K1200R Center Stand Install - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2009, 9:05 am Thread Starter
Noob

K1200R Center Stand Install

Good Morning !!

I just took delivery of the BMW Centerstand for my 2007 K1200R. Went on out to the garage to put it on and ran into all sorts of problems. Well mainly one problem. I could not for the life of me match up the centerstand plate with the main body of the stand. Followed the instructions and everything. Just could not line up the holes for the stand bolt to go thru the frame and through the stand and plate. I finally just pulled the spring off and bolted it all up. Went on fine then. Of course now the problem is installing the spring.

Any one else install the stand and have the problem I had ? If so how did you solve it ? Also if anyone did it the way I just did and installed the springs last, how did you do that ?!?!

I was getting tired and cranky and had to just walk away before I did something really stupid.

THANKS !!

Anthony

Anthony Pino
Turnersville, NJ
2006 Honda GL1800
2007 BMW K1200R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2009, 9:40 am
OVD

Though I did not install the BMW center stand (I ordered the SW Motech center stand from twistedthrottle.com) but I had similar problems. It became apparent very fast that the spring needs to be mounted last. Bolting the center stand onto the frame w/ out the spring (mine actually has a double spring - a smaller one inside a larger spring) went very smoothly. However, installing the spring took a lot of effort. After many words I don't want my children to ever learn and hear trying to find appropriate tools, failed attempts and cut hands, I managed to install the spring using a hook my neighbor gave me that came with trampoline for his kids used to assemble it. The hook looks like this

But still, the springs are very strong and w/ out a center stand () it is very difficult to put yourself into position at the bike for mounting the springs comfortably where you can apply enough force. So, I had to get a bit creative with a pair of screwdrivers that I used as levers on each other and the hook to install the springs. No way I can describe how such levering worked, it took numerous trials and errors until the springs snapped into place.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by OVD; Feb 26th, 2009 at 9:48 am.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2009, 2:26 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the reply about the center stand. Yes, the one from BMW has the double spring as well. I'll have to see if one of my riding buddies has a hook like the one you have. Then heave ho and we will see how it goes.

Thanks !!

Anthony

Anthony Pino
Turnersville, NJ
2006 Honda GL1800
2007 BMW K1200R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2009, 2:32 pm

The way I ended up doing it, since I didn't have anything suitable to put the required force (or my strength!) to extend the spring, I came up with a relatively easy way. a) I mounted the right hand side pivot screw assembly loosely and then b) installed the spring on the frame hook and also the stand loop and then c) inserted a lever between the stand cross bar and the lower rear suspension link assembly. Pulling back on the lever pulled the stand back far enough to insert the left hand pivot screw assembly. Then tightened up both pivots. Job done. I know what you have been through!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2009, 2:36 pm
JCW
contributor

You can sometimes use a wrench. Hook it around the the end and pull.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2009, 3:39 pm
OVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW
You can sometimes use a wrench. Hook it around the the end and pull.
Tried that, those springs were too tight for my strength while laying on my side on the cold concrete garage floor next to the bike

2009 K1300S
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2009, 4:15 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVD
...The hook looks like this
You can simulate one of these by tying a strong piece of string to the springs and then rolling/tying the other end onto something that fits well in your hand. Larger screwdriver handle for example.

F800GS - Grey/Black
KTM SuperDuke R
K1200R - Yellow/Black - Crashed 2008-09-01. I'm an eedjit.
Site: JLHPv5, Weblog: JLHPBv2
'Ring Toy - Evo Race Filters - Sportec M3 - Sandbar Dogbones - Tidy Tail - USB Power Plug - eTrex Legend C - Abba Superbike stand - R&G Crash Protectors (tested!) - Relocated Battery - Pirelli Diablo Corsa III (190/55 rear) - Evo O2 Modifier - Pazzo Levers - Earl's Straight Braided Brake Hoses - Wilbers Fully Adjustable Shocks Front and Rear
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2009, 9:57 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for your replies !! I'll have to try some of your ideas out after work today and hope for the best.

Everyone have a Great Weekend !!

Anthony

Anthony Pino
Turnersville, NJ
2006 Honda GL1800
2007 BMW K1200R
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2009, 11:42 am
Enthusiast

One guy holds the bike so it won't fall off the sidestand. The second guy sits on the floor behind the rear tire with a loop of wire (#12 or #10 household wire) through the hook of the spring, this guy is wearing gloves. He puts a foot on the rear tire (the reason the first guy is holding the bike and front brake) and pulls the spring back. The third guy takes a phillips screwdriver and guides the spring to the little post it supposed to go on.
Actually we were surprised it went on so easily. We then took the wire off the spring.
Dave

KR Sport
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2009, 11:51 am
Addict

Another tool which can do the job would be an old drum brake spring tool, which is still available at automotive part shops.

http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?P...OD&ProdID=5481

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode