New K12R Owner - Questions - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2013, 12:21 pm Thread Starter
Noob

New K12R Owner - Questions

I picked up a low mileage 2007 K1200R Sport a few days ago. Two questions:

1. It ran out of fuel on the highway. As it died the fuel warning light came on. Gauge showed fuel and it read 41 miles until empty. I figured there might be a reserve still left but couldn't figure out how to access it. Anyway, after being rescued with a one gallon can, I was only able to put another 3 gallons in at the gas station. So I'm thinking there was still fuel in the tank. What am I missing here?

2. Bike makes a rattling sound over bumps at low speeds. I was hoping it was a loose fairing or kickstand but can't find anything. Could this be a transmission/clutch issue? Bike has 3,900 miles.

Thanks.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2013, 6:38 pm

There is a notorious fuel gauge issue, I picked mine up a few months back and ran out of gas the first time out for an extended ride. Something to do with US gas' effect on the gauge reading strip, high sulfer or something.

Not sure on your noise, I've got a k1200r so perhaps a sport owner can weigh in.

Welcome and ride safe,
Brian
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2013, 11:26 am
Enthusiast

Bit of a trick question!! put a gallon in then go to the fuel station and put another 3 in so thats 4 ,I know the US gallon is smaller to ours but it's a 19L tank and the pickup isn't on the bottom so you looking at 18ish litres relating that from Imperial to US gallons sounds about right to me what you got in.

That is unless when you put the gallon in and went 40 miles to the gas station!!,and yes I do have a sport.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2013, 11:50 pm
Noob

Sorry guys, a newbie from Down Under (Australia). What is the fuel consumption that you will expect with a full tank? How many kms in the city and on open roads?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2013, 2:14 am
Noob

Hello and welcome to R Sport ownership. I love mine.

Sorry I can't help you with the fuel problem as mine behaves by the book.

I too have the rattling at low speed and mine is definitely the brake pads rattling within the calipers. I have heard others report that EBC or other aftermarket pads are worse than OEM. However, mine are OEM and if I didn't wear ear plugs, the noise would drive me nuts.
Enjoy your new bike.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2013, 10:44 am
Noob

Wish I could help with your problem. I just picked up a k12r myself. So far my low fuel light and mileage countdown seem to work. Good luck getting it worked out though!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2013, 2:39 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the replies.

The fuel gauge went completely AWOL shortly after this episode. The dreaded fuel strip for sure.

And it's definitely the brake pads rattling. Happy it's not something more serious but wondering if anyone knows a cure. These are the original pads. Bike now has about 4700 miles.

Thanks again.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2013, 1:22 pm
Noob

I had the same problem. With the tank filled right to the brim, which takes while to trickle in the fuel, mine ran out at 179 miles after a long motorway run at around 90mph. I usually fill to the brim every time and refill at the next station after 100 miles, but dont let it get much beyond 140. If you ride hard you will need to refuel earlier. The fuel guage is not reliable.

My fairing rattles a lot as well, but nothing seems to be loose and nothing has fallen off in 52,000 miles.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2014, 12:22 pm
Noob

Common issues

Both issues seem to be common..
I have the rattle.. Which I suspected was the brakes but have done nothing to fix.. Happy that it's a common issue.
First thing I fixed was my fuel sensor. A few bucks and a bit of a learning curve but it works great now!
I get close to 180miles per tank and that costs me 21/22$ to fill with premium 92 octane.
FYI sport version here as well
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2014, 7:25 am
Rookie

k1200r sport issues

The fuel gauge issue seems universal to American bikes so I won't even consider trying to fix it. I just track my mileage. As far as consumption goes around town I have run out at the 140-150 mile range. I just did a 400 mile trip on Saturday and on the road and I got 200 miles out of a full tank. For me this is just enough to keep this bike if the range was any less then that it would have to go. I also have the rattle but from what I have read that is typical. I am very happy with my bike so far. Richard.

Last edited by oldfool; Jun 5th, 2014 at 7:27 am. Reason: more

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode