Tidying up the tail - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2006, 4:49 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Smile Tidying up the tail

Gents,

I've started tidying up the rear end and that licence plate hanger that I think comes from some sort of mining vehicle.

My efforts can be seen here:
http://madhouse.selincite.com/~jocke/k1200r_tail/

My initial thought was to put the licence plate on a hinge of some sort so that I could still access the seat key hole. But I've not found any good solution for that, so I'm going to, initially, settle for putting the plate as far up as possible. I think I'll also get a plate that's about 1" smaller...
I'm planning on hanging the plate by using two pieces of aluminium flat "bars". I'm going to attach them to the back of the "lip", then bend them into a U-shape so they go upward, and then attach the plate to that. This way I should be able to angle the plate like I want, and put it as far up as I want.

I'm also pondering if I should put on a set of smaller indicators, as the BMW ones are nice, but a bit too large.

The biggest problem I have is the holes left by removing the pillion grab rails.. I've got no good looking solution for this. Tips are very welcome!

We'll see where this ends up

F800GS - Grey/Black
KTM SuperDuke R
K1200R - Yellow/Black - Crashed 2008-09-01. I'm an eedjit.
Site: JLHPv5, Weblog: JLHPBv2
'Ring Toy - Evo Race Filters - Sportec M3 - Sandbar Dogbones - Tidy Tail - USB Power Plug - eTrex Legend C - Abba Superbike stand - R&G Crash Protectors (tested!) - Relocated Battery - Pirelli Diablo Corsa III (190/55 rear) - Evo O2 Modifier - Pazzo Levers - Earl's Straight Braided Brake Hoses - Wilbers Fully Adjustable Shocks Front and Rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2006, 9:03 am

I too...

looked at putting the plate over the BMW emblem at the rear but couldn't come up with a design I liked but you've made good start- but I'm not really picturing your placement of the plate from your discription. looking forward to seeing your solution. Good luck!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2006, 9:22 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Thumbs up Plate hanger description

It's a bit difficult to describe - let me give it another shot...

In picture 03_k12r_tailpiece_start.jpg you can see two holes, one at the level of the BMW badge, the other one at the level of the seat lock. There's similar holes on the other side of the badge/lock.
The plan is to attach one aluminium bar on each side of the badge/lock. They'd be attached on the back side (towards the front of the bike). The aluminium bars would point straight down. That's until I'd bend them to look like a U-shape (from the side). I.e they'd be bent from the back (front of bike) of the hanger to the other side - up towards the lock. This way I'd be able to locate the licence plate in "any" angle, and at "any" vertical position. Simply by bending the bars and then cutting and drilling them to suit the plate. The plate would not be fastened to the plate-hanger-lip at all (except through the bars going to the back.

I've made an "artists impression" to illustrate...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k1200r_tail_drawing.gif
Views:	861
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	1621  

F800GS - Grey/Black
KTM SuperDuke R
'Ring Toy - Evo Race Filters - Sportec M3 - Sandbar Dogbones - Tidy Tail - USB Power Plug - eTrex Legend C - Abba Superbike stand - R&G Crash Protectors (tested!) - Relocated Battery - Pirelli Diablo Corsa III (190/55 rear) - Evo O2 Modifier - Pazzo Levers - Earl's Straight Braided Brake Hoses - Wilbers Fully Adjustable Shocks Front and Rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2006, 11:35 am

I see..

thanks for the illustration, make sense now...could you use springs, small bungees cords attached to the front side of the alum brackets that would then allow the plate to slide down when needing to access the lock area? just a thought...look forward to your solution. Northern Monkey, are you going to do something simular to your Powercup replica?
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2006, 11:49 am

Good work and keep us posted. I'm hoping someone will come out w/ and aftermarket solution to the pile of plastic hanging off the back.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2006, 11:53 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignore Amos
thanks for the illustration, make sense now...could you use springs, small bungees cords attached to the front side of the alum brackets that would then allow the plate to slide down when needing to access the lock area? just a thought...look forward to your solution. Northern Monkey, are you going to do something simular to your Powercup replica?
Aaha..... springs there now, that's a good idea...

*sound-of-cogs-turning*

Can't wait for work to finish so I can go home via DIY store to fix this

F800GS - Grey/Black
KTM SuperDuke R
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2006, 12:50 pm

What about mounting the tag to the left-hand passenger foot peg bracket, or would you see problems with clearance on left handers?
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2006, 2:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoker
The biggest problem I have is the holes left by removing the pillion grab rails.. I've got no good looking solution for this. Tips are very welcome!
You could fit an Ilmberger carbon fibre rear light cover without the holes for the hand grips - when they are available, which will be soon!!

sandbar (just up the road from you)
www.sandbarcomposites.co.uk

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2006, 4:13 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Unhappy

I spent a very long time trying to find something "springy" in the DYI shops near me yesterday, and the only two close-to-viable ideas that I came up with were.
a) Some elastic bungee rope
b) a drain unblocking spring

:wtf

Not very good.... That's all the progress I've made...

F800GS - Grey/Black
KTM SuperDuke R
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2006, 4:17 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbar
You could fit an Ilmberger carbon fibre rear light cover without the holes for the hand grips - when they are available, which will be soon!!

sandbar (just up the road from you)
www.sandbarcomposites.co.uk

Sandbar - I know of your products from my previous GS-life.... MMmmm tasty... And pricey...

F800GS - Grey/Black
KTM SuperDuke R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode