BMW Break ECU during Software upgrade - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SpaceViking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 6:49 am Thread Starter
Noob

BMW Break ECU during Software upgrade

Hi guys,
my new to me K12R went to Cotswold BMW in Cheltenham UK on friday to get a software update for the ECU.
Long story short, the bike was running ok (apart from on off throttle response between open and closed throttle) but during the update, loads of faults came up. They found the airbox wasnt properly attached and after refitting with clamps this time the error coming through is that the ECU is faulty.
The guy was pretty laid back about it, yeah this happens sometimes. £727 bill to fix... I bet he's laid back about it...

So has anyone has issues with BMW breaking their bike while its been in for some work?
TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2018, 9:58 pm

That doesn't sound like BMW broke your bike.
If the throttle wasn't working then the bike was already broken.
They probably got it out of limp-home mode so that all the fault codes were reported and then addressed them.
If your airbox wasn't attached correctly then the air-fuel mix wasn't working, so the engine wasn't working properly. That is probably why your throttle was not working properly.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2018, 5:07 am

Garage
Yes, I'd agree with SteveMac. If the Airbox comes loose, it can get ugly fast as you will usually get a lean condition and that can fry the whole motor right now. Has the Airbox been off previously and reinstalled badly perhaps? The factory clamps are a real pain in the ass and can pop off if not reinstalled correctly. They can be replaced with traditional hose clamps providing they are the correct width; 3/8" not the readily available 1/2". The wider clamps will damage the rubber sleeves they sit in. I can't speak for hardware availability in the UK but that's typical here in the US.

Also the 1200s have been round so long, all the Updates, notices and recalls should have been over long ago. Maybe the UK is very different?

Just curious; Did the Rear Wheel Aluminum mounting plate on British K-Bikes get replaced with a forged steel unit on a recall as here in the States?
paulotex likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2018, 8:44 am Thread Starter
Noob

Hi guys,
Thanks for the input.

The weird thing is the bike was running ok, just had a really on/off throttle at and around the opening/steady/closing point.

So BMW suggested i book it in for a software update on the ECU. It took 3 attempts before they got it to stick and one of the codes is for faulty DME.
Before it went it, there was no surging, and tickover was fine (sounded racey but was only 1200 rpm maybe.
Now it ticks over maybe 800 rpm and surges to 2500-3000 rpm when you throttle off.

My question is, would it run ok on the old software even if the DME was shot? Did they fry the DME? Or is there something else at play.
Supposedly they checked all the other faults and the only one they come back to is the DME.

Finally, is the DME bike specific or model specific...?

Ironically they fixed the on off throttle but wrecked the nice revving and smooth surge free tickover
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2018, 4:44 am

Garage
My experience is that if surging or hunting is rithmic, it's the ECM. If it's speratic and more drastic, there's a chance it's a hose leak or a sensor. The various elec. components should always show up on the codes. You have to do some searching when it's a cracked or frayed hose. I had the Secondary Breather line from the topend to the back of the airbox take as shit. it surged at idle and blew very rich at high rpm. That was a fail safe feature to keep the engine from burning up lean from the increased air.

If they can't get the ECM update to take correctly the next thing they are going to want to do is start selling you new major electronic components and it's at that point you have to decide if you want to start spending that kind of money on a 10 year old bike. My take on it is there are lots of latter 1300s which got most of the problems from the 1200s fixed and you can pick them up for pretty cheap.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2018, 6:12 pm

Updating the ECU is normal during a major service.
It is a very minor update to mapping.
If you have problems still then you need a mechanic that has access to the electronics to see all the readings, but also has the knowledge to interpret them and see what is not quite right.
If you have a leak or sensor error then the ECU will operate the engine incorrectly.
There is no reason why an update shouldn't take. It could be an electrical problem with the power or earthing on the bike. That will affect the programming connection.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode