ignition coil failure? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 2:54 pm Thread Starter
Addict

ignition coil failure?

Anyone know how long ignition coils usually last? It seems like at least one of my coils are dead or dying.

Last week, everything was fine, although it did seem like I was running a bit rich in the low end. Today, in slower speeds after engine braking/slowing down for a stop, upon mild acceleration, the exhaust note suddenly started sounding like a v-twin or boxer engine instead of the smooth 4-cyl notes. I backed off on the throttle, and after a few seconds, it was back to normal. The check engine light came on, but I was on the expressway already, so I took it easy for the next 3 miles. When I was almost at my destination, the same issue occurred, under the same circumstances (after engine braking).

I also noticed that unburnt gas (could smell it) was coming out of the exhaust which points to lack of spark/coil failure.

After some research, it seems like replacing the coil will take a lot of work, involving vacuum bleeding of the radiator. Unfortunately, I cannot do that myself, and will have to front the $500+ labor fee + parts for the dealer to do it.

Any suggestions as to what else could cause this problem if not the coil? Or anyone in the Northern Virginia area want to do the work for me? LOL

2006 K12R Aluminum - 6/2007~current
-ESA, ABS, heated grips, sport bags.
-PCIII w/ dyno tuned street map
-Leo Vince Ti silencer
-HID main light
-HID aux lights
-dual air filters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2013, 9:32 pm
JCW
contributor

Do you have a power commander?

Edit- just read that you do in your sig.

I think Chuck has the same symptoms and that may be traced to a failed pc3. keeping one of the injectors basically open all the time and dumping fuel.

I would remove the pc and do an engine ecu/tps reset.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2013, 12:35 am
Addict

I've had 2 coils go bad. If you have an infrared thermometer you can point it to the different header tubes to pinpoint the faulty cylinder.

James

’06 K1200R Corbin w/ smuggler, Wilbers shocks, PCIII, Factory Pro Dyno tuned, CC Suspension plates, Vario levers, Dual Evo filters, Leo Vince SBK, V1, Zumo 550

’02 WR250F Stock

’99 SV650 GSX-R front end, Aftershocks suspension, Penske shock, 41mm FCR flat slides, Bridgestone slicks, M4 exhaust, Vortex clipons, Woodcraft rearsets, Hot Bodies race bodywork, Factory Pro clutch cover, Total Loss ignition, BRG relocated battery, APE Adjustable Cam sprockets, JE 13:1 pistons, mild porting, balanced crank, Sunoco 110 race fuel

’98 KLX331 Race Tech suspension, 331 Stroker big bore kit, 33mm pumper, Tag bars, Stroker exhaust, IMS desert tank, tall seat foam w/ Stroker cover, Open air box, KX clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2013, 7:59 am
JCW
contributor

If it completely fails, you can even touch it. My yammi xs750 triple was running on two cylinders for a while. After start up you can keep your hand on the header pipe with the failed coil. the other two get hot quickly.

The other thing you can do is pull the plug, lay the body of the plug on the engine to ground it connected to the coil and crank it. look for a spark. To keep it from starting, I'd pull the fuel pump connector.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2013, 3:26 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Traced it to a fail/leaking fuel pump. This was really odd since I'm wondering how that could've led to a cyl failure and dark smoke out the exhaust. The injectors and coils tested just fine.

Fuel pump assembly was $$$$$ T_T

Everything works fine now, but I decided to remove the PCIII since the gas here on the east coast is 93, and it worked fine in testing after replacing the fuel pump. Main reason for removal was that I don't want to spend the money to get a new dyno tune.

So... PC III is for sale now, if anyone's interested. It has my dyno tuned map on it.

2006 K12R Aluminum - 6/2007~current
-ESA, ABS, heated grips, sport bags.
-PCIII w/ dyno tuned street map
-Leo Vince Ti silencer
-HID main light
-HID aux lights
-dual air filters
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2013, 4:51 pm
Veteran

I still haven't had it checked out. I ran a zero map and changed it back then a zero map and nothing helped. I haven't ridden much and live far from the dealership now.
Haven't taken care of the problem yet.

06 K1200R,76 Yamaha RD400 VOID 7/08 ,03 Kawi ZX-6R VOID 10/10/06, 94 Suzuki GSXR-750 VOID, 85 Yamaha FJ1100 VOID
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2014, 6:41 pm
Noob

4 new coils

My 2006 K1200s had 37000 miles on it. Parked it one night ran fine. Next morning sounded like a v twin. All cylinders started firing above 5000 rim but then went bad when I showed down. Dealer jersey me around and changed all 4 coil packs. They said it was best way to do it. I think they don't know how to trouble shoot it. $160 per coil pack and 5 hours labor set me back $1100. Runs fine now
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2014, 5:00 pm

At 38000 miles, the 2 outside coils were replaced. Bike died on the way home. It would fire briefly, then die. Extended warranty covered them but I may just replace the other 2 on my own.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2014, 11:14 am
Noob

Sputter Low RPM

Hi Guys,

Right, so I have changed coils 1 & 4- they were butchered by the pervious owner. I am encountering a sputter at RPM's 2000- 3000. I have changed the oil breather hose as it was really the only items that was still broken in the system. But, I still have this sputter.. Any ideas of what else it could be?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode