about it, and they were very happy and went about their business in a very courteous manner.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode