How do I bleed the Clutch? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2014, 12:34 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Question How do I bleed the Clutch?

New to the forum, have a 2007 K1200R, need help bleeding the clutch, scratched the clutch cylinder, took it off to retouch, but drained excessive fluid and clutch is not working. If anyone can help, that would be great!
1. Which mineral oil do I use without going to the dealership?
2. How do I bleed the clutch line?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2014, 2:01 pm
Rookie

Go to BMW for the fluid, its not required but they will get you the correct fluid, they sell a small bottle that will save you some money versus buying a Quart

Do you know how to bleed brakes? Same procedure although I saw a BMW mechanic fill the system with a syringe from the bleeder point, he said it wasn't required to do it that way but was quicker and introduced less air into the system, basicall a couple of pumps and he was done

Come to think of it........did you get bleeder screw to replace the grub screw? You'll need to do that first, again your local shop should have this for you
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2014, 11:59 am Thread Starter
Noob

I didn't get the bleeder screw, the bleeding kit from Harbor Freights had different size nozzles, I tried bleeding it, didn't work, though there are no bubbles in the fluid but the clutch is still limp. Tried pushing fluid with a syringe as well, same result.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2014, 4:30 am
Noob

if you can remove the slave cylinder (the engine side) try clamping the piston all the way in. You can then bleed the clutch the same way as you bleed brakes.

I always found bleeding hydraulic clutches to be an utter pig unless you did it this way.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2014, 3:18 am
Veteran

Yes, get the BMW fluid. It's a tiny bottle and not that expensive. Then bleed it like you would do brakes. I found that I couldn't get the last of the air out so I leant the bike to the right (non-clutch) side in the garage overnight and then I put a clamp (or was it cable-tie) onto the clutch handle overnight and that squeezed the last of the air out.

There's nothing special in bleeding the system, just that it seems prone to having air trapped in it. Good luck!

F800GS - Grey/Black
KTM SuperDuke R
K1200R - Yellow/Black - Crashed 2008-09-01. I'm an eedjit.
Site: JLHPv5, Weblog: JLHPBv2
'Ring Toy - Evo Race Filters - Sportec M3 - Sandbar Dogbones - Tidy Tail - USB Power Plug - eTrex Legend C - Abba Superbike stand - R&G Crash Protectors (tested!) - Relocated Battery - Pirelli Diablo Corsa III (190/55 rear) - Evo O2 Modifier - Pazzo Levers - Earl's Straight Braided Brake Hoses - Wilbers Fully Adjustable Shocks Front and Rear

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode