K1200RS Mirrors on K1200R - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2006, 6:27 am Thread Starter

K1200RS Mirrors on K1200R

Struggled with the mirror question and received good support from here and from available vendors (Santa Cruz) but just couldn't make the move.

I always liked the K1200RS mirrors and even added them to my R1150R (straight bolt on). But they are completely different from the K1200R at the stem and I was conflicted.

Bought a set anyway and spent several days pondering possibilities. The K-R uses a compression fitting on the handlebar that has a 10mm coarse thread base and a 10mm compression fitting at the top that receives the mirror stem...etc

Meanwhile the K-RS uses a bolt through that goes through the handlebar control fitting and is molded to fit while using an 8mm thread and hex nut to secure it.

Still, the wind tunnel designed K-RS has very nicely sculpted mirror stems and I was convinced I could get 'there' with enough thought.

Considered and rejected several options. One criterion was to do no harm to the existing K-R fittngs or handlebar.

Finally, opted for the following (using tools I either owned or acquired inexpensively). I made a complete set of measurements of lengths and diameters using a precision Vernier Caliper and I was cautious to check and recheck my work.

1. Cut about 1.25" from the bottom of the K1200RS mirror stem (which removes the 8mm threaded section and a little more).

2. Using a hand operated tap and die kit, I cut down the remaining stem section for another 1.25" first to 12mm x1.5 coarse threaded, then to 11mm, then to 10mm. Working slowly and carefully, etc.

3. Mated the newly milled K-RS stem to the K-R base fitting and tested the fit, finish, etc. The threads allowed me to position the mirror almost right where I wanted it. Either a lock nut was needed to get proper tension or a spacer at the bottom of the hole to stop the arm at the correct angle to the handlebar. I used the spacer and Red Loctite, after checking and rechecking, of course, to get the arm positioned just so.

4. The result- hard to see because the flash on the pic washed it out some (I'll get a daylight shot soon)- is a lower profile, semi-integrated looking, nicely completed project.

http://homepage.mac.com/camfarm/.Pic...S%20Mirror.jpg

5. The view from the K-RS rectangular mirror is only slightly better, but wider angled. I am comfortable with the result. The look is good.

Not a project for the faint-hearted because there is a risk of harming the K-R threaded fitting and the K-RS mirrors become unusable for other purposes, including resale. But I am pleased.

Last note: I spent about 6 months wanting a different mirror set-up. I spent 1 week thinking about buying the K-RS mirrors ($60 apiece). I spent 4 days pondering the approach. I spent 4-6 hours completing the effort. So this is absolutely not a bolt-on solution.

Thoughts, comments, criticisms?

Last edited by camfarm; Apr 8th, 2006 at 6:59 am. Reason: add pic link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2006, 7:11 am

Yeah, definatly need a daylight photo.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2006, 8:33 am

Looks like quite a project...

but I'm like you in that once I get an idea in my head (silly or not) It usually brews to the point I do something (and usually stupidly) but sometimes I get lucky and come up with something neat. I don't like the stock mirrors either and thought I might go down the path of bar end mirrors but so far I not convinced. I have an extra set of KTM "Duke" mirrors that I might throw on for giggles... good for you though, I'll look forward to seeing your mirrors from another angle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2006, 12:23 pm

Great idea of yours, camfarm... I might poke around ebay and see whats available. I like the profile of the ones you chose to go with. Thanks for the R&D!!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2006, 2:51 pm Thread Starter

Daylight Pics

Not an accomplished photog...

http://homepage.mac.com/camfarm/PhotoAlbum6.html
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2006, 4:42 am
Veteran

That looks very "factory" - nicely done!

F800GS - Grey/Black
KTM SuperDuke R
K1200R - Yellow/Black - Crashed 2008-09-01. I'm an eedjit.
Site: JLHPv5, Weblog: JLHPBv2
'Ring Toy - Evo Race Filters - Sportec M3 - Sandbar Dogbones - Tidy Tail - USB Power Plug - eTrex Legend C - Abba Superbike stand - R&G Crash Protectors (tested!) - Relocated Battery - Pirelli Diablo Corsa III (190/55 rear) - Evo O2 Modifier - Pazzo Levers - Earl's Straight Braided Brake Hoses - Wilbers Fully Adjustable Shocks Front and Rear
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2006, 11:15 pm

Would like to know where you got your mirrors and windshield , Please looks great
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2006, 5:45 am
"Alpha Squirrel" and nutcracker.

Location: The " Jersey Shore" in the mountains of Toms River, New Jersey, USA
Luv my CRG's, thanx to a poster here. Small, but cool....and very functional.
http://www.constructorsrg.com/products/street.html I really like the 'ol school' cafe racer look. 2t2f

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory.....lasts forever. Shane Falco,"The Replacements" 00'
7.1 and done...06' K1200R-EZ Tuning Exhaust, EVO billet clutch slave, Evo dual race filter kit, Braking 'Wave' rotors and pads, Triton2 tail, Vario levers, Evo peg lowering kit, SW Motech crash bars, R&G sliders full set, Nippy Norman's rear fiberglass hugger, CRG bar end mirrors, ACS shield, RhinoMoto bar end sliders and CRG mounts, Evoluzione o2 modifier, Pazzo "shorty" levers, Cortech Sport Tail Bag and Saddlebags.....
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2006, 10:12 am
"Alpha Squirrel" and nutcracker.

Location: The " Jersey Shore" in the mountains of Toms River, New Jersey, USA
CRG bar end mirrors....again

Took some pics if the mirrors t'day and thought I'd post'em. Lollipops are gone......2t2f
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K12R 010.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	2568   Click image for larger version

Name:	K12R 018.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	2569   Click image for larger version

Name:	K12R 019.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	2570   Click image for larger version

Name:	K12R 017.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	2571   Click image for larger version

Name:	K12R 016.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	2572  

Click image for larger version

Name:	K12R 012.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	2573  

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory.....lasts forever. Shane Falco,"The Replacements" 00'
7.1 and done...06' K1200R-EZ Tuning Exhaust, EVO billet clutch slave, Evo dual race filter kit, Braking 'Wave' rotors and pads, Triton2 tail, Vario levers, Evo peg lowering kit, SW Motech crash bars, R&G sliders full set, Nippy Norman's rear fiberglass hugger, CRG bar end mirrors, ACS shield, RhinoMoto bar end sliders and CRG mounts, Evoluzione o2 modifier, Pazzo "shorty" levers, Cortech Sport Tail Bag and Saddlebags.....
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2006, 11:00 am Thread Starter

BMW parts

Marty,

Just saw this post today.

Mirrors are from the 2002-2003 K1200RS (not GT round-eyes but ovals).
01 51167653773 left rear view mirror BUY 1 $59.00
01 51167653774 right rear view mirror BUY 1 $59.00

Screen is the BMW Speedster Screen (R1100R/R1150R/R1200C).
02 46637661283 windshield BUY 1 $177.99

The screen mounts are almost a good line up. No drilling, just squeeze gently and loosely tighten everything as you fit it. I replaced the existing filister head screws with 5x50 bolts of the same thread and used oversize well nuts (35mm) as spacers...

Different and functional.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode