ABS & ASC how to check if a bike has got such? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 2016, 12:53 pm Thread Starter
Noob

ABS & ASC how to check if a bike has got such?

Dear members, first of all, greetings from Hungary!

Im planning to buy a K1200R.

Could somebody please help me out in the following: how to check if a bike has got ABS and/or ASC?

My assumptions:

ABS: the metal ring on the front and rear rim means that bike has got ABS. Also, I can test it while braking.

ASC: My first assumption is that ASC comes with ABS, so if a bike has got ABS it has got ASC also. My second assumption is that there should be a control light on the instrument gauge.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2017, 11:10 pm
Noob

Garage
Szevasz Iceman!
ABS :
The abs on the K12R's dash comes up before you start rolling forward,saying "brake failure".
As soon as you start moving the system checks the abs and the red warning goes away.
As you said the ABS system has a ring on the front wheel and a sensor.
I would not really test the ABS...you have to pull on the brake lever really hard to make them "tick" and that is dangerous with this heavy bike.
ASC: BMW ASC (Automatic Stability Control) -- worth it? | Adventure Rider
The above link will answer your question.
Hope this helps

Laci
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2017, 9:38 am
Noob

Going downhill on a wet road and hitting the rear brake enough is an easy way to activate the ABS without having a problem. You don't have to be going very fast for it to try to lock. I did that to cycle the ABS when I flushed the brake fluid. I agree with slatanik, it's not a good idea to try it with the front brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode