BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

If anyone cares, CIP 10.0 is out

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  lancillotto 
#1 ·
Content of the CIP CD10.0:
1. Updated program/data statuses and encoding data for individual control units:

1.1 BMS-KP (Engine Electronics):

General modifications/functional enhancements:

Affects all models in the R, K and F series as of construction status 08.2007:

Saving of odometer (GWSZ).

Saving of vehicle order and I levels.

Saving of service data (remaining distance to next service/date of next service).

R-Series:

Series-specific program and data status modifications/enhancements:

No changes compared to CIP CD 9.0

K-Series:

Series-specific program and data status modifications/enhancements: K 1200 S (K40), K 1200 R (K43), K 1200 R Sport (K43HV):

Implementation of ASC functionality (only in conjunction with Integral ABS 2nd generation)

F-Series:

No changes compared to CIP CD 9.2

Note: It is not possible to reprogram back to the original software status.

Important note:

For the vehicles concerned, the further update to the program/data statuses mentioned above is NOT offered automatically for programming via a status report but can only be programmed as follows:

Operating mode "Check SW" > from the control unit selection list, select "BMS-KP" > "Programming" > "Update software".

1.2 BMS-K (engine electronics):

Affects all models in the R, K and F series before construction status January/February 2007:

R-Series:

No changes compared to CIP CD 9.0

K-Series:

F-Series

Note: It is not possible to reprogram back to the original software status.

1.3 ZFE (central chassis electronics):

General modifications/improvements:

Affects all models with the optional extras "ESA" (SA 416) and/or "Windshield" (SA 559):

Additional functions:

When the ignition is "ON" and the engine is off (i.e. engine speed is zero), the lights are automatically switched off if the "emergency off switch" is activated.

If the hazard warning lights are on, it is possible to indicate left or right by pressing the corresponding button (only while the button
is pressed).

Automatic resetting of the brake lining wear indicator following braking with new brake pads (only affects the K44).

The rear fog light is switched off with manual light deactivation (official-use only).

Fault elimination:

Affects all models with the optional extras "ESA" (SA 416) and/or "Windshield" (SA 559):

Incorrect switching on of the dipped beam headlight within the ZFE run-on time.

INFO: The ignition is turned off while the engine is running. If the ignition is then turned on again within the ZFE run-on time (1 min), the dipped-beam headlight no longer lights up if the engine is off.

Important note:

For the vehicles concerned, the further update to the program status mentioned above is NOT offered automatically for programming via a status report but can only be programmed as follows:

“Check SW" operating mode > from the control unit selection list, select control unit "ZFE" > "Programming" >"Update software".

1.4 Instrument panel:

Affects all models in the R, K and F series as of production date 08.2007.

Adjustment of odometer (GWSZ) with BMS-KP.

Service indicator according to distance and date (except HP models).

Series-specific program status modifications/enhancements:

Affects only the K26 and K44 model variants:

Modification of indications in the LCD display:

The unit "mls/h" is replaced by "mph" in the display - affects only vehicles with optional extra on-board computer (SA 539).

Known faults/bugs:

For vehicles without optional extra on-board computer (SA 539):

Incorrect display: The "RDC" caption is replaced by "Info" in the LC display. The range (reserve) is currently shown in the 2nd line, but should be in the 1st line of the LCD.

INFO: the fault will be rectified on CIP CD11.0.

Affects only the K27 and K71 model variants:

Modification of displays and functions:

Synchronous flashing of the ABS and ASC warning lights or symbols.

If a warning (yellow warning light) and a fault (red warning light) occur at the same time, the red warning light is a static indicator (no longer flashes).

The general engine warning light is now a static indicator (no longer flashes).

The oil pressure warning only occurs when the engine is running (function adapted to the K25 KOMBI).

Modification to clock set mode (function adapted to the K25 KOMBI).

Modification to the pre-ride check: quiet indicator movement.

Quicker reaction of the instrument cluster after ignition ON (terminal 15 on).

Known faults/bugs:

Different display characteristics of the service message (service indicator) if the battery has been previously disconnected and "ignition on" (terminal 15 ON):

The service message does not disappear from the instrument cluster after about 5 seconds as on the other model variants, but is displayed constantly.

INFO: fault planned to be rectified by September 2008.

Important note:

For the vehicles concerned, the further updated program statuses mentioned above are NOT offered automatically for programming via a status report but can only be programmed as follows:

Operating mode "Check SW" > from the control unit selection list, select control unit "INSTR.PANEL" > "Programming" > "Update software".

1.5 RDC (tire pressure control):

Affects all models in the R, K and F series with the optional extra "Tire pressure control" (SA 530) as of production date 08.2007.

Modification of self-diagnostics (diagnostics functionality):

Correction to fault code memory entry which is issued when there is an incorrect road-speed signal. The frequency counter is now reset when a valid road-speed signal is sent.

Important note:

For the vehicles concerned, the further updated program statuses mentioned above are NOT offered automatically for programming via a status report but can only be programmed as follows:

"Check SW" operating mode > from the control unit selection list, select control unit "RDC" > "Programming" > "Update software".

1.6 DWA (anti-theft alarm) with RDC:

Affects all models in the R, K and F series with the optional extra "Antitheft alarm" (SA 603) as of production date 08.2007.

Following "ignition off" (terminal 15 OFF) and if the anti-theft alarm is not primed, the anti-theft alarm is switched off completely after one hour (1h).

Note:

Within this period (1h), it is still possible to activate the anti-theft alarm using the remote control.

ATTENTION:

Once this period (1h) has expired, it is only possible to activate the anti-theft alarm using the remote control following a power cycle (ignition ON/ignition OFF).

Important note:

"Check SW" operating mode > from the control unit selection list, select control unit "DWA/RDC" > "Programming" > "Update software".

1.7 RBT (radio operating unit):

Affects the K26 model with the optional extra "RADIO" (SA 540) as of production date 08.2007.

Software modification because of the elimination of terminal R in the wiring harness.

ATTENTION:

If parts are replaced, the replacements must be completed via CIP because the control unit must be coded according to the construction status of the vehicle (function with or without terminal R).

Important note:

For the vehicles concerned, the further update to the program status mentioned above is NOT offered automatically for programming via a status report but can only be programmed as follows:

"Check SW" operating mode > from the control unit selection list, select control unit "RBT" > "Programming" > "Update software".

2. Additions/new features and CIP software bug fixes (fault elimination):

2.1 Additions/new features:

2.1.1 Change to voltage limit or programmability of vehicles:

As of CIP CD8.0 it is only possible to program vehicles from a battery voltage of greater than or equal to 13V!

To ensure the necessary battery voltage during programming, it will be necessary - even before accessing or starting CIP - to connect a sufficiently powerful battery charger directly to the battery terminals of the vehicle to be programmed!

Note: Always connect the BMW Motorrad Battery Charger (part # 81 74 0 417 543) directly to the battery.

The reason behind introducing this measure is the objective of clearly reducing or eliminating programming aborts because of insufficient (too low) battery voltage.

2.1.2 Introduction of "automatic" overall coding:

In order to ensure that the same coding data status is stored in all control units relevant for coding, as of this CIP CD, overall coding of all codable control units will be carried out after every CIP interaction (programming, retrofitting/conversion, replacement) which affects the software status of the whole vehicle and when functions are added to the on-board network.

ATTENTION:

Different coding data statuses in individual control units can adversely affect how complex functions work (e.g. fuel gauge or on-board computer).

2.1.3 Enhancement of the BMS-KP functionality: integration of vehicle order and integration level:

Vehicles with construction status as of 08.2007 will include the vehicle order and I level not only in the instrument cluster and ZFE, but now also in the BMS-KP.

Vehicles with a construction status before 08.2007 will automatically receive the vehicle order and I level when the BMS-K/BMS-KP is replaced.

Note:

If a enabling code-"protected" optional extra (currently ASC and tire pressure monitor) is installed in one of these vehicles, the new import of the enabling code must be enabled during the CIP session and only when the vehicle order is first transferred to the BMS-KP.

2.1.4 Redundant storage of the odometer in the CAN on-board network:

Vehicles with construction status as of 08.2007 will no longer contain the odometer in the instrument cluster (KOMBI), but rather in the BMS-KP.

If there is a defect in the KOMBI, the odometer reading is not "lost", but can be restored during the CIP replacement process (from the BMS-KP).

Operator confirmation is required during the replacement process before the odometer is transferred.

When the BMS-KP is replaced, confirmation by the operator is also required for the odometer to be transferred.

ATTENTION:

If the odometer readings are different in the two control units (e.g. due to a replacement or operation of a "different" instrument cluster, i.e. one that does not belong to the vehicle), the odometer reading will flash in the instrument cluster once every 10 seconds.

This flashing is intended to draw attention to the different odometer readings in the CAN on-board network and to provide a warning.

It is only possible to adjust the odometer readings using the CIP BMS-KP or KOMBI replacement process.

Procedure as follows:

"Check SW" operating mode > Answer "Have control units been replaced on this vehicle?" prompt with "Yes" > From the control unit selection list, select "BMS-KP" or "KOMBI" > Confirm replacement process with "Continue".

2.1.5 Service data/service display:

CAN bus vehicles that are produced as of August 2007 will have a service indicator in the instrument cluster. Excluded from this are the models HP2 Enduro, HP2 Megamoto and HP2 Sport, none of which have a service indicator.

The service date and the remaining distance to the service as a target in the odometer are stored as a copy in the BMS-KP.

If the instrument cluster or the BMS-KP is replaced on vehicles as of I level K024-07-08-500 on which the service indicator is employed, the service date, the remaining distance to the service and the trip odometer reading are read from the other control unit, which has not been replaced, and transferred to the new replacement control unit (e.g. the instrument cluster has been replaced, the service data is read from the BMS-KP during the course of the replacement process and transferred to the new instrument cluster).

Note:

The service data is transferred automatically, i.e. without requiring confirmation from the operator.

2.1.6 Modification of the "CIP record" function:

As of this version of the CIP CD, the current CIP session will be automatically ended after every backup of the CIP records to prevent the current CIP session from being continued once the reports have been successfully backed up.

2.2 New conversions:

2.2.1 Retrofitting a sports wheel on K43 and K43HV:

As of model year 2008, the K 1200 R Sport (K43HV) and K 1200 R (K43) models can be ordered from the factory with ASC (SA 650) and/or a wider 6.0" rear-wheel rim (SA 173).

With this CIP CD, it is also possible to retrofit the sports wheel (6.0" wide rear-wheel rim) for the models mentioned above (as of production date 08.2007).

For vehicles with ASC (SA 650) and subsequent conversion to the sports wheel, it is obligatory to carry out the conversion using CIP in order to ensure the correct ASC functionality.

ATTENTION:

If the sports wheel is removed and you revert back to the "standard rear wheel" (5.5" wheel rim), the removal must also be performed using CIP!

INFO:
During the sports wheel conversion, the vehicle is always encoded using the appropriate data release and should be checked to ensure the optimal ASC function, both with the 5.5" rim and the 6.0" rim.

2.2.2 Retrofitting heated handlebar grips on the HP2 Megamoto:

Retrofitting of the heated handlebar grips on the HP2 Megamoto is possible on the "GT1" workshop system only in conjunction with the Diagnosis CD22 (available from roughly 08/2007).

This retrofit is possible without restriction on the "Software Service Station" (SSS) workshop system.

3. Known bugs, CIP software:

Instructions on initialising the throttle valve potentiometer and the idle actuator are also issued after a BMS-K / BMS-KP programming abort.

See less See more
#4 ·
Cip 10.2

Just had my 10,000km service, and they upgraded me to 10.2. Anyone know what's different from 10.0, if any?

Thing is, they charged me for the use of the GT1, because it was part of the standard 10k service to read the fault memory. I asked, "Don't you need the GT1 to upgrade the software, you know, under WARANTY?" "Yes, and we charge BMW for it as well." Hmm...

Also got charged for the oil in the rear drive, which was changed under THEIR recommendation. Probably added labor for it too, but it wasn't broken down.

Anyone with a similar experience?

#5 ·
my dealer wanted to charge me for the rear drive oil change also. around 70 bucks, so i did it myself. i haven't had the new update, but the last 3 were done for free.

#6 ·
I have a K12R of May 2007 and i don't know which version of CIP I have on it.

Anyway, since I have to go to the dealer for some problem with my fuel indicator,
anyone suggest me to ask for CIP update?
Must it be free of charge?

With CIP 1.0 there will be some enanchement for my motorcycle? :dunno:

Thanks a lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.