BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

BMW's K1200 R voted Motorcycle of the Year 2005!

7K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  sinc 
#1 ·
Transferred post, Originator: Locus

A BIG CONGRATULATIONS from I-BMW.com and its Members !!!

BMW?s K1200 R voted Motorcycle of the Year 2005!

From BMW UK:
24/08/2005

The most powerful and aggressively styled production street bike in the world ? the BMW K1200 R ? has been voted ?Motorcycle of the Year? by the top US publication, Motorcyclist ? just two months after the bike?s official launch.

Editors of Motorcyclist magazine agonised over a shortlist of 12 different models, including competitors from Italy and Japan, before finally concluding which bike had had the most profound impact on motorcycling in 2005.

Equipped with the same powerful four-cylinder engine as BMW?s K1200 S superbike and combined with outstanding innovations such as the BMW Duolever suspension and optional Electronic Suspension Adjustment, press reports all over the world have regarded the 163 bhp K1200 R as a leader in its class. Now, the naked roadster has been rewarded with its first prestigious award.

?Give BMW credit for doing what Japan wouldn?t or couldn?t do: bolt serious horsepower into a big, comfortable naked bike. This German translation leaves its contemporaries looking relatively underdressed when it comes to technological accoutrements,? said Motorcyclist magazine.

The magazine added: ?After re-inventing the heart and soul of its motorcycle line-up in little more than a year, BMW clearly isn?t afraid of thinking outside the box. In fact, we?re pretty sure it scrapped the box entirely.?

As well as securing the ultimate honour, BMW Motorrad?s top-selling R1200 GS and R1200 RT also won the awards for Best Adventure and Best Touring Bike respectively. Currently the fourth best-selling bike overall in the UK, BMW?s R1200 GS is no stranger to success. Last year it was awarded a Gold accolade in the Industrial Design Society of America?s International Design Excellence Awards, as well as winning the Best Trailie award at the UK?s prestigious Motor Cycle News Awards.

Launched at the beginning of 2005, BMW?s new generation R1200 RT has gone on to top the touring sales charts thanks to its outstanding ride comfort and ?active touring? capabilities. Motorcyclist said: ?It balanced the comfort and accoutrements that make 1,000 mile days possible with unexpectedly athletic handling. There?s a heated seat, electronically adjustable suspension and even a sensor that checks the oil while you ride. What more could the dedicated motorcycle touring enthusiast conceivably want??

From BMW USA :

August 1, 2005 - Not one, not two, but three BMW motorcycles have earned coveted titles from the editors of Motorcyclist magazine. In the publication's September issue, BMW Motorrad's 2006 K 1200 R was named "2005 Motorcycle of the Year" while the BMW R 1200 GS (last year's Motorcycle of the Year) clinched the "Best Adventure" category and the BMW R 1200 RT captured top honors in the "Best Touring" category. According to the magazine's editors, it was the first time three of the ten annual awards were given to one manufacturer.

Every year, Motorcyclist editors evaluate all of the newly introduced motorcycle models and select one that they believe has had the most profound impact on motorcycling.
"Give BMW credit for doing what Japan wouldn't or couldn't do," said Motorcyclist editors about the K 1200 R, "bolt serious horsepower into a big, comfortable naked bike. This German translation of the naked ideal serves up more motorcycle, leaving its contemporaries looking relatively underdressed when it comes to technological accoutrements."

They pointed out, "as racing technology shrinks the modern sportbike, the BMW is unashamedly big - big enough to accommodate full-sized humans tired of being stuffed into fetal riding positions."

With 163 horsepower and pavement-scorching torque, the BMW K 1200 R is the most powerful naked bike ever to roll off a motorcycle assembly line. From its revolutionary Duolever suspension and Electronic Suspension Adjustment to its partially-integral ABS, the K 1200 R offers a potent combination of technology and muscle.

In summarizing what makes BMW's K 1200 R their pick for 2005 Motorcycle of the Year, Motorcyclist editors concluded, "After reinventing the heart and soul of its motorcycle line-up in little more than a year, BMW clearly isn't afraid of thinking outside the box. In fact, we're pretty sure it scrapped the box entirely. Here's an 82-year-old company that doesn't think like one. It's clearly going after...buyers who want everything - power, comfort, technology and attitude - in one package. No concessions. No apologies. No kidding."

Since its introduction in early 2004, the versatile R 1200 GS - winner of Motorcyclist's Adventure category - has won consistent praise from motorcycle enthusiasts and the motorcycling press for its exceptional performance both on and off-road. In addition to being named Motorcycle of the Year in 2004 by editors of Motorcyclist, International Bike of Year by industry editors, and selected as one of Cycle World's top ten motorcycles for 2004, the GS also earned an International Design Excellence "Gold" Award by the Industrial Design Society of America.

Capturing Motorcyclist's Touring category, the BMW R 1200 RT combines the potent torque of the BMW Boxer engine with the sophisticated design and smooth ride of a premium-touring machine. The RT has traditionally been the mainstay of BMW's model line. BMW Motorrad has again reinvented the new R 1200 R creating a mix of excitement and ergnomics making the RT equally capable of nimbly leaning into a Rocky Mountain pass or gliding gracefully over a grey slash of Montana highway.

See less See more
#2 ·
K1200R award

On once again reviewing the article re "K1200 R voted Motorcycle of the Year 2005"! it seems rather ironical now! I had a hard time locating and buying my bike as a new purchase due to short supply. I now wonder who was buying them all.

Having decided on a change to a K1200S I called three major UK BMW dealers to learn that they cannot sell what K1200R's they have in stock, and don't want my bike at virtually any price, despite an attractive dealer promotion plan!

I should point out that it's one year old, in perfect condition, has all the extras with only 4,000 miles on the clock. I have no problems at all with the bike, I just wanted a change.

I've written to BMW asking what happened to the "superior residual value", nothing received as yet.

Regards to all, hope you have more luck if you fancy a change!!

#3 ·
I know this is an old thread but I noticed the same thing with the K1200R's. I ride an 06 K1200R. I bought I with 2500 miles on it for $9800 in December 06. They have the same new K1200R on the floor now. All of there other bikes are 07's. It is the only 06 on the floor. Everyone loves to look at the K12R but nobody is buying them. Thankfully I love mine and will probably keep it forever. I like that my bike is diferent than everyone elses. I ride witeh a large group and they are all on GSXR's and CBR's. They are nice but I like to be different. What have you done with your bike? I hope you have embraced it. It is the baddest, fastest, raddest naked bike out there. I can't understand why people aren't beeting down the doors trying to get one. Oh well, It is what it is. :p

#4 ·
i don't mind that they are not selling like mad. i like the bike and intend on keeping it for a long long long time. with low numbers, i still have people gawking and oohing all the time. i dig the bike and don't really care if a lot of other people have it. i really didn't buy the bike because a million other people would want the same bike. to each his own.

#5 ·
Its very interesting that they are not selling in the US.... its much the same down here in Australia. Ive only seen 2 on the road in a few months.

I suspect the reason is that a lot of people are scared of the things... 170hp appeals a lot to the 25 year old GSX_R, R1, ZX10, CBRR crowd (yes i am aware other groups buy these bikes too), but the people buying K12Rs are probably older, wealthier, ??wiser.... and therefore fewer. I'm like you, i love my K12R, will hang onto it for a long while.

#6 ·
Don't know about elsewhere, but here in Italy it's selling as expected: a lot for such an expensive bike. Yes, most of my friends who ride naked are on Z1000s, FZ1s, Ducati Monster. All of them cost around 30% less than my K-R, even before you start considering ESA, panniers and some other gadget. The only naked bike costing more than a K-R that springs to my mind is the MV Brutale, and you don't get to see many of those around, too.

Then there's people who just doesn't like the look of the thing - the K-R is one of those bikes you either love or hate, madly. Lots of people love 'er. Most of them can't afford her or simply doesn't want to spend that kind of money on a bike. Here in Italy, MV F4 in one or another form has constantly stolen "bike of the year" competitions. It doesn't mean it's selling much.

As for me, I wouldn't swap mine for anything else. And I'm way happy to be one of the few, the proud, etc. to have it. :)

CYA, Ed

#7 ·
for me passing on the R was strictly because i couldn't get pass the headlight, other than that the R is a nice looking bike but that ghastly headlight is a big turn off in my opinion. i settled on the "S" and have been satisfied with it so far. had the r-sport been available a year ago when i purchased my S i would have seriously considered buying one.

#8 ·
wellcraft said:
for me passing on the R was strictly because i couldn't get pass the headlight, other than that the R is a nice looking bike but that ghastly headlight is a big turn off in my opinion. i settled on the "S" and have been satisfied with it so far. had the r-sport been available a year ago when i purchased my S i would have seriously considered buying one.
"ghastly!?!?!" BLASPHEMY! :yeah

#9 ·
wellcraft said:
for me passing on the R was strictly because i couldn't get pass the headlight, other than that the R is a nice looking bike but that ghastly headlight is a big turn off in my opinion....

Yes, a face only a mother could love. However, ya don't have to look at it from the rider's seat. Reminds me of a woman I dated in my youth - not the prettiest face on the block but man, the performance was one for the record books. :teeth

#11 ·
Ass... which one..?

:yeah :teeth

#14 ·
They don't sell many KRs here in Victoria...and I think I know why. They are damn expensive! Mine was $19K Cdn, but with the options it was more like $23K...with taxes $26K. There aren't many people that want to, or can afford to pay $26K for a motorcycle, especially for one perceived to have a focussed application (urban riding as opposed to touring or sport riding - both of which it actually does very well). Then, there is the insurance and maintenance on a $26K bike...also expensive.

If people *are* going to spend that kind of money they generally opt for a full on touring bike or Harley. And actually the dealer doesn't sell many GTs either, no wonder with a price close to $30K.

Yes, I'm sure the looks of the KR turn off some but mostly it's the bucks. They didn't sell many Ram Air IV GTOs or Hemis either but that didn't mean they weren't desirable! A RA IV GTO was over 25% more expensive than the standard GTO. They ended up only selling around 700 69 RA IV GTOs out of over 72,000 69 GTOs produced. But what does everyone want these days, and ponies up the big bucks for? The RA IV and the Hemi! They want the top dogs.

I bought my bike over a year ago and have been very pleased but it was expensive, especially compared with what they are paying for the same bike south of the border. I doubt it would be easy to sell for anything close to what I paid for it. Fortunately I don't care because I don't plan on selling it, just riding it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.