Wilbers USA :( - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2006, 7:01 pm Thread Starter

Wilbers USA :(

I am having a bad experience with Wilbers USA / Klaus
Is there any other place to have these shocks rebuilt? And I mean actually rebuilt not just charged for it.

1999 Graphite K1200RS
Speigler Brake Lines
Wilbers Shocks
Tinted Blinker Covers

"It's not who we are, but what we do that defines us..." -Batman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2006, 7:10 pm

What type of problem?

I was getting ready to order some Wilburs for my K1200R, but if you're having problems I'll just go with the Ohlins since I have a local suspension guy that I trust if I need to do any work in the future.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2006, 9:28 pm Thread Starter

I bought my bike used with wilbers installed and did not know when the last time they were serviced the bike had all paper work but no paper work on the shocks. The former owner told me the shocks were purchased right after he bought the bike new and could probably use servicing. Besides the front shock was soft feeling.

So I got on this site and asked if anyone knew where to get the shocks serviced and they pointed me to Klaus at WilbersUSA I emailed him and got really quick responses from him he was very helpful. I took off my front and rear shock sent them in (this was June of '05) Klaus got all the information from me riding style weight and rebuilt the front and rear shock and sent them back I installed and road the rest of the summer.

I was getting ready for a little road trip coming up this weekend and was installing a new battery and dropped a screw and upon fishing the screw out of the nether regions of the bike noticed the shock had been leaking so not knowing how long it had been leaking or how much I thought it would be a good idea to get it serviced so I emailed Klaus and he told me to try and tighten the bolt but it was still leaking the next morning so I emailed again and he said send it in and he would repair it under warranty if I had just had it in last June so I sent it.

After he received the shock he emailed me on the 10th:

Ben,
your shock has been repaired and will be shipped tomorrow.

I need your credit card number to charge the return shipment to = $ 20.00.

Your shock was manufactured in Feb. 2000 and not purchased from me. You said that I performed a rebuild service on these shocks, could it be that you are mistaken and had someone else do the service? I am saying this because I do certain things to the shocks that I service so I can identify them and your shock does not have these marks.
The problem was a leaking copper washer at the banjo fitting. The leak was due to the fact that someone used a washer slightly to big for the banjo bolt, it shifted to one side when torqued down and was crushed at the edge. It only provided a very very small seal area and started leaking.

Regards
Klaus Huenecke

I then sent a copy of the receipt where I was charged $213.00 and followed up with a phone call to thank him for getting it done so quickly and then preceded to tell him that I was going on a trip and would like to get the shock back as soon as possible. well to make a long story longer I get another email on the 12th :

Ben,
the shock has not shipped yet. I wanted to let it sit here for 48 hours to make sure all is OK before I ship it out, just in case.
Did you buy this shock new back in 2000 or did it come with the bike.

Regards
Klaus Huenecke

So I call again and ask him if he would please ship the shock out no later than Friday that would be the 14th well I get a notice today the 17th that the shock has been shipped and if I am lucky I will be able to pick it up at the UPS terminal Thursday morning and take the rest of the day off to get ready for my trip. I am supposed to leave early Friday morning.I don't know what the problem was the shock was supposedly done on the 10th but then again I am not sure if it was rebuilt the first time I sent it in?

1999 Graphite K1200RS
Speigler Brake Lines
Wilbers Shocks
Tinted Blinker Covers

"It's not who we are, but what we do that defines us..." -Batman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2006, 10:54 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwriders
I am having a bad experience with Wilbers USA / Klaus
Is there any other place to have these shocks rebuilt? And I mean actually rebuilt not just charged for it.
Place in Palo Alto, Calif. Aftershocks, run by Phil Douglas. Pretty reputable suspension guy. I had mine rebuilt there about three weeks ago, and once back on, headed for THCR. They're definately better than the stock shocks even after a rebuild. I had the stock ones on temporarily while the Wilbers were being rebuilt. Still on the trip back home, but no issues so far in 4k miles.

I've had good dealings with Klaus, but as mentioned elsewhere, it's not good when you're on the receiving end of a bad deal.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2006, 1:14 pm

Cool

You know it was Easter/Passover weekend.
The weather has been great for riding in NJ for the last two weeks, maybe Klaus is just backed up with orders for new shocks or rebuilds. Klaus has a small one-man operation, I am lucky enough to live within 2 hour ride of him get my shocks rebuilt same day on the spot if need to.

Master your environment, and you will survive just fine.
Chances favor the prepared mind.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode