Newbie touching base....... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2015, 2:12 am Thread Starter
Noob

Newbie touching base.......

Hello everyone. Proud owner of an 05 K1200r here. I have lusted after one for ages and finally have it parked in my shed. Just fitted a carbon Remus Hexacon....money we'll spent. Threw the poxxy mirrors in the trash and fitted barend mirrors. Not only do they look great but work really well.
I have new front disc bolts to replace the rusty ones on the bike at the moment but I haven't been able to find the correct tightening torque anywhere. Can anyone help out please.
Great site folks...
Cheers Scooter,
NZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2015, 7:38 am
Noob

Hi Scooter, Welcome aboard. This is a very helpful, friendly site. I suspect there will be a few of us, me included, who envy the great roads and scenery that you have in New Zealand. I hope you enjoy the KR; I have the R Sport with 38k on it and I just can't bring myself to swap it for something newer.

Front disc mounting bolt torque:
Stage 1: 12Nm
Stage 2: 24Nm

Apologies if you're aware of this, but be careful when removing the old ones, especially if they're rusty, to ensure a good fit of the Torx bit. The bolts are inserted with thread lock so they're in tight.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2015, 11:28 am Thread Starter
Noob

Hi Dusty, Thanks for the welcome. Yes we have some great roads here and bugger all traffic on the good ones.

Thanks for the torque settings. I presume the two stages of torque mean pull them down to 12nm first then go back over them to 24nm to finish them off.

Where did you get this info....is there anywhere on the web where I can download a workshop manual for the bike? I have hunted all over with no luck.

Cheers Scooter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2015, 3:49 am
Noob

Looks like I'm the only one on here, Scooter! The Reprom DVD workshop manual is available from a BMW dealer. You may be lucky enough to pick up a used one for your bike on ebay or other similar site.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2015, 4:16 pm

Use a heat gun to soften the thread lock compound when removing the old bolts. It will save a big headache.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2015, 2:21 am
Noob

Good point, Bluzharp; I forgot to mention that although it's not mentioned in the ReProm. I heated mine to approx 100 deg C but they were still tight to unscrew. I also had to drill one out because the torx profile was damaged. All good now although I wonder how long before they and the caliper mounting bolts are an attractive brown colour?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2015, 3:03 am Thread Starter
Noob

Smile

Thanks for the replies guys. New bolts are on with no hassles at all. Really makes a difference to the bike.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode