WTB K12R or K12R Sport?! Need help with price! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2013, 5:15 pm Thread Starter
Noob

WTB K12R or K12R Sport?! Need help!

I've been reading over basically everything I can about the K12R and Sport and can't decide which one I want!

There are only a couple of each within 1000 miles of me, and I'm also trying to figure out a good price too.

I'm going to be coming from a 2007 Aprilia Tuono (and before that I had an 06 Speed Triple), both of which I LOVE. I love the Streetfighter look and it suits me well.

I like the looks of the K12R more but I've read that the K12R Sport is better for long distance riding and touring (but may have more maintenance issues long term?).

My main goals on riding are:
Mostly commuting (so I want something practical that can do at least some luggage), but doing 100-150 mile rides on the weekends, would like something that can still corner well even though I don't do many sharp twisties AND I'm planning on touring for at least 2 weeks across the country this summer.

What would be a good price on a 2006 K12R or a 07 K12R Sport? My budget is $6.5-7k. Anything I should look out for or know for those model years?

Options for K1200R:
--06 w/ 10k miles and heated grips, Leo Vince slip on, HID, fully dealer serviced, and some other small mods listed at $7k

--06 w/5000 miles and ESA, ABS, and heated grips, Akrapovic exhaust, HID, belly pan, ECU upgrade, and other small upgrades BUT he's admitted that he hasn't serviced it and I would need to do that (he's owned it since ~1200 miles). Listed at $7.9k

The K12R Sport are more expensive:
07 Stock with 2300 miles, heated grips, and ABS. Said he wouldn't do less than $8000
07 stock w/2200 miles. Listed at $7500
Several more on CycleTrader all for more than $8k

Last edited by BenThereDidThat; May 2nd, 2013 at 5:43 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2013, 5:41 pm
Rookie

Selling K1200r

I have mine going to $6500.

http://iowacity.craigslist.org/mcy/3775639342.html
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2013, 5:46 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90jimmy
I saw that on CycleTrader. The broken ABS concerns me as I've read that that's VERY expensive to replace/fix.

PM me with more info on the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2013, 3:52 pm
Noob

I may be biased as a K1200R owner but I too love the streetfighter look and was part of the reason I picked mine, this look is completed with a belly pan and small screen - so yeh my money would be on the latter of the K1200R choices since it already has the belly pan, plus some other nice bits. The K1200R sport may be better for distance with the windscreen, but I have never ridden one so cannot comment..
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2013, 4:58 pm Thread Starter
Noob

It's nice to have someone respond! Seems like this forum is waning a little.

So I have some more questions.
It looks like I'm leaning toward the first K12R. It's cheaper so I could use the leftover money to buy a bellypan and he might be able to wiggle on price some. (I also love the blacked out look).

It's a one owner bike and he had all the services done. It also comes with a power commander.

My only concern is that he had the 9000 mile service done in November 2009, and he has only put 1000 miles on it since then. He said that he took it out every couple of months, but all the fluids are the same from when it was serviced at 9000 miles.

What do I need to look for? I know for sure that some of the fluids,if not all, will need to be replaced.

Approximate cost? Is it an easy DIY?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2013, 3:32 pm
Noob

I've been reading the posts but really have nothing to contribute, other than that I do no maintenance myself except for the oil changes, which is quite easy to do. I ride mine mostly for commute and not a lot of long distance riding. I'm old now and cant deal with all the wind in my face. I have done a lot of modification, not by me, the dealer, mostly cosmetic stuff. 163hp is more than I need, so no performance mods.

I do want to tell you one thing about the bike however. There are a very little choices for any after market parts or accessories. And all the parts, aftermarket or oem, are super expensive. Also the bmw sevice mechanics charge higher hourly rate than Johnny Cochran and Robert Shapiro combined.

I've had mine since 2006 and still love it. No plan of selling. I will most likely keep it as long as possible.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2013, 1:15 pm
Enthusiast

The naked R is the only way to go. Had mine for 4 years now and wouldn't trade it.No problems to bitch about, and the couple of issues the dealer has taklen care of free of charge! BMW motorrad stands behind their products, from my experience. Never ridden the rs or s, but the drive train is the same, so you're not going to notice much difference, the power commander is a nice upgrade, i'd go with that one being that low speed fueling can sometimes be issue.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. Will Durant

2006 K 1200 R
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2013, 11:23 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the responses! Happy to see some people with no issues and still happy with it! I have decided to go for the non - sport as I like the look so much better. The blacked out one was just sold Sunday (i just sold my Tuono yesterday), so now I have cash in hand and will continue looking for something around 7k.

Was scared about tranny problems but I bet 100% of people that had problems posted on forums which in the overall scheme is tiny.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2013, 12:48 pm
Rookie

I just sold my 2007, K1200R Sport last week for $7500

10,000 miles, perfect condition, cam chain fall off thingy resolved, new updated cam chain tensioner...no issues what so ever.

Had near 20 folks call me on it.

I sold it too cheap

Roy B
Dartmouth Ma
2007 DL650 V Strom
2007 BMW K1200R Sport
2002 Moto Guzzi V-11 Sport
2004 Honda VFR
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2013, 2:13 pm
Noob

Mine is an 06 and I have taken it on trips that are more than 4K miles, averaging around 500 a day, as well as I use it as my daily ride to go to work and back. Mine has almost 30K miles on it and runs great!!! Never had a problem with it. Love the performance, nothing on the road can touch it.

With all of that said, I am selling mine because I just ordered a new HD Street Glide. Approaching 50 so I needed something different. Will let mine go for $6500. One think of note on mine is I do not have ABS or ESA, I bought it that way to reduce the maintenance cost and costly future repairs. All maintenance has been done at BMW Dealer including annual check, except oil changes I do myself.

I have BMW Saddle Bags, 3 wind screens (Stock bug, BMW Sport Screen and a touring screen), Throttlemeister Cruise Controls, and a tank bag to go with. When I go on trips it carries everything I need, tent, chair, and other necessities. Shoot me a message and I will send some pictures of it fully loaded. Just put a new front tire on it last week and rear has about 4K on it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode