Battery? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2015, 11:05 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Battery?

I have a 2007 K1200r Sport. My battery is about a year old. I only ride the bike about once a week. Last week I rode on Saturday no problem after being on the tender until it was solid green. I rode sunday...no tender. rode Monday afternoon of an hour ride. stalled in the driveway and the bike would not start. would not turn over. I put on the charger...it took 2 hours to turn green. starts fine now. I get a yellow warning then red then nothing. what problem do I have? Bad battery or bad charging system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2015, 12:35 am
Noob

The battery should not get "worse" while riding the bike, would suspect battery problem... Peter
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2015, 10:55 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks. I took the battery back to cyle gear after being on the tender for a few days and they said it was fine. Told me there was a problem with the charging system. I then took the battery to the BMW dealer who also tested it and said the battery although though 12.6 was dropping to fast under a load. They told me this battery was bad. Of course they offered to sell me a new YUASA. Since I was still under warranty from Cycle Gear I went back and they did in fact replace it. I'm leaving it on the charger tonight and I hope this problem is behind me. I love my BMW but hate the repair bills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2015, 4:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcfan
Thanks. I took the battery back to cyle gear after being on the tender for a few days and they said it was fine. Told me there was a problem with the charging system. I then took the battery to the BMW dealer who also tested it and said the battery although though 12.6 was dropping to fast under a load. They told me this battery was bad. Of course they offered to sell me a new YUASA. Since I was still under warranty from Cycle Gear I went back and they did in fact replace it. I'm leaving it on the charger tonight and I hope this problem is behind me. I love my BMW but hate the repair bills.
I've found you do get what you pay for with regards to batteries. Although any brand can have a bad one slip through I've found spending the extra money on a Yuasa, Panasonic or Odyssey has been the best for me even with the extra cost. I've also heard good things about WestCo and MotoBatt.

How did Cycle Gear check your battery? If they are like most of the auto parts places a quick check with a hand-held conductance battery analyzer is the test. While this will identify a failed battery I've found that they don't always identify a weak one. This requires a good load test. I ran into the same situation with the battery on my truck. If it was not run in a couple of days the battery was too weak for a start. Did a quick test for an excessive parasitic draw, finding none I took it to Advance Auto for some warranty credit. It passed their test so I then used the tester at work to find it weak. When I went back with the printout from the GM tester they gave me warranty credit on a new battery.

Sounds like the BMW dealer treated you well...

Nick
1993 K75S
1991 R100RT
1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ Seca
1978 R100S
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2015, 10:11 pm
Enthusiast

I've ordered a Shorai LFX21A6-BS12 which they say will work for my 2005 K1200R. I have one that has been holding up well in my V-Max. You can ask me in a few weeks whether it worked.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2015, 12:50 pm
Enthusiast

I can confirm that the Shorai works in my bike. A minor issue is that the +/- terminals are reversed relative to the BMW's battery. That can be remedied by flipping the battery and lying it flat, which will allow the leads to just reach the correct terminals. This is my 4th battery for the bike, including the one that came dead from a dealer. Hopefully it outlasts the others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode