Front brake squeal - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2015, 5:54 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Front brake squeal

While there is a previous thread related to this subject, there is nothing recent and I'm wondering if all of these bikes have this issue. My 2007 K1200R which I've owned for 9 months has loud front brake squeal when stopping from about 25kmh (15mph) down to zero. Looking online it seems the issue was common on these bikes; how many owners here have this problem and have you found a solution? I've read a couple of times that owners have fixed it with SBS brake shims; anyone have experience with these? I have tried deglazing the pads, putting a chamfer on the edges of the pads and using that rubbery goo on the back of the pads but as soon as they build up some dust (20kms?) it starts again. It only happens on the front brakes. Also, any recommendations on brand and model of pads?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2015, 9:46 am
Addict

I'm not sure what you are referring to when saying rubbery goo on back of the pads. But, you are supposed to use a very light coating, very light coat of Copper Paste on the back of the pads.

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2015, 1:53 pm
Rookie

Hi,

Had this same problem on my 2005 K1200S, I've attached a BMW bulletin that overviews a fix using some different rubber insulated wave washers on the rotors. All of the parts called out are still available from BMW
Attached Files
File Type: pdf K1200 Rotor.pdf (126.0 KB, 50 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2015, 9:53 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks. I'm not sure that BMW issued this recall in Australia but I'll be chasing them up about it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2015, 11:56 pm
Rookie

I'm not so sure it was a Recall versus one of those bullitens that fall into the "if the customer complains enough" category

Regardless the parts are inexpensive, I wou;d also order new rotor attachment bolts if you are doing this
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2015, 7:37 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I'm pleased to say that after a year of searching online forums, talking to BMW mechanics and trying everything possible to remedy this, I found the answer in a Reply in an obscure thread from years ago on another forum. And it's simple; you have to de-glaze the rotors when you de-glaze the pads in order to remove built-up material there. A Scotchbrite scourer pad cleaned up the rotors and voila - no more noise!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2015, 7:49 am
Noob

Or do some hard breaking, as you slow down and need less breaking just use the rear breaks. Don't ride the breaks lightly and slowly to a stop.

2005 K1200R 57,000 km

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode