Need some brake assistance . . . - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2017, 10:52 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Need some brake assistance . . .

I found out that there was no switch on the front brake controls for the brake light. I ordered a switch, but then have had a hard time finding the cable. I manufactured one from a rear brake cable, but then found no where to plug it in on the wiring harness. Obviously the rear plug connector is different so I plan to wire manually to the front brake wires. I then pulled off the right front fairings looking for anywhere to plug into the harness.
A. I have not been able to find a wiring diagram that gives me the actual color wire.
B. There are two plugs in the front. One takes a 5 point connector and the other takes a 4 point. The 4 point connector has a cover so I am thinking this one may have been for some type of accessory or ESA that my bide does not have. Is kthe five point connector the one that I need to use? Anybody have any pics of their connector? Suggestions? I have had 23 other bikes and have never had this much difficulty in parts and instructions. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2017, 2:51 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Opened up the fairings while I was installing the Procom Powerjet fuel controller. While in there, I was trying to find my front brake switch wire. I decided to follow the rear brake switch wire only to discover that there is no such thing. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the ABS module is the actual sending unit for the brake signal. I recently straight piped my front brakes due to the ABS failure and mushy feel, which is probably why the rear brake light works but the front does not. Can anyone confirm my findings?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2017, 11:15 pm

D00D, You're shade-treeing something you don't understand. In other words (IOW) you're a hack and other colorful descriptions.

I find it real hard to believe that you are more knowledgeable than a crapload of folks who invented motorcycle ABS. Have a nice day.

'09 K1300 GT
Fortune favors the prepared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2017, 3:58 am
Rookie

Sounds like you'll need to fit one of these

Hydraulic Brake Pressure Switch Light Banjo Bolt M10 x 1.25mm for Suzuki Yamaha | eBay

Example item - not suggesting that specific one

Cheers

Ian

97 K1200RS "Fixer Upper"
85 GPZ1000RX
85 GPZ600R
89 RG250 Gamma (heart transplant - 350 YPVS Blue smoke std)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2017, 4:53 am
Noob

The K1200/1300 series bikes have a CANBus system - which basically means the bike has an onboard computer network which connects sensors and switches to a central computer module, rather than a plain 'loom' like old bikes. So - each sensor or switch doesn't just send a 'yes/no' (on or off) signal, it can send a range of values to the computer (depending on what it's doing).

So - there's no brake light switch from the front lever or the front hoses because the computer tells the brake light to go on when the brakes are activated - NOT a switch. (the switch tells the computer to use the brakes, the computer then does all the things that need to be done - activate the brake servo, keep an eye on the sensor values from the ABS ring on the front wheel, turn on the brake light etc etc).

If you've replaced the ABS hydraulic hoses with plain 'lever - calliper' hoses (I understand the reasoning!) then you'll have to find some other way to activate the brake light, which will involve 'hacking' the electrical network somehow.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2017, 8:06 am Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Perfect. Thanks for the tip!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2017, 8:15 am Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceburner View Post
The K1200/1300 series bikes have a CANBus system - which basically means the bike has an onboard computer network which connects sensors and switches to a central computer module, rather than a plain 'loom' like old bikes. So - each sensor or switch doesn't just send a 'yes/no' (on or off) signal, it can send a range of values to the computer (depending on what it's doing).

So - there's no brake light switch from the front lever or the front hoses because the computer tells the brake light to go on when the brakes are activated - NOT a switch. (the switch tells the computer to use the brakes, the computer then does all the things that need to be done - activate the brake servo, keep an eye on the sensor values from the ABS ring on the front wheel, turn on the brake light etc etc).

If you've replaced the ABS hydraulic hoses with plain 'lever - calliper' hoses (I understand the reasoning!) then you'll have to find some other way to activate the brake light, which will involve 'hacking' the electrical network somehow.
Thanks for the clarity! Without the ABS functioning properly, the brakes were very mushy. Turns out there had been an electrical fire under the seat prior to me so I have been working against those issues. Again, thanks for a lucid and informative response.

Tags
brakes, front

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode