Clutch Engagement / Lever Pull - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2019, 7:16 am Thread Starter
Noob

Clutch Engagement / Lever Pull

Hello All,

Attached is a photo of my '07 K1200R Sport. I purchased it last July with approx. 36K on the odo. I now have 41K (light mileage due to snowy winter in Colorado). This is the first wedge that I have owned. I have the following question:

1) When releasing the clutch, the engagement point is very close to the point of releasing the handle. This of course makes quick shifting quick and easy. Is that the way this system is designed? Is there a way to adjust it so that it releases a little sooner?

2) It usually idles as about 11-1200 RPMs. There may frequently be a little waiver in the needle when stopped.

3) When starting to move, if I rev it a little too much and release the clutch too quickly, sometimes i hear sort of a humming sound coming from the clutch. Can someone tell me what that is? Is it something that I should be concerned about.

4) Is there any way to soften the clutch lever pull so that it requires less force to engage and disengage?

Other than those items, the bike is a beast. I love the performance and handling.

Please respond only with information that you know to be accurate. If you don't know and are guessing, please refrain from posting. No disrespect intended.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k1200rsport_home-cropped.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	24383  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2019, 7:29 pm
Noob

These clutches are fussy. For the most part the clutch lever must be pulled right to the grip. Anything less, the max. separation of plates is shorted. This includes having the lever set at maximum distance. Although you might be able to play with that a bit. See how hard it is to get into first. As you noted, this setup does allow for fast shifting.

The K12 original slave I think is 32 mm in diameter. The K13 went with a 34 mm diameter. Oberon makes a 36mm slave. As the diameter goes up, the throw of the slave goes down. But the larger diameter does make the amount of pull needed less. The master cylinder pushes a finite amount of fluid to the slave. So the wider the piston on the slave the less distance it will move. Which means there is the potencial for incomplete plate separation.

I have a K13 and put on a K12 slave to maximize the slave throw. I had an Oberon on my K12. Yes it did make the pull easier. But the clunk into first made me wince. It made me wince even before I put it in. The clunk was so loud to start with, I donít know if it did increase with the Oberon. But knowing I was loosing throw, even if only on paper, Iíve gone with the K12 slave on the K13
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2019, 10:45 am Thread Starter
Noob

That is not my experience at all. Mine is just he opposite. It will definitely clunk in even with the clutch pulled in fully. When I release the clutch, it starts moving at the very end of the travel. As you say, it makes for a very fast shift. But, it is tricky starting from a stand still for sure. You need to get use to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2019, 7:11 am
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rglassma View Post
That is not my experience at all. Mine is just he opposite. It will definitely clunk in even with the clutch pulled in fully. When I release the clutch, it starts moving at the very end of the travel. As you say, it makes for a very fast shift. But, it is tricky starting from a stand still for sure. You need to get use to it.
^this.
The idle speed can be variable and feel occasionally rough. Normal for these things.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2019, 3:20 pm
Noob

On my 2005 K1200S there is an adjustment screw (seen on page 49 in the Owners Manual) that provides a small amount of adjustment. If more is needed, there is (at least on mine) a 2mm Allen (hex) screw that moves the clutch rod back and forth. To move the clutch engagement closer to the handlebar turn it counter-clockwise.

Tags
clutch, k1200r, transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode