New guy saying hello - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2013, 11:13 am Thread Starter
Noob

Location: Catterick, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
New guy saying hello

Hi guys,

I've owned my 2008 K1200R-Sport for about 6 months now so I thought I better say hello. I love the bike to bits, so much power and much more individual, exclusive and better looking than the run-of-the-mill Japanese competitors.

I had a go on a 2010 R1200 RT SE today because I was thinking of buying it. 60 miles there on the "K" and the RT struck me as a bike for people who don't like bikes. Very comfortable but the engine belongs in a piece of farm machinery. It made me appreciate just how good the K1200R Sport is.

Anyway, I hope to learn a lot from the forum. Speak to you all soon.

Ross

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2013, 6:31 pm
Enthusiast

Nice looking bike You'll love the power and torque of the 4's over the sissy twins.
Now, if you can learn to ride on the "proper" side of the road like the rest of the world. You'll have many years of fun.

Richie
04 K12GT
89K100RS (Gone, but not forgotten)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2013, 9:51 pm
Noob

Welcome Ross

G'day Ross

I'm an ex Pom in Australia and have just hyperjumped from 40 years as a Triumph rider into a K1200. Can't quite make up my mind whether it should come with a cardigan or not. It's quick and powerful but somehow very "respectable".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2013, 5:15 am Thread Starter
Noob

Location: Catterick, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizbz
Nice looking bike You'll love the power and torque of the 4's over the sissy twins.
Now, if you can learn to ride on the "proper" side of the road like the rest of the world. You'll have many years of fun.
Thanks Richie, the twins aren't a patch on the in-line 4s. My Yamaha FZ6-SA was FAR quicker than the boxer twins.

As for riding on the proper side of the road, our training and testing requirements mean we are skilled enough to ride anywhere. More than can be said for the formality that is the DMV motorcycle endorsement you guys get http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1AnPNu6QlI

................not that I'm jealous that my training and the 2 tests required to get a motorcycle licence cost about $1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickie
G'day Ross

I'm an ex Pom in Australia and have just hyperjumped from 40 years as a Triumph rider into a K1200. Can't quite make up my mind whether it should come with a cardigan or not. It's quick and powerful but somehow very "respectable".
Cheers David, no relation to Matt Quick?

Triumphs are great bikes, love the sound of that triple.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 8:49 am
Noob

Welcome aboard Ross. I have the same bike as you; Cosmic Blue. Fabulous machine. I've had mine for 3 years and it now has 33k on it. I was tempted to replace her with something else but after looking around and doing the sums, there seemed little point in shelling out more cash for something I may not like as much. So, I bought a second bike for winter commuting and gentle B road exploring, keeping the K for my longer trips and touring.
Enjoy..
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2014, 12:04 pm
Rookie

k1220r sport

I just picked up a 2007 k1200r sport and it looks just like yours. Great bike lots of power and fast. Love it. I also have an hp2 ,farm machinery, that will do things you could not imagine on the k bike. The light weight and mid range power are phenomenal. Completely different animals. Luckily I get to have them both. The k is my new interstate runner. Which will go on my annual road trip. Have fun . Richard.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2014, 7:10 am
Rookie

Hi Ross, looks like we have the same bike. I have owned this R-sport for 5 years.
After getting to know her better, sometime you can do a few intersting things..

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2014, 12:05 pm
Noob

Greeting from Canada!

I picked up the same bike last year with 17k on it.
Love it and it really turns heads!

I had a bit of an issue last night while riding.. Engine stopped as I clicked the high beams.. I'm thinking an alternator power issue as the battery is new.

Any thoughts on mods?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	16081  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2014, 6:39 am
Noob

Sweet looking ride! But don't bash those Boxers!!!! I loved my R1100S for years. 65,000 miles of good, throaty low end nasty torque. Those double pipes tucked up under the seat. Ahhhhh, memories. Shoulda kept that old girl when I got the 4 banger Sport. The KR Sport is an awesome ride in its own rite. Loads of wind-outable power in all gears, I need to remind myself to drop it into 6 when I'm on the highway. Sometimes I need to force myself to run up the revs on the Sport---the old Boxer loved 4k rpm but wasn't much of a player north of 6k. Poor thing would be begging for an upshift at that rate.

I'm glad I spent years on the boxer before heading out on the Sport--it's so stupid fast I'm glad I worked my way into it after many miles.

Best of luck with that and ride safe!!!!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2014, 10:44 pm
Noob

Another new K owner here, I think we got the right bike finally :-)

2006 K1200R Silver
2001 KTM Duke II 640
1966 Vespa SS180

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode