K1200R probs :( - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2015, 9:50 am Thread Starter
Noob

K1200R probs :(

Hi all just registered so newbie here,
my R started running a bit rough a few months back , running not as smooth as it use to so took it to my local bike shop who straight away diagnosed as plugs , so plugs where changed and it seemed good for a few days , it then was running worse than ever , its best described as an old car with damp ignition probs , it runs fine on high revs but pulling away its seems to have a bit of a stutter and once ya get over 4k revs it seems fine , even after a long journey its no different , took it back to the bike shop and after sat on the diagnostic machine for quite a while he tells me no errors and it revs soo smooth and crisp .Not the same story while driving it .
the bike has the usual rattle on start up (cam chain tension) so i was wondering if it was possible if the chain is quiet loose could this throw out the cam timing ??
i know theres a big issue with the cam chain tension on K bikes so i asked my bike shop to replace with a new hydraulic tentioner , after they spoke to our local bmw dealer they advised him to leave it alone and do not fit a new tentioner , this seems very strange to me
can anybody shed some light on a possible cause ?? could it be something as simple as a faulty plug thats just been changed or am i asking the impossible.
Bike is a 2006 model and has done 22k miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2015, 9:57 am

My seat of the pants, free internet guess is ignition coils. They seem to fail more regularly than they ought to. They do not throw a code when they go, they just strand you. Try using an infrared thermometer on the headers when it is idling rough to see if you can locate a cold one. Another method is to just replace them. They're about $170 each, so not exactly cheap. They will strand you if 2 go out at the same time. I know this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2015, 7:40 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks i had thought of a coil pack but i figured this would throw out a error code so good to know they dont , will order 1 and try that , gonna be awkward to figure out which 1 it is but i'm sure i can figure something out thanks again .
will keep you informed if the problem gets resolved .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2015, 3:53 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Ok just just wanted to say a big thanks to bluzharp , i know its been a while but just got around to changing some coil packs today and its now running just as it should be .
Not as much hard work as i first though either ..

Thanks Again .
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2016, 6:12 pm

Good to hear that you got it sorted. How many did you replace? Mine were the outside 2 cylinders, 1 and 4.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2016, 12:24 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Hi i found 3 on ebay in germany , shame he only had 3 but i took the risk of changing 1,2,and 3 , i figure 2 and 3 take slightly more heat than 1 and 4 , and although i still have no idea which coilpack was at fault she's now running like she use to , so happy days

she away for the winter now ,but soon starting to take her apart for a full repray and powder coated wheels.
roll on march / april when the sun starts to shine again.

still aint decided between Matt Black or High gloss Black
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 6:14 am
Rookie

I picked up a 11/2005 build K12r today and it went like the clappers until the fuel light came on and I was riding suburban streets.
It was running rough at lower rpm/gears but once I filled up it seemed fine.
Any clues to this one?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2016, 6:43 am
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerboy81
I picked up a 11/2005 build K12r today and it went like the clappers until the fuel light came on and I was riding suburban streets.
It was running rough at lower rpm/gears but once I filled up it seemed fine.
Any clues to this one?
My 2005 K12r Hates slow riding, it is hard work keeping it smooth, bought a brand new K12S in 2005 which was equally difficult to red slowly, so much so I got rid of it coz I needed to commute and needed something smoother, 1200gs done the job. Mind you I love the smoothness once the K gets moving, they're mega quick ain't they.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode