Barnett Clutch Installed - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2014, 7:35 pm Thread Starter

Barnett Clutch Installed

I just finished installing the Barnett clutch pack. This replaces the second clutch after about 29K miles. The first one crapped out at 11K and was replaced under the factory warranty. The extended warranty won't touch anything to do with the clutch and I was unwilling to spend $1500 just for the replacement parts from the fatherland.

The clutch didn't slip, but had rather severe juddering as did the original when it failed. The friction pads on the first disc, where it rides on the aluminum hub, were gone. It was aluminum on aluminum. Only very slight wear on the hub surface. There were no undulations hammered into the hub splines by the drive plates but there was slight hammering on the basket. I chose not to dress it up as it was fairly minor,

Disassembly was straightforward with the factory clutch holding tool. The center nut is torqued to 148 ft. lbs. so the proper holding tool was almost a necessity. Assembly is pretty easy but you have to be careful to get the friction discs in correctly. There is one narrow slot and a narrow ear on the disc but they are not symmetrical. so you have to make sure each one is flipped the proper way to slide into the basket. The small ear is marked with red on each friction plate. Torqueing the center nut to 148 ft. lbs. would seem very challenging without the holding tool so I was glad I got it. The six 5mm bolts that hold the spring were torqued to 20 Nm. I replaced the one-shot aluminum cover bolts with reusable titanium bolts tightened to 80 in. lbs.

The test ride went well with no juddering or other problems. The whole job could be done in about an hour or so. I took a bit longer but it would go much quicker the next time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2014, 9:32 am
Addict

I don't have any problems so far, but others have done this with great results. Did you happen to take pics along the way? Would make a nice DIY post

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2014, 9:37 pm Thread Starter

No pics, sorry. One further observation though, it is evident that not enough oil gets to the clutch. When the first replacement clutch was installed by the dealer, they installed the updated oil nozzle. Apparently it still isn't enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2014, 3:00 pm
Enthusiast

Where did you acquire the clutch parts and Ti bolts? Thanks for the good tips.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. Will Durant

2006 K 1200 R
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2014, 4:53 pm Thread Starter

Ebay for both. The Ti bolts are Torx head made for bicycles. They are more expensive than the stock BMW aluminum bolts, but I will never have to replace them just because I removed them. (There is no reason you couldn't use steel bolts.) One more comment, some will use an air impact wrench on the center nut but I don't like the idea of hammering on the transmission so I loosen it by hand.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2014, 7:59 pm
Noob

Good stuff here. Wish you had some pics, though. I will be doing this as well shortly. Your description of your clutch failure Is a match to my symptoms right now. The stock clutch made it to 20k. I like the fact it is practically in my lap for working on, though! Thanks for the info!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2014, 11:47 pm
Noob

hi,

the clutch plate on my bike is completely wasted. its a 2009 k1300r and i cannot find replacement parts for it.
i ordered the bernett clutch kit from ebay but sadly it did not fit so i returned it, i am confused why it didnt fit my bike.

what can i do with it. is there any place i can buy it
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2018, 4:20 pm
Noob

"they installed the updated oil nozzle" What does that mean? Where is that nozzle?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2018, 4:24 pm
Noob

"they installed the updated oil nozzle" What does that mean, which nozzle, where is it?

Thanks
Chris
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 2018, 12:25 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by K16R View Post
"they installed the updated oil nozzle" What does that mean, which nozzle, where is it?

Thanks
Chris
I have the same question for my '06 K1200S, fwiw, so I'm bumping again. Some people have reported drilling out the hole in the end of the flat-on-one-side end of the nozzle, but no one has posted either a how-to for that home remedy, or an "updated oil nozzle" we can just buy and install ourselves.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode