Michelin Pilot Road 2 vs. 3 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2013, 9:37 pm Thread Starter

Michelin Pilot Road 2 vs. 3

For the past 12,000 miles, I have been running on Pilot Road 2's. Love them! They have worn very well.

Alas, it is time for new tires. I am debating about buying the Road 3's.

Anyone have any opinions about the 2's vs the 3's? Any reason to buy one over the other?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Bill

2006 K1200R
Loud brakes save lives!
Harley Davidson (noun) -The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise, without the side effect of horsepower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2013, 2:54 pm

Tires

Tires are always an interesting thread, because we all have personal opinions regarding what works best. I have not a clue what is "best", but continue to experiment with each new offering.
My previous experience with PR2s lasted just over 5,800 miles, then, after using Dunlop, Conti and Metz I went back to Michelin and the PR3s due to an upcoming cross country trip. That set lasted 9,843 miles! I was astounded.
I, needless to say, put on another set of the PR3s expecting similar mileage and handling performance. However, this set was used only around locally in the mountains about San Diego and its surrounds and lasted 4,104 miles. Another set of PR3s have now been installed and will track this set, but I am still looking for that "best" fit.
Good luck on your decision. Ride safe.
EJ
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2013, 5:47 pm Thread Starter

Apologizes, not trying to start another tire thread. Just trying to decided between the 2's or the 3's. I have decided that it will be one or the other.

Looking at Michelin's web site, there seems to be little difference between them. I was just hoping that someone could shed some light and make the decision easier.

It may just come down to cost. The 2's are slightly less expensive and they work well for me.

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, I have 12k on the set I have on the bike now. They really have held up very well and have worn very even.

Bill

2006 K1200R
Loud brakes save lives!
Harley Davidson (noun) -The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise, without the side effect of horsepower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2013, 2:49 am
Rookie

How on earth do you manage to get 12k miles out of a set of tyres!! The MOST i have ever got out of a rear is about 3k miles and maybe 6 on the front! Do the tyre companies in the states supply tyres in a harder compound?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2013, 8:05 am
Noob

My vote is the PR3. I have them on my R1200GS and got exactly 12000 miles on the rear. Still had some life to it but a nail prompted replacement. The front...has over 15000 miles on it and looks brand new! The x-sipes on the front are amazing.

I had two 2006 k1200r bikes. First one I put PR3's on it before I traded it in. Those tires are confidence inspiring and amazing. Second k1200r has brand news metzlers...not a big fan. Even though they are new, they are coming off for PR3's!

You are going to love the PR3 front tire.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2013, 5:07 am

I also would like how you get 12000 miles out of a rear, never get over 5000 kilometers myself. Must push it a lot. LOL

PR3's are the best tyres I have ridden on for road use wet or dry. PR2's were excellent as well but these are a definite improvement.

Cheers
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2013, 9:03 am
Noob

I ride my GS hard on the street. Lot of day trips too that eat miles. I would say tire pressure is the key for me. I run 40psi in the rear and stay on top of it. I try not to go below 37.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2013, 11:20 am
Rookie

Maybe the odd 50hp difference is the answer, still can't work out how you get that out of the tyre LOL
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2013, 8:04 am
Noob

Always true :-). That's why I have the K bike too! Lol. I just put PR3's on the K yesterday (38psi front/ 40psi rear) So I can compare. Much better then the Metzlers that were on there for sure! Now...how do I get 12000 miles on the bike the next 2 months
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2013, 2:49 pm
Noob

I cannot speak for the PR2s as I have never ridden them, but when I bought my K1200R second hand I think PR3s were first thing I bought for it (****ing Dunlops were scary..) the first set got 7675 miles, the rears were wearing slightly faster than the fronts and still had a bit more life in them, maybe another 500 miles but I dont wait till they reach that point. My rides are a lot of urban commutes with occasional country lane blasts. Will see how the second set get on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode