k1200 1300 clutch mods ?? - Page 3 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2019, 3:10 pm

John Sykes Youtube videos indexed FWIW

John Sykes (online as 4hundredfour, Youtube user sharealike1) K1200 and K1300 clutch videos. The later videos are more explanatory than the early ones. Sadly much of his commentary and discovery was lost when i-bmwr went down.

youtube.com/watch?v=9Jg-QH_V5Fc lamellar pack fitment July 11, 2017

youtube.com/watch?v=efDzOO65X8w more about improving oil flow Nov. 28, 2016

youtube.com/watch?v=XbZB3wFWp1E clutch rebuild update Mar 5, 2016

youtube.com/watch?v=dL5-fOwTXoo K12 vs K13 clutches Nov. 30, 2015

youtube.com/watch?v=-uhwsNbMbIw oil delivery to clutch June 22, 2015

youtube.com/watch?v=EOAt8Atvpt8 oil pump runs but no oil to clutch June 20, 2015

youtube.com/watch?v=uFBjE7Ttwk0 clutch disassembly, why they vibrate June 19, 2015

youtube.com/watch?v=kZOvagDL7BM poor hub lube, antijudder spring essential June 19, 2015

youtube.com/watch?v=RUoJhN2JCHY inner plate loose Mar 11, 2015

youtube.com/watch?v=tc0_90qeu6k Dec. 29, 2012

youtube.com/watch?v=o_iyJK7YXIg basket rocks but does not rotate Dec. 7, 2012

youtube.com/watch?v=NoeOY5fPXWo donít shim your springs tight Sept. 29, 2012

youtube.com/watch?v=4X7AZk21xWU Belville spring on its seat Mar 9, 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2019, 5:38 pm
Noob

Barnett clutch as a fix for my 2007 K1200gt.

Pumacorp has said that the Barnett solution is not quite the best fix. Is there anyone out there that has installed the Barnett clutch plates that can give an opinion about how it improves the clutch action? He also says that the addition of an additional on half thickness plate will completely solve the problems. Has anyone tried that and if so how did that work? I'm trying to figure out if this is something I can do or should I have Mr. Sykes do it?
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2019, 6:38 pm
Rookie

I think the main problem with the clutches was oil feed which is why BMW lowered the engine oil viscosity and produced 3 different thrust adapters (clutch push rods) to fix the problem. I don't think fitting anything without addressing the oil feed problem will solve anything in the long term. If you are prepared to get John Sykes to do the work, go for it.
jb63 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 5:15 pm
Noob

Clutch mods.

I am still trying to get some feedback on the Barnett fix. The BMW dealer that I talked to today is happy to do the installation of the Barnett clutch package but will not drill out the basket for improved oil transportation to the plates. Is there anyone that has the Barnett fix who would like to comment on the results? I am perplexed. I love my K1200 GT on the road but I am debating if I should just forget the repair and buy another bike because of all the problems of riding it at low speeds around town.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 12:18 pm
Noob

I installed a Barnett clutch and it helped, but it's not the whole fix. John Sykes has a set of springs made for the rebuild. The other components you can do. The clutch push rod for improved oil flow. Drilling out the basket holes for improved oil flow. Dimpled steel rings for oil retention. When you order your clutch ask for dimpled steel rings. A friend of mine said Barnett makes them , but I don't know that for a fact. Your best bet might be to order a clutch from John Sykes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clutch rod 001.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	25623   Click image for larger version

Name:	clutch rod 002.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	987.1 KB
ID:	25625   Click image for larger version

Name:	clutch rod 004.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	25633  

Last edited by jb63; Nov 23rd, 2019 at 1:57 pm.
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 8:51 pm

Garage
Anyone know where to find rivets and springs that work for this clutch?

I could do all work in the clutch myself those parts are stopping me.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2019, 8:37 pm
Enthusiast

I have put only a couple of hundred kís on my 2016 K13R that I bought with only 5000kms on it and frankly the clutch is a big disappointment compared to the clutch/transmission on my old K12RS with 182,000kms. Itís still faultless and totally silent with every shift, including into first. Yes, I know itís a dry clutch but still.... I am very keen to know what is the best fix for this issue and whether early intervention is the cheapest way forward before too much damage is done. it seems the last of the model run has many of the fixes addressed but still not a satisfactory outcome. Following this thread with much interest.

2002 K1200RS Owned from new. Pacific Blue of course. Suspended on Ohlins. 182,000kmís
2016 K1300R Black, 5000kmís
The family history
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2019, 4:38 pm
Noob

clutch removal tools

Some where on this site (I think) someone has volunteered to let fellow inmates use his clutch removal tools for K1200 bikes . Does anyone know if he is still on the site and if so how to contact him? If he isn't available is there anybody out there who has the tools and would rent/lend them out? Thanks for any incite anyone may have.
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2019, 9:50 pm
Noob

Thomas I did the barnett clutch and it made a huge difference. I still get a little chatter off idle but it shifts like butter. My basket was a little notchy where the plates lock in but i tried to clean that up as best as possible. My springs still rattle like crazy in neutral when hot but I just pull in the clutch. Bike has 87k on it. I have the tools for the clutch if you want to borrow let me know...
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 2019, 6:39 am
Noob

clutch mods

Thanks for the reply lazydog. I located a complete clutch from a 2010 K1300 and am having it sent to me. I under stand that most of the issues with the earlier clutches were remedied in the K1300 clutches. I know that the thrust adapter on the 1300s has 2 oil grooves. I will evaluate the condition of the plates when the clutch arrives. I guess it jumped the gun on the tools. I ordered them over the weekend. If I can cancel the order I would like to take you up on your offer to let me use them. Thanks again for your kind offer. I will be in touch as things progress.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode