Considering an 06 k12r. What to look for? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2019, 2:48 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Considering an 06 k12r. What to look for?

Hello. I am coming to you from the world of R bikes. Type 247 (airhead) and type 259 (oilhead) specifically. My baby just broke my heart when the connecting rod umm... disappeared... and I now have to opportunity to score an 06 k1200r for a great price. I know nothing about the k bikes aside from the impressive specs. What should I look for with this bike? What upgrades would you recomend?

Thanks for your time!
-Mikey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2019, 5:45 pm

Make sure there is no timing chain rattle, if it's low miles you can add the jump guard and chain tensioner. Also those had some trouble with the early ABS if it's equipped. Other than that it's a great unique bike that is tons of fun that turns a lot of heads.

Good luck and let us know if you move forward with it.

Brian
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2019, 6:37 pm
Rookie

Garage
Make sure all the Recalls have been done. Contact your local BMW and give them the Vin number. They can tell you what recalls were done and if there's any open recalls that need to be addressed. Also the Timing chain jump guard was a recall campaign.
RobertWilmoth likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2019, 7:11 pm
Noob

Considering an 06 k12r. What to look for?

I had an 06 K12R for 2 years, loved and hated the bike. Yeah it turned heads and was fast...... it depends what you want to use the bike for. For around town riding, the clutch is very heavy and will wear your hand out quickly. For touring it was comfortable and could handle lots of miles, but the engine is so strong that it's constantly trying to rip your arms off haha.

I can't remember off the top of my head but there's a sensor or fuel strip or something inside the gas tank that is prone to going out..... so much so that BMW warrantied that particular part for 12 years from the date of sale. Mine had had that same part replaced 6 times by the time I got it!

I also paid very little for this bike and it had very low miles. Approximately $4,500 for an '06 K1200R with 11,000 miles on it.

I can't really recommend this bike for the following reasons:
Extremely expensive to maintain. Changing out the brake fluid was $450 alone
Eats fuel. Not fuel efficient
High curb weight.... not very "flickable" in the twisties
VERY clunky gearbox. This is common on BMW's so you might be OK with it
Not many aftermarket parts

Pros are:
Extremely uncommon
Fast as hell

Good luck with purchase!!!

Last edited by bmwk75owner; Jul 31st, 2019 at 7:13 pm. Reason: Copy/pasted wrong
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 7:46 pm

Another major reason I picked this bike is the size, at 6'7" 260 lbs there are not many bikes that fit and this one does. Not sure it's a concern but for me anything else needed serious mods to be this comfortable.

Brian
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2019, 8:32 am
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeem View Post
Another major reason I picked this bike is the size, at 6'7" 260 lbs there are not many bikes that fit and this one does. Not sure it's a concern but for me anything else needed serious mods to be this comfortable.

Brian
If you like it and it checks out...buy it
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2019, 2:41 pm
Noob

How many miles? Are you prepared to do your own maintenance? My thoughts immediately replcae the came chain tensioner with a manual one (APE) for instance and you should be fine. These bikes should be a performance bargain if you buy them right.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2019, 3:15 pm

dodgeem, I'm also about 6'6" and 280, but I find the seat-to-peg distance a bit short. Should mention my bike is a 2010 K13GT but expect similar considerations will apply to the K12.

A pal was going to get me a Corbin seat until they admitted all their seats are 2" shorter... I need on at least 2" taller. If I could find a used pan I'd have a go at constructing my own seat, how hard can it be? Some polyethylene foam and a softer top layer, some vinyl, pop rivets... if it fails I get to reconstruct it using another foam. And it doesn't have to be black, cuz my bike sits in the sun all day at work.

I've seen drop pegs advertised and though they look nice, they aren't inexpensive. I suppose it may depend on the condition of your knees and tolerance for the bend angle the bike imposes. Mine are a bit stiff from sitting at a desk all day.

Parts aren't cheap, bike likes gas. But on the open road it's an ICBM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2019, 9:41 pm

I must have short shins and long thighs! I tried everything around before I got mine and it was a Suzuki Bandit 1200, a Yamaha R1 (which was horrible on the wrists and upper body) or the K12R. It was the best of all...minus the maintenance.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2019, 6:33 pm
Noob

Selling an 07 K1200 R located in CT. Asking 4,500.00 perfect condition with 12K on the clock. I agree with some of the comments regarding the bike, a bit bulky, fuel mileage is dreadful but beside that I have found it and other variants quite reliable. Chain tensioner upgrade a must, good luck, let me know if you have any interest

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode