New and Not Very Happy - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2009, 11:51 am Thread Starter
Noob

Angry New and Not Very Happy

Hi, I'm new to the forum and BMW bikes previously owning a Honda VFR VTEC (never missed a beat) and a Suzuki Bandit before that.

I live in Poole, Dorset and having test ridden a a new K1300GT at my local dealer, I contacted numerous BMW dealers searching for the best deal! - No surprise having read other posts, - many did not even have the common courtesy to reply. - Come on, there's a recession on and I had budgeted £15k cash for a new bike. - These people really do not deserve to survive!

I saw a 2008 K1200GT on the Park Lane website with 696 miles on the clock for under £10k and decided that I couldn't justify the extra £5k for the additional 7BHP or to be able to say that I'd bought brand new. I organised a test ride by telephone and travelled the 120 miles the following week to Park Lane.

On arrival, I was told that I could not test ride the bike. - When I protested, the salesman 'Mr C' basically called me a liar, claiming to have told me on the phone that I couldn't test ride the bike. - Who travels 120 miles to buy a bike in the full knowledge that you can't test ride it? - Certainly not me!

Over to the Sales Manager who eventually gets me out on a test ride, having removed the panniers- We agree a price and for me to return a week later to collect the bike.

On arrival a week later, I am now dealing with The 'Business Manager.' I find that the bike has done 300 extra miles than advertised and recorded on the signed Sale Contract and one of the panniers has scratches. - I have travelled 120 miles again this time on a one way ticket (obviously).

When I protest about the 300 miles the bike has done since both I and Park Lane signed a Sales Contract and the scratches on the pannier, Mr Business Manager will neither budge on the price of the bike, offer me any parts or accessories or any other form of compensation. - His abrupt response, "YOU DON'T HAVE TO HAVE THE BIKE!" Would he pay the return fare to Poole for my wife and I, No! But if I took the bike he would consult with Mr Sales Manager and get back to me on Monday and 'may do something.' - Oh yeah!

Guess what, 3 days later - not prepared to refund a penny or otherwise compensate. - No surprise there!

I phoned BMW UK immediately, registering a formal complaint and was told that they would speak to Park Lane and phone me back. - they didn't. I then wrote to BMW UK and so far no reply. This is disgraceful!

Now in the meantime, I went to my Local Hein Gericke dealer to buy a helmet. - A member of staff was admiring my bike and we got into a conversation about Park Lane. - RED RAG TO A BULL He had bought a R1200RT from them, suffered at least as appauling treatment as a customer and the bike had numerous faults under warranty. He tells me that whilst like me Park Lane is 120 plus miles from home, he did contact them over the faults, but they 'refused' to accomodate him, referring him instead to our local dealership.

To say that I am angry is an understatement. I don't expect anyone to 'bow and scrape' but as a small businessman, I would like to be treated in the same way that I treat my customers. - I bet Charlie Boorman and Ewan McGreggor were treated better!

I have only made a few searches so far on the various forums and already found others less than happy with Park Lane. - And by sheer chance I bump into somebody I've never met before, who like me travelled over 120 miles, months before me and was treated at least as badly. - There must be others!

I want to know why BMW UK are allowing this to happen. Park Lane may have the monopoly on supplying Police Bikes, but those in the know (Park Lane included) are aware that UK Police went over to Honda before and are actively considering moving away from BMW again. - Park Lane are going to need private customers again. Don't treat us like dirt or like idiots, especially not in a recession!

Rant over. - Apologies for such a lengthy first posting, but I am angry to say the least

We're all mad. It's those who don't know it that have the problem!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2009, 1:58 pm
Addict-oholic

The dealers here in the colonies are much nicer. At least for all my expereinces at 3 delaerships in the New York Metro area. In fact, I bought my first BMW because of a local dealer and sold my Honda, because of the nice sales person and a test ride.
Hope yopu have better experience at another dealer. How did the bike get the adsditional 300 miles in such a short time?? And whoever used it, put the scratches on it.
What crap, some dealers are .................

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2009, 11:46 pm
Telepathetic

Find a bike here in the former colonies, buy it, fly over here and enjoy, pack the bike up and ship it home. I'll be happy to ride around with you and show you the area.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2009, 9:59 am

Not sure what you are bitching about.

They lied to you at the beginning about the test ride. Yet signed an offer sheet for the bike.

They screwed with you on pick up and put an extra 300 miles on the bike and you took the bike.

Since you had zero leverage, they didn't work anything out with you.

The business manager gave you gave you great advice, "Don't buy the bike from us!"

Why didn't you support the local dealer? You made two 120 mile trips and any work / support is 120 miles and you saved what?

Customers decide whether a business stays in business, you should have walked away and ranted without buying the bike. Enough people do that, then the dealer either changes customer service or goes under pretty simple.

Buyer beware!

Terry

2007 K1200 GT
1998 R1100 RT traded in
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2009, 12:24 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the vote of support!

I didn't support my local dealer, because, being prepared to buy a new bike at $30,000 in your money (on a good day) they were only prepared to knock off $400. - I'm sure you know there is recession on. (I beleive your bankers started it.) The salesman's comment was "that's the best I can do, it's not like I've got a showroom full of them that I need to get rid of!" - In a recession, I expected a better response than that. - As it is I bought 'Used' and he has got eight of them used that he needs to get rid of! - So the 'attitude' cost him a sale.

I saved $3,000,00 by travelling 120 miles and can still use my local dealer for service. - They are happy to do this even though I bought elsewhere and they have the best reputation in the UK for service and customer care. - Pity the salesman hasn't realised there's a recession on.

I could have told Park Lane to stick it up their a**e, but that would have 'been biting off my nose to spite my face!'

If you read the various forums, Park Lane have an appauling reputation, yet people in the UK are prepared to travel the distance to buy their very low mileage ex-company bikes at the lowest prices in the country.

The point I am making is that, the low prices do not excuse the staff treating customers with utter contempt and basically taking the p*ss! BMW Motorrad UK describe Park Lane as 'The Flagship State of The Art Showroom.' - Furthermore, Park Lane are not a franchise, they are directly owned by BMW Motorrad UK, who must be aware of the appauling reputation Park Lane are getting for themselves.

Don't you find that disapointing?

We're all mad. It's those who don't know it that have the problem!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2009, 8:21 am
Addict

i always question the legitamacy of a post when it's from a person who's very first post is a negative one. if you were lied to and treated poorly on consecutive visits to the dealership you shouldn't have bought the bike from them. when you get treated like shit and you buy anyway it tells the seller it's OK to treat you like shit since you're going to buy anyway. i don't care how much money i could save on a purchase i refuse to buy anything from any business that doesn't show me a little common courtesy and respect. i'd much rather give my money to someone that is courteous and respectful even if it means paying more.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2009, 12:02 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcraft
i always question the legitamacy of a post when it's from a person who's very first post is a negative one. if you were lied to and treated poorly on consecutive visits to the dealership you shouldn't have bought the bike from them. when you get treated like shit and you buy anyway it tells the seller it's OK to treat you like shit since you're going to buy anyway. i don't care how much money i could save on a purchase i refuse to buy anything from any business that doesn't show me a little common courtesy and respect. i'd much rather give my money to someone that is courteous and respectful even if it means paying more.
Good point. I wonder if they didn't just go on various BMW boards and do the same thing, then pointing the Park Lane folks to the "massive" internet publicity (negative) as a tactic for payback. No visits since July 16th ...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2009, 1:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCass
(I beleive your bankers started it.)
Nice, beginning to understand why the dealer had an issue with you if that's your reaction when things don't go you way. Well, at least a BMW doesn't cost me $30k yet ... guess "my" bankers are still doing something right.

- CRASH -
IBA# 21680
"Motorcycles and beer, that is how I know there is a God and that he loves us."
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2009, 5:39 am
Rookie

Pretty obvious this guy is trolling, guys...

2008 K1200S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode