BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

190 tire rub

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  TheJoker 
#1 ·
I find it hard to believe based on how much of a gap there is between the tire and the rear link but it looks like a 190 tire will rub with aggressive track use. This was a DC III on a sport rim. I noticed the left side of the rear tire had some really bad scalloping toward the edge but I wrote it off as a valving issue that was going to get fixed with my Wilbers rebuild (track runs CC so it's harder on the left side as well). The marks line up with the scallops on the tire. :dunno:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Wow.

I have not yet had a chance to get the P Corsa 3 on a track yet. Just some fast road course use. I'm gonna have to keep an eye out for that.

Maybe time to look for an aftermarket torque arm with more clearance? If one exists.

Wait a sec. All the K12S and the K12R with the sport wheels are on 190 tires??? :dunno:

#3 ·
JCW said:
Wait a sec. All the K12S and the K12R with the sport wheels are on 190 tires??? :dunno:
Yes, I stated that incase anyone thought I might be running a 190 on the 5" rim. I also had my rear compression set pretty soft as I was playing with the settings and having a blast with the softer suspension which might have something to do with the rubbing.

#4 ·
Sharkbait said:
... looks like a 190 tire will rub with aggressive track use... ...This was a DC III on a sport rim...
That's the standard fitment for a 6" Sport rim... that is 190/50. If it rubs, then there's either a problem at BMW's design department (throughout to the testing and Q.C), or something else is fishy..?!
My 190/55 in the 6" sport rim didn't rub, and that was a Pirelli Diablo Corsa III too. Granted, I didn't have silver swing arm and suspension arm... and I didn't have a good "yardstick" to check once the bike was screweed over. :wtf:
Oh, and the 190/55 tyre is now standard on the K1300S (haven't checked what comes on the K1300R with sport wheels), and I doubt they've change the design of the rear suspension to accomodate that?!?!?

If you put the wheel back on without the damper in, then you should be able to move the suspension up and down to match the tyre to the rubbings and get the suspension position... :confused: Might give some sort of indication on at what state in the suspension movement this has happened.

#5 ·
Actual tire widths can vary from designated widths from different manufacturers and even across model lines from the same manufacturer. A 190/55 pirelli might be wider than the same size Metzler, Bridgestone.....etc. I have seen charts from tire companies that have the actual widths listed as mounted on specific rim widths.

#6 ·
You're right, bluzharp.

I was also thinking that the marks seem to be quite at the end of the suspension travel - can't recall if it's top or bottom end, but it seems like the bike's been at the end of the stroke. Perhaps somewhere where the suspension shouldn't be in the first place.
Putting the wheel back without the damper will show where the suspension was when the rubbing occured.

#7 ·
I do think the DC III is a little wider with a shorter (tread) profile especially compared to the new BT-016's I have sitting in the garage. I can't wait to try the 016's out; they look like they will really help the tip-in with how tall and narrow they look.

I think Joker's comment about the suspension being where it shouldn’t be is valid. As I stated I was playing with my suspension settings and had the rear compression dialed almost all of the way out just to see what it felt like and while it probably wasn't the fastest way around the track, I did have the most fun on these sessions. I check my tires after every session and the odd wear I noticed came from these sessions. The rear shock was also under sprung which would have helped the suspension compress even easier.

I'll keep an eye on it but I'm not really worried about it happening again since it seems to correlate with an adjustment that I was testing. It might be good idea to keep this in mind if you know your suspension is overloaded and you're doing track days.

It’s too bad I didn’t notice the rubbing until after I replaced the shock and was putting the bike back together. It would have been interesting to see if the tire comes closer to the rear link as the suspension compresses (I doubt) or if was rubbing from the components flexing under load. If I have to take it apart for another re-spring or re-valve I’ll check it out.

#9 ·
JCW said:
Keep us updated if you notice this again!
Agreed fully. This could be a serious issue. Please keep the community up to date. Who knows it might save someones life!

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.