XM antenna (GXM30) DIY mount for R/R-Sport - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 5:03 pm Thread Starter

XM antenna (GXM30) DIY mount for R/R-Sport

I finally caved in and got the XM radio antenna for Zumo 550. Am I ever pleased. Although I prefer Sirius stations, I'm digging the endless music, the traffic data services, and especially the weather feature!! Only problem was finding a suitable mounting point on the R-Sport. I don't like a lot of intrusive gear on my bars, so I fashioned a mount point up by the clocks... I believe this should work for the "R" as well. Each step below corresponds to each image.

Step 1 - Remove the windscreen held by 4 bolts. Remove instrument cover by pulling up and off (two grommets at the widest part, and two tabs at the narrow part). Remove instrument cluster by unplugging cable, and three metal clips.

Step 2 - I used a 6 inch flat corner brace from the Home Depot... pretty standard.

Step 3 - Measure and hacksaw.

Step 4 - Dremmel grind that bitch to contour and soften the edges.

Step 5 - Unbolt the Instrument holder bracket, put some 3M automotive tape to protect the black metal surface, and slide the new bracket underneath to line up with the hole. I confess I started out mounting on the left side of instrument cluster, and changed my mind to put on the right side. Either side will do, but I had all my HID wires running along the left side. With all the juice running through those wires during ignition, it induced the shit out of my XM antenna, scrambling it for several seconds. No permanent damage fortunately.

Step 6 - Attached the XM antenna to provided mounting disk. Bolt through the bracket hole from below and a cap nut goes on top. Also applied silicon to as much contact area between bracket and mounting disk so it doesn't spin around single bolting point. Be sure to check alignment with instrument cluster in place before bolting and silicon. There needs to be enough clearance so the cluster can jostle and vibrate unimpeded on the rubber mounts.

Step 7 - Put all the parts back on. Careful with the instrument cover so the grommets don't pop out! Use a finger inside to help it snap in place. Also, the GF reminded me to put a washer under opposite side of instrument cluster bracket to balance the height (of course after I had put it all together )

Step 8 - Let 'er rip! Works like a charm. I get 3/3 bar signal most everywhere, with 2 bars under the trees. I have had 2 brief (<1 sec) fades when leaning hard under tree cover on my 45 min test run. I'm setting out for Nova Scotia tomorrow; I'll report more on reception when I get back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	step1.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	8741   Click image for larger version

Name:	step2.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	8742   Click image for larger version

Name:	step3.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	8743   Click image for larger version

Name:	step4.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	8744   Click image for larger version

Name:	step5.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	8745  

Name:	step6.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	8746   Click image for larger version

Name:	step7.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	8747   Click image for larger version

Name:	step8.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	8748  

2007 K1200R Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 5:23 pm
JCW
contributor

Love it when a project works.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2008, 11:53 am
tnt
Noob

Looks good! I will look for your trip report, K1200R-Sport maybe next bike! Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2008, 12:33 pm Thread Starter

The trip to NS was excellent. I'll write up a report in another forum. But as far as the XM radio is concerned, the further north I got, the worse the reception was, and pretty much non-existant on Cape Breton or Prince Edward Islands. Canada apparently does offer XM coverage, but that far north-east the reception is horrendous. Even New Brunswick was not good. This is likely due to only 2 static satellites compared to Sirius' 3 orbital satellites. Although XM has more terrestrial repeaters than Sirius, they are weaker in signal intesity. I kept thinking my equipment was failing during the trip, but as soon as I hit Maine on the return trip, the reception was again excellent (few fades in the deep mountains of NH / Vermont)! So as far as I'm concerned, the mounting position is quite acceptable for typical use. NE canada is probably worse than NW canada based on coverage map, and almost certainly you will get zero coverage if you ventured farther to Newfoundland / Labrador. Next step is to paint the top of the receiver so it blends better with the bike, either black or white aluminum!

2007 K1200R Sport
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2009, 9:28 pm Thread Starter

Ok, tired of the crappy work I did before and inspired by the cool stuff Fergie did, I set out for a better looking XM antenna mount. I like the previous location, just needed a bit of aesthetic revision!

Same basic idea, just instead of making your own bracket, obtain the handy-dandy Ztechnik GPS XM mount - Z6403 (like 20bucks or so).

Step 1 - Hammer that bad boy flat between some cardboard with a mallet until it's pretty smooth.

Step 2 - Mount the XM antenna like any normal person would with provided hardware. (Don't need the extra mounting disk or silicon with this setup)

Step 3 - Then use the technique from my first iteration to mount it under the instrument cluster bracket. (need to drill out the hole in the Ztechnik mount a bit to accomodate the bolt). Don't forget some 3M red tape between the metal parts, and the washer under the opposite side of the instrument cluster to even it out.

Finished product looks much nicer, and puts the antenna out a bit further (adjustable!), but still never in the way of the bars. Sorry for the crappy pictures, had to lighten them up to show detail. Next project to paint the antenna!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	step1.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	9644   Click image for larger version

Name:	step2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	9645   Click image for larger version

Name:	step3.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	9646   Click image for larger version

Name:	step4.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	9647   Click image for larger version

Name:	step5.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	9648  

Name:	step6a.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	9649  

2007 K1200R Sport

Last edited by Hermes; Jan 26th, 2009 at 9:34 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode