Aftermarket exhaust w/ cat. converter - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2007, 4:42 pm Thread Starter

Aftermarket exhaust w/ cat. converter

As I understand it, the cat. converter on the new K bikes is part of the factory exhaust can, so you lose the cat if you switch to an aftermarket can. (Actually, it is located in the short connecting pipe attached to the muffler, but since this is replaced along with the muffler, you lose the cat anyway.)

I'd like to replace the can to lose some weight and improve the quality (not quantity) of the sound. But I want to keep the cat. It's not so much that I'm worried about emissions inspections. I just think it's irresponsible to increase the pollution created by the bike; we have enough air quality problems as it is.

So far, I only know of two aftermarket exhausts that include a cat: Laser Hotcam (as sold thru BMW; the Laser-branded version sold in the U.S. doesn't seem to include the cat), and Zard Powergun (looks like Remus Powercone; available thru Wunderlich).

SO...does anyone know of any other aftermarket options for the K12R that include a catalytic converter?
Thanks,
J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2007, 5:40 pm
JCW
contributor

You're lucky you can find two!

But I agree kinda. I used to be able to start the bike in the garage and take my sweet time pushing it out.

Now, if I start or shut the bike off in the garage, that exhaust smell fills the garage and comes in the house a little.

I'm genuinely very surprised at how much the cat con cleans the exhaust.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2007, 6:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW
You're lucky you can find two!
True enough. The only problem is, BMW wants a fairly ridiculous $970 for the Laser exhaust w/ cat that's sold as an "official" accessory. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't cost that much from Laser, and they do sell it w/ the cat under their own brand. Just not in the U.S., as far as I can see.

Oh well, maybe I can order it from overseas, where they care about air quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2007, 6:11 am
"Alpha Squirrel" and nutcracker.

Location: The " Jersey Shore" in the mountains of Toms River, New Jersey, USA
If ya really feel ya gotta be "green"............Mine passed emmissions w/o the cat with no problem. I wouldn't bother spending the cash if I hadda keep the cat. My pipe is cool to the touch within a minute of ride end....try that with a cat in place, but that's just me.http://www.sandbarcomposites.co.uk/

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory.....lasts forever. Shane Falco,"The Replacements" 00'
7.1 and done...06' K1200R-EZ Tuning Exhaust, EVO billet clutch slave, Evo dual race filter kit, Braking 'Wave' rotors and pads, Triton2 tail, Vario levers, Evo peg lowering kit, SW Motech crash bars, R&G sliders full set, Nippy Norman's rear fiberglass hugger, CRG bar end mirrors, ACS shield, RhinoMoto bar end sliders and CRG mounts, Evoluzione o2 modifier, Pazzo "shorty" levers, Cortech Sport Tail Bag and Saddlebags.....
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2007, 12:11 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall2fall
Mine passed emissions w/o the cat with no problem.
That's interesting. I didn't know they tested motorcycles for emissions in Jersey. I would think they'd make a visual inspection as well to see if you removed the cat--especially if you have an aftermarket can. But I guess that would require more know-how.

We haven't got that far yet in CA, but it's only a matter of time.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2007, 12:49 pm
JCW
contributor

I pulled the sticker off the Akra exhuast. With the Ti finish, it doesn't stand out as much and is at least a little stealthy.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2007, 4:55 pm Thread Starter

Good news--sort of. It is possible to buy the Laser Hotcam w/ cat here in the USofA...for about $300 less than BMW charges for the same item.
So any other folks wanting this exhaust should be able to save a few bucks.

Still don't know whether I want the Laser or the Zard...afraid the Zard might be unreasonably loud, as it appears to be an "absorption" type muffler, i.e., no baffle. Nice clean look, though, from what little I can tell.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2007, 7:51 pm

Ive always loved the look of zard, but since nobody else has it on, I cant see it as a sample. I have no idea what it sounds like, I find it stupid to get a can I dont know the sound of.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2007, 6:43 am
"Alpha Squirrel" and nutcracker.

Location: The " Jersey Shore" in the mountains of Toms River, New Jersey, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljimador
That's interesting. I didn't know they tested motorcycles for emissions in Jersey. I would think they'd make a visual inspection as well to see if you removed the cat--especially if you have an aftermarket can. But I guess that would require more know-how.

We haven't got that far yet in CA, but it's only a matter of time.
Glad ta hear I said something of interest. Seriously, they don't have emissions tests for bikes in NJ, but we did do one at my friends service station for laughs and giggles to shut-up a very 'green' asshole acquaintance (not friend) of mine. The difference between stock and 'no cat' were surprisingly negligible, and would definitely go 'un-noticed' by any inspection. I posted the results some time ago, only to see them lost when we had the 'big crash'. Maybe I can still dig 'em up and re-post 'em. My current 'can' has a removable baffle (as most do) to prevent any deep investigation , and so I'm not sweat'n my lost 'cat' in any way (and I'm certainly not missing the heat either). Further more, seeing that the 'cat' is in the OEM can.....who's gonna know? Anyway.........I have my friend with the service station do the inspection (as he's done for the required "state certification" of all the customs I've built in the past) AND, don't forget how bad Jesse James made the "People's State of California" look when he ran the EPA tests on his customs vs. an OEM 'green' model ( also known as the "AL GORE Big Twin" ) 2t

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory.....lasts forever. Shane Falco,"The Replacements" 00'
7.1 and done...06' K1200R-EZ Tuning Exhaust, EVO billet clutch slave, Evo dual race filter kit, Braking 'Wave' rotors and pads, Triton2 tail, Vario levers, Evo peg lowering kit, SW Motech crash bars, R&G sliders full set, Nippy Norman's rear fiberglass hugger, CRG bar end mirrors, ACS shield, RhinoMoto bar end sliders and CRG mounts, Evoluzione o2 modifier, Pazzo "shorty" levers, Cortech Sport Tail Bag and Saddlebags.....

Last edited by 2tall2fall; Jul 11th, 2007 at 6:52 am.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2007, 12:44 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall2fall
Further more, seeing that the 'cat' is in the OEM can.....who's gonna know?
So you're saying the cat is not out of the bag??
Thanks for the info. I actually was wondering whether anyone had tested the difference b/t cat and no cat. Love to see the data if you can find it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode