Corrosion - Final Drive - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2015, 7:44 am Thread Starter
Noob

Corrosion - Final Drive

Dear all fellow riders,
I bought my K1300r in 2009 after having a brilliant K1200R and have had nothing but issues with it since purchasing it. I had another thread titled corrosion which assisted me in having the whole of the engine and final drive assembly replaced by BMW. The initial quote was over £5000 for the work. Since then at least another £4000 pounds has been spend either by BMW or myself rectifying faults. Recently i got to the point where i am taking no more so am going to proceed with taking them to the small claims court. I am happy for them to replace like for like as long as they guarantee it won't corrode.

In Feb this year i paid £545 for a service at a main dealer and was then told that the front suspension is weeping, they told me that in May last year. I asked BMW customer services via the CEO why a front shock should need replacing after 30000 miles. The reply was basically it shouldn't but since i haven't look after the bike it happens. I find this amazing as the guy who stated that has never seen my bike and it has religiously been looked after by the UK's only BMW dealer actually one by BMW. Bit of an insult i thought. I then asked the dealer if they could replace the final drive casing again as it is corroding once more. It was only replaced for the 3rd time in Feb 2014. When it was replaced i was told if i paid the labour i would receive the usual 2 year parts warranty. Spookily when i asked for it to be replaced again they now say it isn't a manufacturing issue. How come it seemed to be on all the other occasions.
Anyway i have tried mediation with BMW over this issue and ever since the bike was 1 year old i have asked for it to be replaced as i believe it to be a Friday afternoon special. I have never asked for it to be replaced for free. I've always offered to pay towards a replacement. I will say the BMW staff have generally been excellent apart from the one who says my bike is neglected but hasn't even been within 80 miles of it.
In the past i have been told that the horrendous gearbox i have complained about since i bought it is actually just characteristics of the gearbox. I personally thought characteristics were something you built into a product, therefor they must have build in its faults (it had most of its internals replaced in the first 18months, still rubbish). I was also told by the same head mechanic that a K1300R wasn't really designed to commute 20 miles in and 20miles out of London. It was designed for the German Autobahns. Why are they selling the bike around the world if this is true?
Over the years i have been offered £500 towards another new bike, £250 towards anything BMW and recently they offered me £2500 towards another bike. Although it sounds great i actually took the bike to Park Lane as requested by a BMW customer service person and explained i was there to part ex my bike and had £2500 from BMW towards said bike. After the salesman saw the list of faults that had been corrected he asked if BMW had instructed for the bike to be scrapped. Obviously he thought i had a worthless bike. I appear to be the owner of scrap metal. Yes i could sell it privately but i wouldn't want to receive a bike like mine so my conscience won't let me do it. If i was after a quick buck i would take the £2500 to Park Lane along with my forces discount, buy a bike at a vastly reduced price and sell it for about £5k profit. That just isn't me. All i want is a bike that lives up to the prestige brand BMW portrays itself to be, my first K1200R did. I bet if i'd bought the equivalent £150,000 Rolls Royce i'd be treated better.

My next step is the small claims court to at least get them to honour the parts warranty, so if anyone has pictures of corrosion or advice i would be extremely grateful.

I have attached photos of the final drive and engine casing. This is the 3rd final drive. The image of the engine casing just proves to me the K1300R and S suffer from major manufacturing flaws. Why would a company machine the parts after they have been sprayed. As you see all that is left is an area of untreated metal ready to accept moisture. Although this bike is ride in the UK it is sprayed with ACF50 and washed down after being ridden on winter roads. Even if it was't looked after you wouldn't expect a BMW product to corrode in a year.

Below is a list of parts i can remember that have been replaced.
Replaced headlight unit
Front wheel bearings replaced
Replace rear frame
Replace number plate carrier
Replace complete rear drive
Removing and installing the middle
Replace all valves x16
Replace engine by running gear
Remove and install oil pump
Replacing shaft sealing ring for coolant pump
Adjust balancing shaft
Adjust valve clearances
Sealing compound
Remove and install engine
Replace cylinder head case
Cylinder head
Many gaskets, bolts, screws and O rings
A cover
Replace starter motor O ring
Replace rear RDC sensor
Replace potentiometer for gear indicator
Replace loom due to hot start issue
Replace final drive assembly again
Replace front wheel bearings again
Impending replacement of front shock
Impending replacement of final drive assembly again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2641.JPG
Views:	414
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	17561   Click image for larger version

Name:	2a.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	17569  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2015, 9:39 am

That is horrible. Not sure if it matters but we see higher corrosion, much higher, in locations that are closer in proximity to the ocean or salt water. Is that the case for your location?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2015, 10:25 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for your reply.
I live just outside London so am about 70 miles from the sea. Sea salt isn't an issue for me and to be honest shouldn't be to anyone when you buy a premium brand.
I was at dealers the other day and noticed most other BMW series of bikes had different shaft drive designs. None seemed to be made quite the same was as K1300's. There were a few other K's in with the same corrosion but i didn't have a camera on me to photograph them. I will try again soon.
If anyone else sees final drive corrosion on a K1300 please take a picture and send it to me. Having never taken a large corporation to court i will need all the supporting evidence i can get.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2015, 8:29 pm

Cancel my comment! I am 50 miles from the Atlantic and 3 miles from the local river and my 08 drive looks brand new(thank goodness) There had to be a bad run of the aluminum from the factory for that to happen or maybe the drives weren't clean before they were painted. Either way unacceptable from a premium brand...or any brand, my buddy has a Honda and he's 200 meters from the Atlantic with none of your issues.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2015, 3:23 am
Noob

I've got a K13GT and a K13S. Both are badly corroded, but the GT is really bad because I use it all year round. The forks, final drive and engine are all just as bad. Shocking.

I plan on respraying the GT final drive to tidy it up a bit, but I'll probably just part-x the bike when the time comes as I do not want to try to sell these poorly finished bikes privately.

My friend has a K12GT that he uses all year round and we go on bike tours to Europe. His bike has no corrosion at all.

The K13 bikes are badly made.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GT - 2c.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	378.3 KB
ID:	17738   Click image for larger version

Name:	GT - 1c.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	419.8 KB
ID:	17746   Click image for larger version

Name:	GT - 3c.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	350.6 KB
ID:	17754   Click image for larger version

Name:	S - 1c.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	375.4 KB
ID:	17762   Click image for larger version

Name:	S - 2c.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	416.2 KB
ID:	17770  

Last edited by Gobuchul; Apr 19th, 2015 at 3:32 am.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2015, 3:40 am
Noob

Oh yes, and apart from the fact they are corroding to bits, the GT had to have a new clutch at 10,000 miles and the S had a new clutch at 16,000 miles. Picked up the S yesterday after a month in the dealers having the camshafts changed as the hardened coating had started to come off them - it has only done 18,000 miles.

Fantastic bikes to ride, expensive bikes to own.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2015, 5:06 am Thread Starter
Noob

corrosion

Thanks for you post and pictures. I was starting to think i was the only one. I totally agree that the bike itself is fantastic but the build quality is not good. My K12r was perfect so maybe its the manufacturing process of the K13's that is not up to the expected standards BMW should deliver. Bikes are made to ride whenever you want not just on Sundays.
I'll keep you informed of the next stage as my adviser has told me to continue with the small claims court. Your images will help massively.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode