Wiring diagram - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2013, 2:33 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Wiring diagram

I'm new to this bike, love riding it but getting parts/info is obscenely difficult.
Found a reasonably good repair manual CD but it still leaves much to be desired. Does anyone know where to find a wiring diagram for 2007 K1200R Sport (K43)? I've found a few places to download them, look to be in England, but there's not enough info to know what they really are. I would also like to know more about the fuel injection/ignition system. Any help appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2013, 3:00 pm
JCW
contributor

I have not found a readble copy of the wiring diagram for our bikes. I'm sure the dealer has one. I wish someone would post one up...

as far as the injectors and ignition, what do you need to know, I have bits of information...

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2013, 3:02 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW
I have not found a readble copy of the wiring diagram for our bikes. I'm sure the dealer has one. I wish someone would post one up...

as far as the injectors and ignition, what do you need to know, I have bits of information...
Basically I'd like to know how the system works. I'm an auto tech with lots of experience in diagnostics, so I'll understand as much detail as is available. Is the fuel injection sequential or are they gang-fired? What does the computer use to read crank/cam position? Probably most importantly, is there some way to get into the engine management program? At slow speeds, the throttle becomes an on-off switch: difficult to ride through a school zone. Has anyone has figured out a fix for that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2013, 12:11 am
JCW
contributor

oooohhhhh I could go on for pages... but it's late and I have to get up early tommorrow.

From what I understand and have read, the k1200r snd s snd gt are sequential fire. The crank signal is off the front of the engine and is a x-2 teeth confirguation. Can't recall how many teeth. And it actually is the crankshaft gear that drives the oil pump.

There is a usual camshaft sensor near the cam chain tensioner measuring 1/2 engine speed.

Both of these are pretty standard for most motorcycle efi's.

The computer HAS a diagnostic plug that can access the computer but until recetly, the only way to get into the computer was to physically open the ecu and solder in some leads and do some BDM programming.

Recently, companies such as Rexxer and others have felt it profitable to finally offer reflashing services of the ecu. I know Max BMW motorcycles of Connecticut does this service as well.

Before this, piggyback computers (power commander, rapidbike) were used to fix the problem you relate. Over here and elsewhere it has been named the bucking bronco syndrome. LOL.

What year is your bike? Make sure that the dealer has performed all the ecu updates as BMW has reprogrammed the fuel maps presumably to help with fueling over the course of the k1200r lifespan.

If that doesn't work, consider getting a reflash.

The causes of your problem are multifactorial. First, the engine suffers from a significant amount of intake charge contamination due to the high overlap/long duration cam needed for high rpom performance (evidenced by the k1300 bikes having shorter duration cams and presumably less overlap). secondly, low speed mixing isn't the forte of the k1200 cylinder head (again the k1300 had smaller ports and an UGLY ridge cut into the head just above the valve to promote mixing). Finally, the K12R came with very lean fueling in a large part of the fueling map. Fixing this seems to solve a lot of the driveability problems.

I'm presuming that the bike is in good working condition, of course...

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 2:45 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Been away, just saw your reply. thanks
Bike is 2007 but I just bought it this spring with only 2100 miles. First stop was the dealer for recalls/updates. Not sure what they did, not happy with the service, not planning to return. I found a fuel leak at the fuel pump quick-disconnect. New male fitting fixed the problem and the bike seems to run better too, so maybe fuel pressure was contributing to the problem.

Your explanation is helpful, and your explanation of low rpm breathing difficulties makes perfect sense. I'll be riding up to Connecticut soon. If I'm still not happy with the way it runs, I'll plan to visit Max.

Now if I could just find a wiring diagram. I installed a heated seat and am not happy with power coming directly from the battery, would like to wire a relay through the ignition.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode