A K12R newbie here with a couple of questions - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2015, 2:17 pm Thread Starter
Noob

A K12R newbie here with a couple of questions

Hi all. Newbie here with a 2006 K1200R.

I've had loads of bike and I thought it was time to try something different than what I consider to be the usual.

I've never had a BMW before and I've always liked the futuristic look of the K12R.

I've got a mint yellow and black one that doesn't have ABS and ESA, which was another reason for getting it, less to go wrong. I'm only going off what I've read on the net.

But a couple of things,

I've learnt to ride the bike above 2000rpm when I have to ride at slow speed limits to stop the drive train slap. It appears that they all do this? Because of the fuel injection.

But the one I'd like some input on is the clutch lever. It seems very heavy/hard to live with. I can't do more than ten miles and then I'm in absolute agony. I'd need a solution for this.

I know that the 12R has a 32mm clutch slave cylinder and the 13R has a 34mm one to help. I was thinking of going down the route of the Oberon clutch slave cylinder, 36mm as some of you know.

Is this my solution? will it make the difference I'm looking for? Any other ideas?

Just need to sort this then all will be well.

A great bike and a great site. Thanks lads.

Zorst/Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2015, 3:47 pm
Noob

Zorst,

I also just bought a 2006 K1200R and I noticed the clutch lever has a heavy pull, but does not pose a problem for me.

Most of my miles are on my 2006 Harley FXSTB. The controls on most other bikes I've ridden felt weak and cheap in comparison.

I would suggest that you stick with it until your hand muscles get used to it.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2016, 11:50 pm
Noob

I don't use clutch for up shifting except for the first gear. I bought 2006 K1200R last summer and speed shifting works like a charm and shifts smoothly without a clunk. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2016, 8:29 pm

Something seems wrong. I too do a ton of miles on a older HD with a stiff clutch the k12r is about 1/3 the weight, never had a problem since I've "trained" on a Road King but it shouldn't be that stiff.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2017, 11:37 pm
Noob

I recently got a 2006 K12R. I too have found the clutch heavy when in traffic. I also have a 2009 R12R and a 2002 R12C and they are light compared to the k. I have ordered the Oberon which is said to be about 30% less in pull. The other issue was the pull length. To be fully disengaged the lever needs to be against the grip. Then there is a very long travel upon release that starts to bite quite near where the lever rests. I have bled the system and installed the K13s last iteration of the clutch oil jet nozzle. Nothing changed so I await the Oberon.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2017, 12:07 pm
Noob

Hello, I received the Oberon slave and have installed it. Yes, the reduced pull is noticeable. Nothing earth shattering, but I'm no longer aware of any demands. It's now just part of the background.
I have always used just two fingers because of an issue with the last two. On my R12R I put Pazzo levers and they are wonderful in their adjustability. But on this K12R any after market levers for the clutch would find no advantage in this feature. On this bike, I must pull the lever from as far out as it can be, right to the grip to disengage the clutch. I'm told this is the characteristic of the clutch's diaphragm spring. So I cut off all the lever except that which would accommodate my two fingers and a locating/anti-slip ball. The ball is from lamp fixture parts found at Home Depot. Drilled the lever and counter sunk for a bolt. Maybe not the most aesthetic looking but functions very well along with the Oberon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4751.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	22017  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode