After all these years ... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2013, 6:07 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

After all these years ...

I'm 37 now and I started driving when I was 16. So that's 21 years of driving and riding. In all that time, I have never had the same vehicle for more than 3.5 years. And I've had my share of nice cars (Range Rover, AMG mercs...) Never really liked anything past the 3 year mark.

I've had my K12R (Beatrice) for 7 years now. It was the 5th bike I ever bought and I've bought and sold 4 more while I've owned it. This past week I took her in for some software updates and recall work. They did some crazy software update to ESA, Brakes, and Fuel system, and throttle response. All 4 of those things they claim were updated. While they did this I test drove nearly every bike they had on the lot and got to ride home with a 800GSA for a couple of days as a demo (great bike also).

When I picked up the bike today I fell in love with it all over again. With all the updates its running better than it ever did on day 1, the fuel smell is gone, and the throttle response is surgical. The dealer was nice enough to wash it for me too. It feels so planted on the road and it's the safest feeling thing on 2 wheels I have ever been on. Not to mention with my Leo Vince it sounds absolutely incredible too. I was ready to trade it in because I'm worried the ESA or the ABS will set me back several thousand if either of them give out (10k miles, 7 years on the bike). But after riding it again today with the benefit of having ridden all available options, I think I'm just going to take good care of her and make sure she's maintained really well each year. I have no doubt in my mind that it's the only bike that could keep me in love for all these years.

My big worry is that in all that time I think I have only flushed the brakes 2 times ... Do you guys normally do this job yourself or do you have the dealer do it? And how often? Anything else I should do routinely to make sure it stays awesome? Other than oil changes that is...

T

Now you see me, now you don't
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2013, 6:53 pm
ded
Noob

After all these years....

I have same bike as you 2006 k1200r. I would like to know what was updated exactly?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2013, 1:11 am
JCW
contributor

isn't bleeding the brakes with ABS a little tricky?

I agree. Great bike. Amazing they are doing updates still after 7 years.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2013, 3:34 pm

I have had the brakes flushed at the dealer twice (recommended interval is 2 years) during the extended warranty period which ends in this coming July. I did it myself last summer and yes, it is a bit tricky and requires a special funnel and caliper spacers. Both of which are easily made at home. If I remember correctly, there are 7 bleeders. Not too bad of a job if you don't think about how easy a normal brake flush is.

After 39000 miles and 6 years, I still love mine too. My only gripes have been the price of parts and all my nearby dealerships are horrible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode