K1200R Sport Gearbox problems :S - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2017, 1:00 am Thread Starter
Noob

K1200R Sport Gearbox problems :S

Hello bimer friends.

I have been enjoying my K1200RS 2007 for two years. Best bike i have ever owned. Before i bought it ive seen that there are some issues with gearbox. Now i have them too. I use bike for riding in two + laguage. So 80% riding is turing. Somethimes with my buddies we go a bit faster, higher rpm. About 2 months ago i was pushing it to do 10k RPM. In fourth gear it slipped out :S I tought it was my mistake, that i accidently tuched somehow shifter and it came down in third or maybe i did not pushed it right in fourt gear....Since then no problems at all, but i was mainly turing.

Yesterday again problems with fourth gear. At about 10-11kRPM it pops out to third. It is really scarry
To make sure i tried the same procedure and again it poped out.

Since i am a mechanic there is no problem repairing gearbox on my own. If my problem is that shiffting forks are bent i can replace them with new.

BUT WHAT IF GEARS ARE DAMAGED? How could Bmw wont send seperate gears??? Only full Gearbox?

Please let me hear your opinion, from you who had problems like me.

Are gears damaged? Or only bent forks? I wont buy new transmission, because it costs 50% of used bike.

What are the solutins??

Thanks in advance!

Luka, Slovenia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2017, 9:17 am
Noob

Luka,
Had the same problem with my 06 1200r only 2nd gear and the run around began.
The reason BMW doesnt sell individual gears is because by the time they got done reworking that transmission when they stopped making the bike the trans components were no longer backwards compatible with the old trans. My understanding is that the gear dogs were straight cut and under the monster torque of these bikes they can round and hence the slipping out of gear we are experiencing,.

I lucked out and found a used trans with 5,000miles on it and jsut did a straight swap.
The option i was looking at before that fell into my lap was going to be to remove the trans and send it off to a trans shop to have the gear dogs welded/undercut. That was going to be about $500-$1000 USD with the purchase of the appropriate new shifter forks(still compatible with old trans to my knowledge).
Moving forward if you cant find a replacement trans i would sent out the current one to be modified and replace the shifter forks that are affected while your at it.
Definitly buy the reprom manual and the clutch basket wrench(75$)(Ask me why i know to buy this haha) because the clutch nut is torqued on there at 200 nm and it is a mother to get off. Also recommend using a electric or pnumo impact to remove that because it is a bear!
IF you have any questions let me know!
Cheers!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode