K1300 R idle problem - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2017, 11:52 am Thread Starter
Noob

K1300 R idle problem

Hi. I had an idle problem with my 2012 K1300R which got worse over time. It started occasionally to stall when idling when it was hot and got worse over several months where it would not idle at all after if got hot and you could not shut the throttle off without it stalling. After a second visit to BMW they sorted it out for me, and this is what they said..The fault you had was caused by a combination of things. The breather pipes between the engine and bottom of air box were blocked with residue, this can be caused by atmospheric conditions (plus heat from engine) causing moisture to congeal and block the lines. This then causes a pressure build up which pushes oil to rise to the top of the engine and into the air box. Then as the idle actuator sits at the bottom of the air box this can then become contaminated with oil and not function correctly. Over time this can progressively get worse to the point that we got to with yours.
The repair to fix this was basically cleaning these parts out (air lines, idle actuator and air box). Hope this helps out and hopefully saves you some time and money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2017, 1:32 pm
Noob

When I took off the air box on my 2007 K1200 R Sport I saw a lot of debris. With 7 vacuum lines and two or three electrical connections there is a lot of stuff there and it was pretty dirty on the outside and the inside. Good idea to get in there and clean it all up. The clamps on the air box are a little tricky without the right tool but a small screwdriver and a pair of needle nose with a lot of patience gets it done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode