Bad experience with kbikeparts.com - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2010, 9:45 pm Thread Starter

Bad experience with kbikeparts.com

After several positive experiences with kbikeparts.com I recently had a very disturbing one that I thought I would share so that other members know who they're really dealing with when shopping there.

The background of the situation included lots of emails from myself questioning different parts and what the prices were for separate parts as well as prices for multiple parts. I tend to ask a lot of questions and a lot of times, too many I guess, I think of something I should have asked after I had just hit the sent button. Well after getting a price for a temp gauge, sensor, and wiring, I sent a PayPal payment. It was quickly refunded with the explanation that the quoted price did not included shipping and a total price was stated. After the increase in price I had second thoughts (and subsequently purchased the same parts for less money; some of which were purchased new from Bob's) and did not follow through with re-payment for the "new" asking price. I say "new" because my other purchases through the site had quotes which included shipping so I didn't have any reason to think this time was different. The refund email was received by me on July 16th @ 1349hrs EST and the next day I checked my email and saw the following message (received July 17th @ 0308hrs EST):

from DW Smith
to Todd
date Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 3:08 AM
subject The next time you need any parts...
mailed-by gmail.com
signed-by gmail.com

Please don't bother contacting me because you will not get them from me. Every time you want something from me it's like 15 or 20 emails of what about this or what about that with you wasting my time/effort and you trying to Jew me out of every single penny you can and, quite frankly, I'm sick of your bullshit. Either you want the parts I have at the prices I list or you don't. It's as simple as that. I have plenty of people who are more than willing to pay what I ask while being friendly about it while not wasting my time and if you don't want the parts at the prices I list then you can go take a hike. Clear enough?

And for the consistency of this thread I will post my reply parts of which some readers may find unnecessary or argumentative. Looking back I still feel I had every right to "defend" myself because I did not do anything that warranted the above email.

At the time of my response I was quite heated.

from Todd
to DW Smith
date Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 9:22 AM
subject Re: The next time you need any parts...
mailed-by gmail.com

Frankly I'm not sure what brought that rant on but if thats the way you want to be fine; it's your right and choice. I'm sorry if you feel I am a difficult customer but I like to ask a lot of questions to make sure I am getting exactly what I want/need. And as far as "Jew"ing you out of every penny, I am a fucking consumer and I want to get the best deal I can. Sorry I'm not the typical BMW owner who has more money than he knows what to do with. Every other time you have given me prices they included shipping so why should I have thought this time was any different? You quoted ne $90 for the gauge and I paid $90, wtf? And don't worry, after this uncalled bitch fit I wouldn't be buying any more parts from you anyway and I plan on recommending others do the same.

Just thought I would share my most recent experience with this seller.

Todd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2010, 6:25 am

Missing the point?

Does the use of the term "jew me out of every penny" bother anybody?
I think this says more about the character of the participants than any thing else.
Don G
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2010, 12:53 pm Thread Starter

I'm not Jewish but in all honestly that's the one part that bothered me the most. The seller is not aware of my religious background/beliefs so I was pretty shocked that that comment was made.

And I agree it speaks a lot about the character. The email as a whole was unnerving because it was so unexpected. I have purchased several parts from the site in the past with no issue. The fact was he quoted me $90 and that's what I paid! The exact email was:

from DW Smith
to Todd
date Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 5:31 PM
subject Re: Long Choke Cable
mailed-by gmail.com
signed-by gmail.com

I'll do the gauge, lead and sensor for $90.

And as stated in my first post, past purchases were quoted as shipped prices so I was under a reasonable assumption that this followed suit.

Last edited by toddlamp; Jul 20th, 2010 at 12:59 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2010, 2:54 pm
Addict-oholic

Very offensive indeed.No merchant should use the derogatory term of "jew" in that sense., no matter his personal feelings...

If anybody does that to me, and it has happened a few times in my life, in business, they are "done" never to be spoken to again for any reason..

Anyway, this guy is out of my future radar if I need parts.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2010, 6:13 pm
Rookie

Somebody has to respond....

The kbikeparts guy--Drake--is one of the most helpful members of the riding community I've ever known. He participates on many different fora and is always extremely generous with his time and his expertise.

That expertise--and the genorosity with which he shares it--ought to be acknowledged by this community as it is elsewhere.

That someone had a personal conflict with another individual--and kbikeparts is a one-person operation--has a story behind it which probably isn't worth going into since it can never be recreated in its entirety.

But character and integrity can be documented on fora like these--K11OG, BMWMOA, just to name a few.

I'm a college professor of some forty years' experience, and I find student comments of this type from time to time; I've learned, however, to contextualize them with what others have had to say from the same population--and then ignore them.

Larry Johnson
2003 K1200LT
1991 K75RT
1996 K11LT (sold)
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2010, 8:31 pm
JCW
contributor

Man, I love posts like these. Condescending and arrogant. Funny how after college, my opinion of my college professors diminishes with time in the real world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljjohns
I'm a college professor of some forty years' experience, and I find student comments of this type from time to time; I've learned, however, to contextualize them with what others have had to say from the same population--and then ignore them.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda

Last edited by JCW; Jul 20th, 2010 at 8:39 pm.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2010, 12:00 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW
Man, I love posts like these. Condescending and arrogant. Funny how after college, my opinion of my college professors diminishes with time in the real world.
Only diminished?

Mine is more of a 180 shift.

Sort of like when the cop lectures me about, "Ya know, speed kills." Yeah? Tell that to an Indy or Nascar driver that drives 200 mph. It's 'the stop' that kills according to physics. You can do 200 mph all day long as long as you don't barf-up someplace. Hell, I have a greater risk slipping in the bathtub - and I probably soon will need a mandated helmet law to even go there too.

Mack
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2010, 10:38 am
Noob

Totally positive

I have communicated with and bought parts from Drake two or three times. Never less than totally helpful and fairly priced.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2010, 11:32 am
Addict

He was most likely just having a bad day, and the OP's inquisitive nature was the last straw. Honestly though, a merchant has a right to refuse service to anyone, but he should not have gone off like that. But I understand how one can be annoyed at someone perceived as wasting his time.

I don't know how much time was spent, but when a merchant spends a great deal of time to sell a few parts that may only generate minimal profits, it is rather exhausting and frustrating. There are enough resources out there that one could easily find part numbers for the correct part for their application without the need to ask a multitude of questions spread over a multitude of emails. And to kbikepart's defense, we haven't heard his side of the story, so don't be too quick to judge.

I do agree that the jew comment was uncalled for, but then again, I also believe that stereotypes exist for a reason.

2006 K12R Aluminum - 6/2007~current
-ESA, ABS, heated grips, sport bags.
-PCIII w/ dyno tuned street map
-Leo Vince Ti silencer
-HID main light
-HID aux lights
-dual air filters
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2010, 12:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljjohns
The kbikeparts guy--Drake--is one of the most helpful members of the riding community I've ever known. He participates on many different fora and is always extremely generous with his time and his expertise.

That expertise--and the genorosity with which he shares it--ought to be acknowledged by this community as it is elsewhere.

That someone had a personal conflict with another individual--and kbikeparts is a one-person operation--has a story behind it which probably isn't worth going into since it can never be recreated in its entirety.

But character and integrity can be documented on fora like these--K11OG, BMWMOA, just to name a few.
I actually agree with you. As I said I have purchased many parts from Drake in the past with positive results and, yes, he has passed on a large amount of K bike knowledge to all of us, myself included.

The reason for my post is to post the facts of what happened. There is no back story or personal conflict. It was obviously a business transaction that was no longer worth his time. My association with Drake with 100% professional and professionalism is what I expected. It was, IMO of course, completely uncalled for. The terminology, the tone, totally out of line. Yes, I ask a lot of questions. I am a consumer trying to buy used parts and want to make sure we are communicating about the same thing as well as agree on a price. I never used a hateful tone of voice in any of my emails so why was I so deserving of it? I was given a price and that is what I payed only to have it refunded and 12hours later receive the email I posted above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurson
I have communicated with and bought parts from Drake two or three times. Never less than totally helpful and fairly priced.
That has been my experience as well up until the present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznatamma
He was most likely just having a bad day, and the OP's inquisitive nature was the last straw. Honestly though, a merchant has a right to refuse service to anyone, but he should not have gone off like that. But I understand how one can be annoyed at someone perceived as wasting his time.
Pretty much my mindset to the T. However, I did pay and at the time the amount was comparable to other prices I found but had no problem supporting his site. Once the price went up the additional $9 (shipping cost) I decided to reconsider at take some time to recalculate costs. It seems to me that not resending the new shipped price immediately was the last straw. Unfortunately I have a limited source of money.

I'm not going to argue about the legalities of what circumstances services can be refused to a customer, it's not worth fighting. And I made it clear that no one can force him in the 1st sentence of my reply.

Quote:
I don't know how much time was spent, but when a merchant spends a great deal of time to sell a few parts that may only generate minimal profits, it is rather exhausting and frustrating. There are enough resources out there that one could easily find part numbers for the correct part for their application without the need to ask a multitude of questions spread over a multitude of emails. And to kbikepart's defense, we haven't heard his side of the story, so don't be too quick to judge.
I sent 11 emails over the course of July 16th. Some of these were asking about what was included with the gauge (because the sensor and sensor lead are required), later ones were asking about his PayPal address (because I keep forgetting that the email account he uses is the address), and even later ones were questioning what mounting hardware was included (because it wasn't listed in previous emails). I did send one email asking if the sensor (since the gauge was coming from a K1100RS) would work on my K75 but immediately followed that up with a 2nd email indicating that I did the search myself and determined that it would

Quote:
I do agree that the jew comment was uncalled for, but then again, I also believe that stereotypes exist for a reason.
I'm definitely not trying to start a political debate/argument. I'm also not surprised that people are supporting him. Up until July 17th I would have done the same. And yes, bad days happen. Unfortunately this could have and SHOULD have been dealt with differently. Rather than "cut me off" is such a dis-respective way, I would have expected that he contact me with his concerns and asked that if business transactions were going to continue in the same manner that I deal with him differently...etc, etc. Even still, if too many emails is your problem, well, then, I don't know how to help you. It's not like I expected an immediate reply.

The Jew-ing comment was uncalled for, I think we all know that.

Last edited by Razel; Jul 21st, 2010 at 12:21 pm. Reason: Fixed tags

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode