K1200R sport/naked fairing swap? (back and forth) - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2015, 1:29 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Question K1200R sport/naked fairing swap? (back and forth)

Hi K-community,

me

This is my first post on this K-bikes forum. My name is Gilles (named after the formula 1 pilot Gilles Villeneuve), I'm Belgian and had a BMW R1100R (grey, red saddle) for 4 years until my accident in 2007 (car hit me from behind, no injuries after a week of bruises).

Since a few months, I'm riding motorcycles again and the time has come to get my own bike again.

about my next bikes :-)

I'm totally blown away by the 6 cylinder K1600 ... and I'm betting (somewhat) that BMW will bring a naked version of that bike in the near future. That's what I'll have when they're hitting the 2nd hand market with some mileage on them (I'm hardly ever buying cars/bikes new).

Until then, I'm eager to add quite some miles on a powerful, stable, impressive naked bike. I test drove a K1300R some weeks ago and my mind is set: a K12R/K13R it will be.

Since a K12R Sport is more often than not cheaper than the 'non-Sport' true naked version ... and since I like a bit of color (but not that much those screaming colors like yellow, orange or green) and I like that silver engine/drivetrain/wheels more than the black version ... I'm debating whether to buy a regular K12R or one of those blue metallic K12R Sport:

The latter has the advantage of the fairing; there are even high windscreens and side wind deflectors on the market with which a very comfortable travel bike can be made. I will "need" that 2-4 times a year (1 week's motorcycle trip with passenger).

For the rest of the year, I would like to drive a true naked bike. Because naked.
But that would require some parts and some handywork, hence my questions.

my questions

(1) Is it feasable to swap the Sport-fairing for the naked-look? Not once, but "regularly"? E.g. when the lady says she'll go with me to a 5 days' tour to Scotland, I want to be able to mount the 'Sport'-fairing on an evening (2-3 hours). Or is that too much to wish for?

I'm quite handy, I have some fair mechanic's feeling but hardly any experience. Deassembling something does not frighten me, especially when there's some good (and possibly illustrated) guidance nearby (handbook, BMW instructions, ...).

(2) I looked up the parts of the bikes on realoem.com but still I'm not sure what parts I would need to make the swap from a "Sport" to a normal "R":
  1. left and right side covers (possibly carbon aftermarket ones)
  2. headlight unit
  3. (optional) front fork "fender" panels
  4. something else?

Anyone got an idea? Are you, or do you know someone who did this?
It would be an awesome help in the decision making. Thanks a lot!

A soon-to-be-K12R-rider
Gilles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2015, 8:31 pm

You won't need the fork covers, the front fender works on either model and probably won't make much difference. The headlight and housing are going to be the issue. You could probably put a plug adapter on the different headlights but you are going to have to deal with some major surgery to complete the process. You might be better off getting a silver engine/frame K1200R and getting a larger windscreen. Much easier to swap the screen for a standard flyscreen and get both looks.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2015, 12:12 am Thread Starter
Noob

Hi dodgeem, thank you for your reply.

Yes, the fork covers are optional, I know. I just mentioned them as such, for when the naked look must be complete. I'm a sucker for such things, so even with major surgery on the headlight, I'd still take the effort to take off the "S" fender and swap it for the "R" fork covers. :-) (I've yet to figure out whether the actual black plastic fender underneath the coloured S fender is the same as on the R, so maybe that's another part to obtain for the swap to be complete.)

Howcome would the headlight be the problem? Do they have different connectors? It seems to me the headlights are the same, apart from the silver housing with the R while being open with the R Sport (and integrated in the fairing ofcourse) ... it would be logical that they have the same connector then? But maybe I'm seriously underestimating the BMW logic here (I've had some cars of the brand apart, mainly the interior, and in terms of wiring I didn't always find my logical suppositions to be true...)

By major surgery, you mean that the effort to make the swap would be too big? I've read some posts on forums about removing the fairing, and those parts (of the process) gave me the impression it should be possible (at least once) but I honestly don't know if that's true.

Correct, a black-on-silver K12R would be a fair choice as well, but the onces for sale here currently are all pre-2007 and I would like a 2007 onwards (brake system for ASC retrofit).

Thanks again for your replies!

Last edited by gTa9000; Jul 28th, 2015 at 12:18 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode