k1200 1300 clutch mods ?? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 10:15 pm Thread Starter
Noob

k1200 1300 clutch mods ??

Has anyone tried to add an extra steel plate ???I am going to try to add an extra steel plate at the very end of the clutch pack...
Any one tried anything similar ??Im thinking instead of the anti judder crap and that other spring...,, 1 steel plate could work ..
Its sad that BMW doesnt take the responsibility of admitting they screwed up and made shit clutch baskets !!

..I see a bit of room to add a 2nd spring as well...I have done that on other bikes to add a strong spring ....Taking the spacer out and adding another spring I think might work..Ive built many 1/4 mile race bikes and those are a lot of the tricks that I have used on many bikes in the past .. .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 1st, 2019, 12:00 pm

Hi Bill C from I BMW site. The guy to ask is 4hundredfour. I contacted him last night (he resides in England) and asked him to come over to the K Bikes forum. If he does, he is the gold standard rebuild and tech guy for our clutches. He rebuilt my K1200R basket and fitted the Barnette clutch. My clutch basket is quiet as a church mouse and the clutch no longer has the old bad BMW clutch issues.

Very happy with his work!

Bill C
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 12:10 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for info..I would love to pick his brain...So I added the extra steel..It literally made this an awesome clutch ..No clunk quiet as hell and shifts perfectly ...Heres the bad ..Being I lost the extra travel in the spring it goes passed the springs strongest point and and doesnt apply enough spring pressure now ..So now the next step is to machine down both sides of the basket ..To make room for the extra plate ..Or take out the spring spacer which would almost give me some of the extra steel clearance I need ..

Barnett clutch seems to be a little bigger than stock so it makes a little issue there as well ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 6th, 2019, 1:55 pm Thread Starter
Noob

conclusion to fixing the clutch

Understand most of you doing a clutch change will notice that your outer basket clutch plate has worn down and has scraped up the basket...My steel plate idea originally was to stop the judder and crappy engagement ,,but when I saw how badly my basket surface was adding a steel plate over the surface wear was the only way to fix a bad basket surface ...or goto a machine shop and have the surface cut down,,but that would add to the problems of the stack height further ...So this was the cheapest and easiest way to go ..

The anti judder spring and plate was BMW's way of trying to fix a bad stack height and they failed miserably ..

So for a quick fix I took out the spring retainer seat out ..Its the round wire steel that goes in between the diaphragm spring and the outer basket... .So the results are amazing ..The clutch grabs like hell..Stack height is better than original... ..I believe when they developed this clutch the whole issues were in fact the stack height being too short thus making the spring in a position of not having full tension on the plates causing not a full force engagement ...That would cause a judder all day long and premature wear ...My bike does not judder the slightest bit and I am running 15-40 oil no less ...No oil getting the the 1st plate was a bit of a problem so I drilled a hole to fox that issue but not getting full engagement will wear and judder and clutch trust me ..

The basket is legit only off a half of a steel plate thickness ..Not much but is a lot when u are dealing with stack heights ..

I will take this clutch out and inspect my spring seat to see how badly it wore out ..When I inspected the original spring and seat it didnt seem to show really any wear at 50k miles ...So Im not so sure that it will show any significant wear ....

So u have 3 options

1......add a steel plate from ur old clutch and take off spring retainer ..
2. Add a steel plate and take that plate and have any machine shop mill it to 50% of the thickness ..
3. Add steel and have your basket milled down 50% of the original steel plate thickness ..
Old Aug 6th, 2019, 3:09 pm

I among many others closely read everything Bill Sykes (4hundredfour) posted to the ibmwr site. He seems to have great depth in the BMW and other clutches (specially compared to myself who know nothing).

pumacorp, would like to see pics of your solution with some explanation how/why it works. You could have a going business if you find an effective solution to the clunky K44 clutches, specially if you're closer to me in Honolulu, Hawaii.
Old Aug 7th, 2019, 2:36 am
Noob

I have just had my clutch reworked by John Sykes. (4hundredfour) and fitted it yesterday. My 2008 K1200R has 104000km and the clutch sounded like a Ducati dry clutch at idle. John machined the clutch basket,fitted new springs made to his specs, fitted a new set of steel and friction plates and centred the lamellar pack. I won’t mention the cost ‘cos that could change depending on circumstances. John advised that my clutch was just about to loose all drive but his work still cost less than a BMW clutch set with the same old problems. I did buy a k13 thrust adaptor (pushrod) with the extra groove for increased oil flow to the clutch. During the process John answered many questions, keeping me fully informed. My first ride was amazing. No rattle and a smooth progressive take up. No clunk from neutral to first or first to second. It felt as though my gearbox had been rebuilt. Because of the clutch components he uses he is able to add an extra steel and friction plate. His work is amazing so I have included his email should you wish to contact him. Check out his videos on YouTube
mailto:[email protected]

It's so nice to be insane No one asks you to explain
Old Aug 7th, 2019, 12:43 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I didnt take pics

I can easily fix any of these clutches ..The only problem is I am in NJ and shipping would be too expensive ...I will try to make a video in the future to help other people out and avoid spending tons of money when they dont have to ,,..Barnett addressed the issue slightly but not enough ..They did thicken the plated a tad and made the stack height a bit better ,,they were just off slightly and thats where my half plate comes in or full plate and no spring retainer ..This is a quick fix to those who arent daring enough machine shop parts etc ...There are tons of people who own BMW bikes and dont have money so I am here to help those people ...BMW bikes used are very affordable and anyone can own them ...So that negates someone commenting with "if you. cant afford a BMW dont buy one " Cause these bikes arent far off of the pice of jap bikes ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu View Post
I among many others closely read everything Bill Sykes (4hundredfour) posted to the ibmwr site. He seems to have great depth in the BMW and other clutches (specially compared to myself who know nothing).

pumacorp, would like to see pics of your solution with some explanation how/why it works. You could have a going business if you find an effective solution to the clunky K44 clutches, specially if you're closer to me in Honolulu, Hawaii.
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 6:37 am
Noob

Cool

John Sykes. (4hundredfour) is the man to go to. I did this mod about 2 years ago because my 2007 K1200GT had a terrible judder. I had already drilled the extra oil hole and my basket was still in good shape so John sold me just the matching anti-judder spring and plate. The results where fantastic !! No more judder , smooth clutch engagement and better overall clutch feel. John is a wealth of knowledge and a great guy!!
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 1:28 pm

I too had John rebuild and improve my clutch. For the first time in many years, I am now enjoying my bike. Johns work is amazing.

Bill
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 9:48 pm

John Sykes (4hundredfour) posted videos of his work on our (and Vstrom) clutches on the i-bmwr forum. Reading this thread got me wondering how to get back to them.

Good news: found 'em without too much pain.

His username on youtube is/was "sharealike1" so search 'em up using that keyword, sieve out the stuff that's inapplicable, and you'll have a master class in BMW K12 and K13 clutches.

The first one I found is at

I was thinking to edit this post and make a chronological list of his videos, but once you can find one, I think you'll find them all. It might be good to watch them in chrono sequence.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in