Ozzie's BMW in Chico, CA is on my list to get my next bike's business. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2009, 9:32 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Ozzie's BMW in Chico, CA is on my list to get my next bike's business.

They did my recent valve check and brake system (servos) flush on my 2006 K1200GT (about $620). They are maybe 400 miles from my home and the GS-911 was reporting a "Valve Check" at around the time I would pass through Chico, CA. Scheduled it with "Wonder Woman Lily" (i.e. Service, Sales, Parts, Occasional Wrench, Bike Washer, Mediator, Adviser, etc.) at Ozzie's, and off I go.

However, the bike went into some hysterics of "No Idle" along with some "High Idle" (3200 RPM) stuff due to the infamous airbox warpage in Nevada. Once at Ozzie's BMW in Chico, their head mechanic Mike (25 years bike experience, plus some more from the local BMW car dealership) explained the whole process of "It (airbox) warps under a long ride, and then it sticks in either mode." Made sense and verifies much of the early fettling stuff too..

However, that added warranty idle servo part also added to the delay so they drove me to the airport and I got a rental car and left it with them for a week+.

Once I got back to them, I met their mechanic Jessie who worked on the bike and he had a very bad feeling that the warranty provided would not solve the idle issue (BMW NA went with the cheaper Idle Servo Control motor rather than the newer airbox). He said, "Since I'm in there already, why not just give him (me) the new airbox?" Didn't happen. BMW NA attributes it to a mis-communication.

Later, after leaving and 150 miles down the road, it acts up again. High idle is back and is pretty consistent about sticking without cracking the throttle a few times. Crap.

Home I go and it sticks (H.I.) at every freeway off-ramp. Crap, times 2.

Once home, it gets towed off to local dealer by Auto Club where it still sits.

I reported back to Ozzie's in Chico it was still messed up. They (Lily) got back to me that BMW NA approved the airbox switch now. Crap, times 3.

Local dealer has a whole new Service Manager crew (he recently fired previous manager) who still are a bit computer illiterate on the BMW online service stuff. They tend to put the "paid" bikes ahead to avoid computer online warranty paperwork as both new service managers aren't up to BMW PuMA speed yet and still taking online courses from BMW. They are a multi-line dealer so other manufacturers stuff is already pressing in their shop. Maybe bit off too much to chew? The BMW patrol bikes (often non-warranty damages) go to the head of the line which is infuriating when common folk who need warranty service.

Knowing that the Chico dealer said that the new airbox was approved by BMW NA and it should be in the system, I thought it should be a piece of cake for local dealer. Appears local dealer wasn't satisfied with that and "We're on it now and it may not be warrantied. Sign here." Okay, they are still computer slow on getting up to speed on BMW issues too.

Nearly two weeks have passed without the bike getting into the local shop to be even looked at or parts ordered. It's just sitting buried in dirt near a fenced lot off the CA-99 freeway. Warranty is up in two more weeks. Cops around here go first since they bill them directly for very big dollars, and they are way brutal on their bikes and more than they let on to.

So I decided to ramp it up a bit and called the phone number found elsewhere on this forum to Thomas at BMW NA. Got his answering machine and left a message, "The local dealer needs a good poking with a stick. Here's the last seven digits of my VIN number..."

A while later, Thomas called back and didn't seem too happy I found his private phone number extension and wanted to know where I got it. I never mentioned this site at all nor where I got it from, just "It was written on a piece of paper that was given to me by someone." He did take the case though, after a lot of verbal work on my part as he wanted to dodge the technical issues entirely and let the dealer(s) handle it. That's not gonna happen here. He said "He'd get back to me later in the week" and I thought, "Yeah. Sure he will."

Within the next two hours it appears he contacted the dealer in Chico, the online service filings by the Chico dealer's Lily (who sort of runs the front shop area with two very large screen computer LCD's), and my local dealer too. It helped that the Chico dealer did inform them as to the exact problem which sped up the local tech's diagnostic work, and now the newest version airbox is being sent to the local dealer for installation by their lead BMW tech - who has avoided my bike at all costs so far.

Whew!

But wait, this is the interesting part....

The owner of the Chico dealership, Ozzie, called me personally at work and offered to come and get my bike and trailer it back to his shop which is 400-500 miles distant (One way!) to make sure it was fixed correctly since my local dealer was <ahem!> slow (my words). "It's how I've built my business over the years" Ozzie said to me. "Wow!" That would be around 800-1000 miles round-trip which is way overboard for service from any dealer in my book. It even about knocked BMW NA's Thomas out of his chair when he found out about the offer and we both agreed the black plaques that Ozzie has received for "Outstanding Service" from BMW over the years on his shop's walls were well deserved indeed. "The man. The legend." as one customer said when he introduced him to his wife in the shop while I was there.

Had it not been for the airplane ride to Chico (~$800) or Amtrak's (~$80) ridiculous arrival time of 1:59 AM to get there, plus the ride back, I might have gone for it. Ozzie's mechanic Jessie (10 years of K-series bike experience) had found numerous other bolts missing or installed in wrong places from other dealers I've used in the past (body panel screws are pointed, fwiw). It's sort of a problem not having a local dealer for so many years and wandering about for service.

However, I also felt the new local dealer "Needed a good sharp poking with a stick" and I think they got the message tonight when I went to see how they got along with Thomas at BMW NA. Hope they got the idea. I think "They learned something" as my drag-me-into-this-mess-of-yours witness said to me later after we left their shop.

Once BMW AG gets the current beta K1300 debugged in another year, I may well buy my next K-bike at Ozzie's in Chico, CA.

"For a dealer to offer to drive ~1000 miles and trailer my bike from another dealer to fix under warranty is way above board in my book." Way cool, Ozzie!

My

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2009, 12:24 pm
Addict

It's nice to hear about Ozzie's stepping up with their incredible service offer especially after reading some of your horror stories with your local dealer.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2009, 5:59 pm
Addict

WHen I crunched my RIMs near Oregon, I had the biked towed to Ozzies. BMW roadside would take it to Medford, but thats just 3 hours further North.

I was very happy with the service, and followup work they performed. Small shop, but seems like they are straight forward and support the customer with BMW NA. I had some warranty work done as well as the insurance work.

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode