BMW tech stumped- 06 K12R severe "missing/hesitating" ONLY at low speeds -help - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2013, 9:37 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Unhappy BMW tech stumped- 06 K12R severe "missing/hesitating" ONLY at low speeds -help

Short version / Just the facts:
06’ K1200R 42,000 miles (2nd owner) - Only “performance” mods are 2nd air box intake cut-out & filter kit, and slip on exhaust.
Bike is severely “missing”, bucking, nearly stalling at times- but only at idle and low speeds. Idle has never been rock steady like a Honda, but not like this.

Engine “cuts out” feeling like it is only running on 3 cylinders at low speed (under 2K rpms?) Severe hesitation and very noticeable lack of power.
Problem instantly vanishes and runs great with no issues at highway speeds and hard acceleration at higher speeds. No noticeable hesitation or lack of power goosing the throttle while zipping down the road.

Took it to BMW dealership - only code is "Fuel Tank Vent". He wants to charge another 3 hours of labor to follow this code, but is not sure it is causing the problem I am having.

Long version: (sorry for the longer read, but I want to get as much info out as possible)
I would like to know if anyone might have some info that could help me out. The BMW dealer tech is wanting to charge me 3 hours of labor, and he is not sure the code my bike has registered is the cause of my problem.

I have a stock 2006 K1200R (42,000 miles). The bike is stock with the exception of opening up the 2nd air box intake & filter, and an aftermarket exhaust.

The bike started idling extremely rough and erratic, and evolved into what sounds and feels like it is "misfiring" at low speeds. Sounds & feels like it is running on 3 cylinders, bucking and surging UNTIL I break through about 2000 rpm…then it runs like a top and pulls clean and hard.

Did some research and thought it might be bad plugs?
Pulled all plugs and replaced them. They did not look too bad really.

Problem was seemed a bit better, but not much. Started running some Techron through tank too. Problem still there.

More research. Thought it might be an ignition coil. Measured the temp of the headers from cold start with infrared thermometer. Found one pipe that was constantly about 50 to 100 degrees colder than the others. Ordered a new ignition coil and replaced the one corresponding to the cold pipe.

Pipe still runs colder and the problem was still there.

I finally gave up and took it to one of the few BMW dealers in my state…Tech says the only code showing up is something called a “Fuel Tank Vent” code. Wants to charge me 3 more hours of labor to investigate this error, and he is not sure that is causing the problem. I am going to be out just under $400 at this point - and they Tech says he is relatively puzzled.

I would GREATLY appreciate any help or tips from people that know what is causing this problem, or have been through it themselves. The BMW tech wants me to email him anything I might find....lol. I should probably find a another dealership, but they are far and few where I live
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2013, 6:28 pm
Noob

Just chucking it out there but is the pipe running 50-100 cooler the left-most one? Also, have you tried running it with the "unofficial" air intake closed up?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2013, 2:11 am
Enthusiast

You seem fixated with paying 3 hours which frankly these bikes have the ability to send you bust unless you either have warranty or a good bank balance,take it to the dealer and leave it,with the kind of problem you have unless the dealer is very lucky he'll be spending far more hours working on the bike than he'll charge you.

The reality it could be a million and one things and that's what dealers are for,if he can't sort it they'll bring in a trouble shooter from head office to sort it,a little pressure from you along the way won't do any harm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2013, 10:37 am
JCW
contributor

problem seems to be fixed. bad coils.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2013, 9:09 pm
Noob

I appreciate the info. Mine's been giving me fits recently just like you described. I will start there now.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2015, 10:15 am
Noob

check the fuel pressure sensor

had all sorts of problems with engine stalling running rough at low RPM. if you can smell a strong fuel smell from your exhaust, and the bike goes fine when riding it hard but runs like shit after at low rpms it may be overfueling caused by a bad fuel pressure sensor. not that expensive part, best if you replace it yourself but you have to lift the tank to get to it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2015, 7:52 pm
Noob

One of my coils went at about 40K miles too, and the dealership recommended replacing all four at the same time, which I thought made sense. Fixed the problems, everything's good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode