Clutch and brake lines "popping" - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 2008, 10:35 am Thread Starter

Clutch and brake lines "popping"

After getting the clutch lever assembly/clutch cap replaced and also the brake recall cap replacement (both caps are gray and hideous), the lines will now rub against each other and when put at full right turn the clutch line will slide under the brake line with an audible pop. Once the bars are pulled toward center the lines slide against and move past each other and the fun begins again (meaning that it happens every time I go to full right lock).
The dealer answer has been collective head scratching. BMW national has still not responded to their inquiry about how the new brake cover cap does screw all the way down nor does it lock (you don't have to have the special tool to unscrew it). The dealer did adjust the level of f the clutch and brake assemblies and it has decreased the amount of rubbing but I still think it is a crock on a bike I have yet to make a payment on and cost more than my car.
Anyone had this issue?
I'd really appreciate on pics of how your lines look. I can post pics (or even a video if needed) later today.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 2008, 1:46 pm

Interesting problem. I had to run out to the garage and see if mine do that, and they don't. The position of the lines seem to be determined by the stainless tubes coming off the banjo bolts. They point the lines in the direction that prevent them from touching (on mine anyway).

Hope these help:

Dave
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 2008, 4:07 pm

Not exactly sure about your problem but look at my brake-line.
It has been re-routed an they don't touch each other nor do they obstruct the instruments.
You may think about the same setup, tough I'm not sure if the standard handlebar allows it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kr7.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	7248  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 10:39 am Thread Starter

Excellent pics! That is exactly what I needed. Thanks.
Anyone with a r-sport willing to take pics?

edit: i'm trying to post pics but having ESTO problems (equipment smarter than operator). Maybe files too big? no error message....hmmm....
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 11:17 am Thread Starter

Alright here are some pics. Can anyone look at their K Sport and tell me if it is different, I'd love pics of a pre and post clutch/brake cover bike. Thanks in advance.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2008, 8:53 am Thread Starter

Anyone?...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2008, 9:07 am
JCW
contributor

I bet they mis routed the clutch line along the front subframe or didn't clip it into place.

Both lines should attach to the front plastic subframe with zip ties in a channel.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2008, 5:06 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by awlittle
Alright here are some pics. Can anyone look at their K Sport and tell me if it is different, I'd love pics of a pre and post clutch/brake cover bike. Thanks in advance.
I just took these of my K Sport. All pictures from the front of the bike looking back.

Looking back from center.

Brake line on the downward trip.

Clutch line decending just to the right of the throttle cable.

You're very welcome.

'07 K1200R Sport

Last edited by denydog; Mar 6th, 2008 at 7:34 pm.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2008, 6:45 pm Thread Starter

Awesome. Thanks. Really appreciate it.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2008, 7:04 pm Thread Starter

Just spoke with the service department and they are going to look at the pics you guys posted. The service department at the dealer has been excellent. They just can't get an answer from BMW NA.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode