BMW K1200R idle problems and surging - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2011, 11:07 am Thread Starter
Noob

BMW K1200R idle problems and surging

Hello,

After a 2 week pause for using my moto, in September 2010 i noticed a big problem of the engine during 1000-3000 rpm.
problem description:
When slowly accelerates from 1000 rpm and until 3000 rpm, the engine is not running properly, it is surging - does not rise linearly, but with small bumps.

Also, idle fluctuates from 900-1100 rpm.
Here is a video about the idle, unfortunately the sound is not very accurate:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h49LbBcuHNA

moto info:
BMW K1200R, '2006, 13500km.

Repair attempts:
Local BMW dealer has replaced last October: air filter, sparks, airbox. Unfortunately did not solved the problem.
I used a Duralube for injection, a big improvement was noticed, but problem did not disappeared.

Please help!

k12r for 70eur/day rent for ride in Romania
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2011, 10:34 pm
Veteran

Airbox on mine was far bigger jumps, up to 3,300 RPM and off idle. It would lurch back and forth pretty bad while riding and often I had to pull the clutch in for gridlock traffic. Near the end, it would flat die with the clutch pulled in. They first did the solenoid motor for the idle (BMW approved cheaper fix first), and later airbox 2 or 3 which stopped the really radical idle swings. Probably just gets all sooty for minor 200 RPM swings.

However, mine now idles much the same as yours, 900-1100 RPM. I don't worry about that as it is not as bad as hanging up at 3,300 RPM off throttle, or just outright dying by pulling in the clutch which is worse.

It may be the gas too. I put some $13 gallon stuff into it once and the thing ran like a top and never wavered on idle. The good stuff here comes in blue or orange cans in the USA and commonly referred to as off-road, marine, or race fuel. I don't know if this cheap corn-oil gas is all that hot. I know the BTU numbers are down using it as well as the mileage number per gallon. I don't think they designed the bike to run with this corn oil in the USA as they added 4 more injectors on the S1000RR over the K1200/K1300 engines (the S100RR has 8 injectors).

Fwiw, I know some Harley guys are using the $13 per gallon fuel in their CVO 110 inch H-D engines as they claim they idle better and less soot in the injector bodies. Guess if you got the $42,000 for a CVO version, then paying $13/gallon for fuel isn't bad to make it idle decent. Some mix it half and half. Dunno.

I mixed in some Harley fuel stabilizer ($6 a bottle) into my two bikes yesterday since I haven't ridden them in over a month since this busted hand crap and I can't pull in a clutch lever. The H-D shop guy said this fuel isn't lasting well in storage in a month and to run the bike a bit and to add it so I did. Only added about an ounce to each bike as I was told.

Mack
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2011, 2:20 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thank you Mack.

I will continue to find a solution for this problem. It is not normal to experience these problems for a new (13500km) motorcycle.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2011, 3:53 pm
Noob

Cgrosu: You may want to check out the BoosterPlug to smooth out the lower RPM surging or sag near 1k. It basically intercepts the air temperature and transmits new data. I installed one on mine and have test ridden my bike at low speed low RPM and the power band is smoother in that range. I am fairly new to sports touring bikes and I have learned to keep my RPM closer to 4-6 or higher. A more expensive option is a Power Commander and to tweak the lower range to smooth the power curve.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2011, 2:39 am Thread Starter
Noob

I am a happy guy, local BMW dealer found the problem.
It was one of the ignition coil grommet. They replace it and now the beast is working as new

This is the part number: 12137715846
And the photo (#01):
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=12&fg=12&hl=2

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2018, 1:52 pm
Noob

I suggest you file a complaint with the NHTSA. The more people that do this the more like this agency with contact BMW North America to address these type of safety issues. I have filed a complaint under "Speed Control"

There's a BMW Motorad Bulletin on this : 13 003 07 (058).

BTW, I found that disconnecting the battery (both terminals), shorting the positive and negative WIRES, and having the key in the on position over night, really helps this issue 'reset' for a while. However it is temporary, as it does come back.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 6:21 am
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahahead View Post
I suggest you file a complaint with the NHTSA. The more people that do this the more like this agency with contact BMW North America to address these type of safety issues. I have filed a complaint under "Speed Control"

There's a BMW Motorad Bulletin on this : 13 003 07 (058).

BTW, I found that disconnecting the battery (both terminals), shorting the positive and negative WIRES, and having the key in the on position over night, really helps this issue 'reset' for a while. However it is temporary, as it does come back.
So you join - and + wires on motorbike with battery removed. And key on position as i would turn on bike?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2018, 10:18 am
Noob

I am having a similar problem with mine, Changed the airfilter (apparently the dealer serviced it before I took it away), I did resemble Bob Marleys hairdressers floor, It did improve things but the issue remains especially when the weather is hot happy to try anything if you have any ideas
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2019, 2:13 pm
Noob

New to this site but I just got a BMW K1200R and every time I start the bike it Max’s out the RPM and I can’t really find anything that’s causing it plus new to BMW not knowing what to touch first I’ve started it multiple times and still was going at max Rpms . I stopped so that I didn’t hurt the bike . If I could get some help that would be great
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2019, 8:34 am
Noob

Maybe try a throttle reset.

Turn the ignition on, without starting the bike.Then twist the throttle fully open to closed three times. Turn the ignition off. Then restart the bike.

Go for a decent ride and let the computer learn.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode