Exhaust Chop on my K1200R - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2013, 11:33 am Thread Starter
Noob

Exhaust Chop on my K1200R

Long time no post, but this past weekend I modified the exhaust on my KR and thought you all might enjoy seeing the results. I was tired of my laser exhaust sticking out like a sore _____ since my bike is all blacked out finally and the can is silver. As well the size of the can always annoyed me with how long it is.

So my solution.... Cut the damn thing lol! I saw in the past that someone else did this so I am not sure if this is will be redundant for some but it may benifit someone. Sorry in advance for not taking more pictures as I completed the project, but you are more than welcome to ask me questions and I assure you I will help out. Here is a picture of the exhaust before the cut.

Then I got to chopping and after putting it all back together came out with..

Finally it was time to paint, I used a high temp paint and allowed to dry for over 24 hours just to be safe. Once the pipe was installed I ran the bike for 5 min then let it cool down, then 10min then 30min. I read that this helps the high temp paint in some scientific manner that I am unable to explain! So in the end I ended up with this.

I love how it turned out, and before anyone asks... yes it is loud. A long time ago I removed the baffle from the pipe and left it out after this cut. It has a real race sound to it now, im not talking about some GSXR with an aftermarket pipe, I mean like motoGP sound. I am not sure how to take a video where you would be able to hear the sound, so if anyone knows how I can use my GoPro Hero3 in such a manner to capture the sound and you want to hear it, let me know and I can do that for sure. I ahve been riding the bike for a week now in 80 deg weather for up to 2 hours at a time and there is no signs of the paint failing in anyway.

In all this mod cost me about $20 and that was becuse I had to buy a rivet gun and some rivets as well as the paint. Total time to complete this was about 4 hours but that was becuse I was taking my time and brain storming other ideas for the exhaust.

Tools required:
Drill and bits to drill out the rivets on the end of the pipe.
Tape to mark the line to cut the outter shell
Dremel to cut the outter shell and the two inner layers (pipe and heat shield)
safety glasses as I found out are benificial haha
Rivet gun and rivets to reattach the exit cap
Scotch Brite pad to skuff exhaust for painting
High Temp Paint

-Sig

2008 K1200R: Custom Paint, Laser Hotcam Exhaust, Aftermarket Headers, Sargent Seat, Sargeant Passenger Seat, Sargent Pod, PowerCommander V, PowerCommander DynoJet Quick Shift, Dual Map Selection Switch, After Market Racing Pegs (Driver and Passenger)- Shift Lever-Brake Lever, Garmin 350LM Mounted GPS, Fork Mounted Moto Lights, Throttlemeister, Side Stand Enlarger......... Did i forget something??

Last edited by JCW; Apr 9th, 2013 at 10:20 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2013, 2:55 pm
Noob

Sounds like an interesting project but.. am I the only person who cant see the pics? Just getting the little link broken pic icon :-/
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2013, 5:16 pm
Noob

Blind.

No you're not. I too see just the little doohicky in the middle of the blank square.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2013, 10:16 pm
JCW
contributor

fixed...

nice job
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust Before.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	14083   Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust final.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	14084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust 2.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	14085  

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda

Last edited by JCW; Apr 9th, 2013 at 10:22 pm.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2013, 10:50 am
Noob

ah.. very nice! am curious about the sound though, the K12R isnt a quiet bike even in stock form so I'd be slightly concerned about making it too much louder (there is having a nice sound, then there is ****ing-people-off levels of volume). The other day while I had the back wheel off I had the ingenious idea of filming a brief run of the engine with no silencer. Was seriously loud:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152750606820160

^ I shot that with just a plain old Canon compact, if you have an external mic for your GoPro it would sound clearer
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2013, 1:01 pm
Enthusiast

I'm looking to this because I can not find a Laser Hot Cam 2 shortie can

'91 K75S
'06 K1200S
'05 R1200GS
BMWMOA # 119240
Yankee Beemer # 153
NRA # 154764753
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2013, 8:22 am Thread Starter
Noob

Sorry for not responding back sooner, my email never sent me a message that you all replied.

I am not sure what happened to the links there for the pictures, thank you JCW for fixing that.

NinePointStar: You are right, it is loud as all hell, but I also have the baffle out, so I may replace it and see what it does to the sound.

Cambridge K: I know you and I talked about doing this over PM a while ago. It is a real easy project man, if you need any help with it let me know and I will help out however I can.

-Sig

2008 K1200R: Custom Paint, Laser Hotcam Exhaust, Aftermarket Headers, Sargent Seat, Sargeant Passenger Seat, Sargent Pod, PowerCommander V, PowerCommander DynoJet Quick Shift, Dual Map Selection Switch, After Market Racing Pegs (Driver and Passenger)- Shift Lever-Brake Lever, Garmin 350LM Mounted GPS, Fork Mounted Moto Lights, Throttlemeister, Side Stand Enlarger......... Did i forget something??
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2013, 6:03 am
Noob

Very nice job!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode