BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

F800ST to K1200R?

6K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  acemeth 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I'm the proud owner of a 2008 F800ST that I've been riding all summer (and will continue to ride until it snows here in MA). I love the bike - it's light, agile, good power where I need it, etc.

But I'm in love with the K1200R and the K1200R Sport... I'm thinking about trading up next spring.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, encouragement, warnings, etc., about making this move. :)
People have told me that the K1200R is so powerful that I should really think about whether or not I need that much power... (that's part of the appeal, naturally!).

I do some light touring throughout New England, and am wondering if I should look for the K1200R Sport, since it's got that partial fairing. Does anyone know if it has been confirmed that there will not be a sport version of the K1200R?

Any thoughts, pro or con, about switching up from the F800ST would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

See less See more
#4 ·
Compared to the 800, the K1200R is a higher quality bike, this means you get better suspension and other components like that. Trading from a 800 to a 1200 is just natural progression. Not to mention how much fun the K1200R is... the engine is just amazing. The suspension is very special, the brakes are good.
But as always, I encourage you to have a test ride - even if it's just 15 minutes. Ride it and you'll have answers to questions like the wind protection, seat comfort, height, weight etc.

And there's a K1300R "confirmed" (180bhp, etc).

"Hi" by the way! :)

#7 ·
Like Emilynator, I had the F800ST as a loaner when the K12R was in for service. I felt it had a wheezing, farting engine which is pitifully underpowered for even the most minor journeys to the corner shop, and I couldn't wait to have my bike back. Not just the engine, either; the brakes and suspension are noticeably less effective.

That's the problem when you buy a great machine like the K12... even though it has its issues, the rest of it is sooo good that its really hard to find a substitute.

So, papasong, your inclination towards the K12 is correct. Follow your balls.

#8 ·
I had a F800ST for 15 months and changed up to the K12R Sport, would I go back, NO!

The only thing I miss from the F800 is the fuel economy!

The K12 does everything I need it too and more. If I was considering changing the K to another bike, I think I would struggle!

#9 ·
papasong said:
But I'm in love with the K1200R and the K1200R Sport... I'm thinking about trading up next spring.

Any thoughts, pro or con, about switching up from the F800ST would be appreciated.
How many points do you have left on your license?

80 extra HP will take you places you've never been on the F800ST. :teeth

#10 ·
Wow!
Thank you all for your feedback. I really appreciate it.
The only cons I've heard from previous K1200R owners were in regards to the transmission on earlier models (reports that the first three gears are "anemic"), and of course, the fuel economy doesn't compare with the 800ST (I average around 60 mpg, while touring).
But of course, the larger displacement and increase power uses more gas, right?
I've heard lots of good things about the K1200S (as opposed to the K1200R and the K1200R-Sport).
Thanks again to everyone for their great feedback.

#13 ·
Cambridge K said:
Jeff,
Get a k1200X we'll go riding. YOU WILL NOT LOOK BACK.
Rt. 2 hill west - I've done 130 up the hill
Stay away from GBMS FYI.
Any Q's give a yell.

joe

Thanks, Joe!

I'll keep you posted. I've heard a lot of good things about the K1200S. I aspire to do more touring, and so I'm wondering if that would be the better bike for me (as opposed to the K1200R - even though I think the R is just totally wicked looking).

GBMS is the only area dealer I'm aware of. Can you suggest another one? Or do I need to go up to NH?

Thanks,
Jeff

P.S. Been thinking of joing the Yankee Beemers, but I don't think I have the time to make it worthwhile...

#14 ·
Emilynator said:
Don't worry too much about some of the K1200R issues. There are many of us out there that have not had any issues with the transmission or anything else on the bike. This is not to say that there haven't been some problems but forums tend to be magnets for complaints.

Thanks, Emilynator!

Best,
Jeff

#15 ·
I test rode both the F800S and K1200S. I want the 'R' but they didn't have a demo. Both are great bikes, but for different things and people.

The F800S is this great bike that you can have fun with all day. It's agile, easy to ride and generally fun. I thought the engine had more than enough power for just about anything, but it was a little buzzy for me.

The K1200S... Whole different beast. Not just one level up in my opinion.. Maybe two. The engine felt like a nuclear reactor... My salesguy said "keep it under 7k or it will turn into a whole different bike". I agree... The build quality also feels much more.

For me, the K1200S was a more comfortable bike to ride. I thought the F800S had funky ergonomics. But then again, I got slightly short legs and long torso and only 5'8". the K1200S feels like my '83 GS750ES. Which I can ride ALL day!

Oh yes, my '83 has half the horsepower and is 100lbs heavier than the K1200S and it's still plenty of bike for anyone and anything.

I hope to get a K1200R next year. I've been lusting for one ever since they came out..

#17 ·
It's like the ladies say... Once you go K, you'll never go back! :yeow: After 7500 miles, I've been nothing but happy with my '07 KR Sport. It's as close to perfect as I've gotten for my purposes. Race bike quickness, exceptional handling over a variety of terrain, comfy ergos, day long comfort, and pretty good carrying capacity for touring. With the latest software, I've been averaging 42 mpg, and I certainly don't ride like a lil old lady. I've gotten a few tanks that were mid to high 30's, but even when chasing triple digits for a full tank I'm getting right around 40 mpg. The only issue I've experienced is the EWS antenna ring failure, which was a PITA, but BMW RA responded promptly and took care of the problem.

#19 ·
It's been said, but worth saying again: don't be put-off by the troubles listed on the forums I bet most bikes, like mine, are problem free. Mine is an 06 R, it's very comfortable on long trips and holds plenty of luggage. And, when you crack the throttle, you're riding a dragon. Love this bike.

#20 ·
I own and drive both bikes. Both are 2007's. The F800st has 15k and the K12R has 6K miles. Each bike is different and to compare them is strange. The more I drive the 800 the more I appreciate it. Every time I back the k12 out of the driveway I wonder if the ride will end in cuffs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.