Odd issue driveline - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2014, 6:30 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Odd issue driveline

My K1200R has developed a disconcerting problem. 39500 miles. When accelerating HARD 1st or 2nd gear, possibly and probably all the other gears, the driveline will let loose for a split second. It feels as though the teeth on a sprocket have rounded off and the chain slips around the sprocket one tooth.. I know the bike has a driveshaft, I'm only describing how it feels. I've been doing a lot of searching online and can not find anyone that seems to have a similar issue. I've called 3 dealerships and none of them say they've ever heard of anything like this. My first thought is possibly the clutch, it works normally. Feels like it always has and does not slip at all under load. As long as I don't get on it more than about 75-80% torque, all is good. It feels very abrupt, no noise that I can hear, when it happens and it will let loose for a millisec then hookup normally for 1 or 2 full seconds then again it will let go for a millisec and then grab. I've only done it about ten times, I'm afraid of catastrophic failure! I would love to hear if anyone has some good theories before I do a search and repair. The engine is not misfiring and runs strong. Thanks for any time spent helping.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. Will Durant

2006 K 1200 R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2014, 1:21 pm

The BMW dealerships are trained to deny knowledge of the many recurring and not uncommon issues with their bikes. I think you might have the "pops out of 2nd under acceleration" issue. There is some info here or in the K1200S forum about this problem. I think someone had found a shop that will undercut the dogs and refurb the tranny for about a grand. I can't recall off the top of my head, but a search will probably give up the info.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2014, 10:09 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks, searching what you suggested has revealed the unfortunate issue with my bike. I am going to need a trans or a refurb. Hopefully the thing is still salvageable. I can't begin to express my displeasure with BMW with this issue known for so long and they won't stand behind their product. I'll NEVER buy another. I bought this bike thinking if i took good care of it (i work on Volvo's for a living) i'd have it for the rest of my life with only maintenance, Silly me, i expected Quality from BMW !

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. Will Durant

2006 K 1200 R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2014, 12:32 am

R&D in florida is the best IMO. will cost you 1400-1700 USD. This is a WELL documented problem. In 2008 bmw fixed the issue by undercutting as suggested above. So, if you find a newer bike or transmission you won't have this problem again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvor
Thanks, searching what you suggested has revealed the unfortunate issue with my bike. I am going to need a trans or a refurb. Hopefully the thing is still salvageable. I can't begin to express my displeasure with BMW with this issue known for so long and they won't stand behind their product. I'll NEVER buy another. I bought this bike thinking if i took good care of it (i work on Volvo's for a living) i'd have it for the rest of my life with only maintenance, Silly me, i expected Quality from BMW !
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2014, 12:46 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I called BMW NA and asked if they would help repair this bike in some way. Nope. And to think I was considering buying a S1000R, not now. BMW won't get anymore of my hard earned money. I wonder if BMW ever checks these forums?

2006 K 1200 R
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2014, 11:56 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

JCW, do you still have a trans for sale? I PM'd you, but thought maybe you didn't see it.

2006 K 1200 R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode