UK: Rear shock failure.. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2013, 8:15 am Thread Starter
Noob

UK: Rear shock failure..

Hi all.. Just had the happy news that the rear shock on my '07 24k mls R Sport has died.. Shock/damper ok but ESA controller is 'kaput'.. Is this common??

Needless to say, local BMW dealer can't fix and can only supply a complete unit to rectify at an approx. total cost of £2000 (fitted).
They did suggest a Wilbers shock grafted onto a working ESA unit but that entails finding a suitable used complete donor unit (with maybe blown shock/damper) but good ESA (..may be tricky since I have been told that the R/R Sport unit is not the same as the S or GT.. true?)
Though a good quality solution, this sounds complicated, and long winded.. which is a problem, since at the end of August I'm booked on a ferry to Spain for a 2-week holiday!!

So.. options.

Direct replacement shock - abandoning ESA
Any thoughts?.. Maxton, Nitron, Hagon?

Wilbers/ESA hybrid

Repair ESA
Can anyone do this? Can't find anything on t'interweb

I can't be the only owner to have had this problem so I welcome any of your thoughts or suggestions.

Ian.

"..The best revenge is living well"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2013, 10:20 am
Enthusiast

Just get a Normal Wilbers with remote Hydraulic preload, they start around £600, look up Revs Racing in Birmingham (Wilbers Importers), John and Nick are nice guys and will sort you out. Wilbers are built to your exact spec for weight/riding style.
Be aware that the Basic Wilbers though 10 times better than what you've had will only come with combined Rebound/Compression damping. If you want separate High/Low Compression then add another £200 or so, but then you've got the Dogs Doodas.

Oh yeah, Wilbers have a 5 year Warranty as long as you get it serviced after 20K I think.

And the other plus is in 2 or 3 years youll get at least half your money back, maybe more, in the mean time you can look around for an ESA controller to stick back on when you flog the bike.

£2K for an electronic bedspring? Taking the P...s

Tim
------------------

2011 K1300GT
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2013, 4:07 pm
Enthusiast

At the risk of sounding smug the very reason why I bought a K without because it's not a case if but when,non off which is helpful!! the easy route buy secondhand I've seen serveral both of UK but also German ebay,I don't beleave for a moment they are any different from either the S or R.

While I've never taken much notice I think their is a Wilbers ESA version but dread to think how much they cost but as I have non ESA Wilbers on mine I can vouch that they do work very well.

I have never read much about taking the ESA out and replacing with a non version and would the K electrics like it.

Alternatively if you still up to your neck in mud and alligators when it comes to going away I have a stock shock off an R Sport that you can barrow for a couple of weeks,but you will still have to do your own R+D as to the ESA system having parts taken off and being happy !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2013, 12:45 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscanning
At the risk of sounding smug the very reason why I bought a K without because it's not a case if but when,non off which is helpful!! the easy route buy secondhand I've seen serveral both of UK but also German ebay,I don't beleave for a moment they are any different from either the S or R.

While I've never taken much notice I think their is a Wilbers ESA version but dread to think how much they cost but as I have non ESA Wilbers on mine I can vouch that they do work very well.

I have never read much about taking the ESA out and replacing with a non version and would the K electrics like it.

Alternatively if you still up to your neck in mud and alligators when it comes to going away I have a stock shock off an R Sport that you can barrow for a couple of weeks,but you will still have to do your own R+D as to the ESA system having parts taken off and being happy !!!

Ahh, yes hadn't thought about that, (Disconnecting ESA), with Chris' kind offer you could maybe do the R&D and find out what happens when ESA is disconnected, my guess is that the system would log a Fault but not much else, but what about the front? Don't think the front is as complicated as from what Ive seen there is no adjusting preload on the front, just damping.

You could help out many following on by having a go, only gonna cost you a bit of spanner time. Im sure there are Guys in the states who have already dumped ESA for decent aftermarket manual stuff, in fact Im sure there is a Girl whos done it on a GT somewhere.

Tim
------------------

2011 K1300GT
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2013, 11:27 am Thread Starter
Noob

Hmmm.. Thanks for your swift and useful replies guys..

I'll admit I hadn't thought about how putting a non-ESA unit on the back would effect the electronics generally.

On older ESA models (i.e. not ESA 2) is the front shock involved at all??
I thought it had no adjustment - but 'Special-K' suggests there is damping adjustment.

If this is the case, it all becomes very complicated..
Is the front shock still adjustable by ESA?
If not, what setting is it on? - and how to adjust it if needed?

I seems like I've got a lot of questions to ask when business opens tomorrow.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2013, 12:21 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boncer
Hmmm.. Thanks for your swift and useful replies guys..

I'll admit I hadn't thought about how putting a non-ESA unit on the back would effect the electronics generally.

On older ESA models (i.e. not ESA 2) is the front shock involved at all??
I thought it had no adjustment - but 'Special-K' suggests there is damping adjustment.

If this is the case, it all becomes very complicated..
Is the front shock still adjustable by ESA?
If not, what setting is it on? - and how to adjust it if needed?

I seems like I've got a lot of questions to ask when business opens tomorrow.
Pretty sure even ESA1 does something to the front shock, there is a wire that goes to it so must do something, If you believe the b....ks, ESA2 also adjusted the spring rate as well as preload(On the rear anyway). The bike I tested with ESA2 still felt pretty average to me.

Tim
------------------

2011 K1300GT
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2013, 12:54 pm
Enthusiast

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2013, 1:53 pm
Enthusiast

Just had a thought!!! does the back end have to come off to get the ESA shock out?? or does it drop out like the stocker,
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2013, 4:05 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Ok.. Update time..
A couple of hours of telephoning/emailing has got some sensible answers to the ever increasing list of questions.

In no particular order, here we go..

The front shock is connected to the ESA system - damping only.

The rear shocks for ESA equipped R(& R Sport), S and GT are different part numbers because they are slightly different units.
The differences lie not in the shock but in the ESA parts - It seems you can't put an ESA shock from a R onto an S (or vice-versa).

You can replace the rear ESA shock with an after-market non-ESA shock without sending the electronics into a tizzy. However, the front shock will be stuck in whatever damping mode it was in at the time of disconnecting the rear shock.

(Big thanks to Martin at Vines BMW for sharing his expertise!)

So... end result is a shiny new made to order Wilbers rear shock ordered from those top guys at Revs Racing in Halesowen, to arrive in a week(ish).

Spain, here I come!!

Thanks again for all your advice.

Ian.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2013, 6:00 am
Rookie

Would it not be a wise move to replace the front with Wilbers as well so they are matched?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode