K12R + Galfer DF707W = bolts hitting fork?! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2013, 3:24 pm Thread Starter
Noob

K12R + Galfer DF707W = bolts hitting fork?!

Hi all,

I just bought galfer discs plus pads as per their and my supplier's compatibility listings for my 2005 K1200R (DF707W disc + FD272 pads front, DF763W disc + FD186 pads rear). To save hassle I asked my tyre supplier to fit them while they had the wheels off putting some pilot road 3s on (wicked tyre btw!) we soon discovered that with these fitted the brake disc bolts were actually just making contact with the inside of the fork. We gave up on that and then discovered they didnt have a torx bit narrow enough to get the rear disc off (fiddly with that gap in the rear drive). They kindly didnt charge for the attempt at fitting them and I rode home, stock discs on, snapped these photos to illustrate the prob + send to my supplier:

galfer rotor's bobbin thickness:

BMW's bobbin thickness:

stock disc fitment in relation to forks:

comparitive mock up with the edge of the desk simulating wheel:

So, if you have a K1200R with galfer rotors I'd -really- value your feedback/how your install went.. do you have the sport wheel option or non-sport? Did you have to modify it e.g. remove their bobbin + fit BMW's own?

Many thanks in advance,

GR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2013, 3:43 pm
JCW
contributor

Galfers supplied you with their own bobbins?

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2013, 3:51 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Yes, these were on when I unboxed them.. they appear to on pretty good too, removal of the flange with a dremel required by the looks of it. Trouble is, thats non-reversible and if these are a no-go then I'll need a full refund - the supplier may not appreciate this handiwork! (am asking them if I can try though) In any case this will only work if the BMW bobbin is an exact fit for the hole in the disk.. otherwise it'll seriously move rattle/move around (if it even fits in).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2013, 6:53 pm

I put the Galfers on my '06 last year.

If i have got this right, later in the production of the K bikes, BMW went to a fixed bobbins and not the separate bobbins that should have come with your bike.

If your rotors came with the bobbins in the rotors, they should be the wrong rotors.

My Galfer rotors did not have the bobbins fixed to them and i used the ones from my original rotors. Everything went together very well except, when i did mine, I found one of the 10 bobbins was a different size than the other 9. I suspect the ass-clowns who replaced the factory rotor with the thicker rotor under the recall from '06 got one of the wrong bobbins.

When I went to BMW to get a replacement bobbin, I discovered that BMW no longer makes/sells the original bobbins. Luckily, I found one at my local wheel shop. Woody's Wheels in Denver.

Anyway, I know BMW offers a "retrofit kit" for the factory fixed bobbin rotors.

Hope this helps.

Bill

2006 K1200R
Loud brakes save lives!
Harley Davidson (noun) -The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise, without the side effect of horsepower.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2013, 6:57 pm

Oh, and if you look at the new BMW rotors, they use a flat bolt for mounting the rotor.

2006 K1200R
Loud brakes save lives!
Harley Davidson (noun) -The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise, without the side effect of horsepower.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2013, 7:15 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Intriguing, thanks KR-Rider, this sheds some light on the matter! If its the case that the thickness of the bobbins on these galfers is the same as the fixed bobbin on the newer rotors and flat bolts are all it requires to be the correct fitment then I'm sorted
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2013, 9:47 pm
JCW
contributor

This is the BMW OEM part number for the new bolt that goes with the "rivet package" disc (where the bobbins are permanently attached to the disc).

36 31 7 709 543

Here's max motorcycle's BMW pdf on the new rotors with the rivets

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...17709543_1.pdf

But their pic of the bolt doesn't look a whole lot different.
http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...?rnd=224431897

Who knows?

'06 K1200R- in pieces
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2013, 6:47 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks JCW

I am still awaiting word from my supplier (they're contacting Galfer + forwarding my pics) but in the meanwhile I rang up the helpful people at Bahnstormer Maidenhead, one of their techs ever so kindly went out on the shop floor and measured the bobbin thickness of one of the newer "rivet package" discs as it sat on a K1300S - 11.5mm, near enough to the 11.49mm I made the DF707W to be! (would also explain why Galfer reckon the DF707Ws are good for all K1300 models) He then found that yes there is a new disc bolt to match -and- it has a flat head! Jackpot! Assuming the wheel + forks are the same between years this should cure the clearance issue.

If that goes ok then my only concern is that the brake disc will be 1.5-2mm or so further out from the centre of the wheel, so 1.5-2mm further out in relation to the calliper, at rest the pistons will be slightly staggered.. could this present an issue like uneven/accelerated pad wear? or on the basis that the pistons are equal in area they will exert the same forces but from a staggered resting position? (apologies if this is a n00b question!)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2013, 9:23 pm
JCW
contributor

It's actually a very good question with few real evidence backed answers.
Here's one opinion...

http://www.braketech.com/index.php?o...talk&Itemid=69

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinePointStar
If that goes ok then my only concern is that the brake disc will be 1.5-2mm or so further out from the centre of the wheel, so 1.5-2mm further out in relation to the calliper, at rest the pistons will be slightly staggered.. could this present an issue like uneven/accelerated pad wear? or on the basis that the pistons are equal in area they will exert the same forces but from a staggered resting position? (apologies if this is a n00b question!)

'06 K1200R- in pieces
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2013, 2:15 am
Enthusiast

If it is just the later flat head bolts you need, Shaw Stainless in the UK now does complete Stainless Steel Bolt kits for that type of rotor for about 25, wouldn't think they are much more than the standard BMW cheese material bolts.

http://www.shawstainless.co.uk/www.s...k/info.php?p=1

Think they are listed under the R1200GS on his site.

Tim
------------------

2011 K1300GT

Last edited by Special-K; Mar 29th, 2013 at 2:20 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode