Stalling problem - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2008, 3:45 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Stalling problem

Hi there.
I have a 07 K12R bought new in September of last year. It has 4,000 miles on it now. Since this is not my primary bike, I ride it once a week.
Not being technically savvy, I apologize in advance for the rather crude explanation.
For a few months now I'm having a stalling problem. Sometimes after riding it for 25-30 miles, when I pull the clutch lever and coast to a stop, the engine sputters and stalls. Most times the engine will restart as soon as I push the ignition button, but once in a while after repeated tries it will turn on very briefly idling at a normal 1000 RPMs for a second then the speed will fluctuate between 500 and 1000 and eventually it will die. This will only happen after riding the bike for some time, never the first time when I'm pulling out of the garage. The bike is in stock condition and I only use super unleaded fuel as recommended by BMW.
The bike is under warranty but the problem never manifests itself when I take it to the dealer and hence there is no problem to fix... My dealer reloaded the mapping software and for a week it was running ok but yesterday the problem recurred.
Has anyone out there had the same problem? Any ideas what causes this and how it can be remedied?
Thanks much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2008, 4:24 pm
Veteran

Do a search on stalling on this site and www.i-bmw.com and you will see a lot of stalling problems with KGTs and KSs. The dealers know this stalling happens. My dealer said that it can't be fixed and/or BMW can't fix it. People have tried software updates, new airboxes, new o2 sensors, etc. I just commented on the other site that I put about 3 bottles of techron in the tank over a few fill ups and the problem has gone away. My 07 KS also had a new airbox and a new ecu installed. My problems seem to have gone away after the techron or it could be a coincidence. I only use Chevron or Shell gas, but I have used what I could find a few times. Maybe too much ethanol in the gas over time was the problem.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2008, 6:34 pm
Addict

I know it seems a little weird, but I agree with the techron idea. Have read thsi on other sites, too. I have an 06 R and -- if possible -- it only gets Chevron. I have zero fueling issues. Yes, could be a coincidence, but still... I am running latest software and am 100% stock. But, if you can't solve this yourself, BMW must.

Have a look here, though and be sure to read to the end: http://bmwsuperbikes.com/forum/viewt...hilit=stalling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2008, 7:02 pm Thread Starter
Noob

It seems like my stalling issue is not an isolated case. Thank you both.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2008, 5:23 pm
Rookie

I had the EXACT same problem on my '07 K1200R Sport. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the airbox. They then tried to update my software, but couldn't. I installed a Power Commander 3 and the issue has completely gone away. I have no idea what solved the problem, but it has not reoccurred for the last 5K miles/5months.

Andy
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2008, 1:19 am
Veteran

i just found out that i have the same problem within the last year. but it has only happened on rides over 150 miles when the weather is warm. i have to keep the throttle open to keep the bike running because when i pull in the clutch it stalls.

I know i can't duplicate the problem at the dealership, but i was tempted to mount my camera and show them. That way they can't say there is no evidence or can't replicate the problem.

i'll get them to check it out tomorrow. i am taking it in for warranty work on a fuel leak.

06 K1200R,76 Yamaha RD400 VOID 7/08 ,03 Kawi ZX-6R VOID 10/10/06, 94 Suzuki GSXR-750 VOID, 85 Yamaha FJ1100 VOID
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2008, 5:33 pm
Noob

May be dumb answer--Water in gas--from sitting?? try the fuel strage additives which absorb gas
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2008, 7:02 pm

Unhappy Just developed stalling problem too

This sounds like a problem my bike has just come down with. Refuelled the tank after my last ride the day before, after I dropped the bike on gravel into a corned but no damage except for the RG Sliders again these saved the bike. Rode the bike home about 90 klm.

The next day rode about 100 klm stopped the engine several times and restarted OK then went back to the crash site to check it out (karma?) and the bike started long enough to get into 1st then stopped. Started reved to 3,000 then stopped, tried again and again the same problem, splutters a bit and dies.

If you try to start without turning the ignition off it doesn't seem to want to start. Turn the ignition off and it will start run for 5 secs and stop. Maybe something in the cold startup changes the fuelling?

The fuel pump can be hear running, no alarms on the dash, its like the motor primes and then cuts out from supplying fuel or the electronics cutout. My feeling is that it is more fuel related as from my understanding when electrics stop there is no spluttering.

Taking it to a independent mechanic today rain allowing to have him see what fault codes are there. He come highly recommended for working on BMW but I am unsure of his experience with a K12R he says he has the test equipment.

Any thoughts from anyone is he worth a shot or should I go back to the BMW hacks who have already broken parts on the bike.

Aussiefinatic
April 2005 K1200R, ESA & ABS, 58,000 Klms, Kaoko Cruise Control, R&G Sliders all round, Custom Seat, Dual HID Lights
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2008, 12:15 am

Cant be any worse!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2008, 10:39 am

The stalling problem on my 07GT was largely cured by replacing the crankshaft sensor.

2007 K1200GT
IBA#31809

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode